The awesomeness that is City of Blinding Lights!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
intedomine said:
The clip is not of the best quality for me to give a real opinion on. At the moment i'm preferring the clip of Miracle Drug but don't get me wrong, on first listen i think that City of Blinding Lights sounds like something pretty special.
Reminds me of Joshua Tree and sounds like Coldplay, although froma much more experienced band...

Im not gonna listen to it much though, i wanna hold out for until the album, but whether i actually can is another matter.

Y'know. It's pretty odd but that is not the first post I've read today that said that a U2 song sounds like Coldplay. U2 sounds like Coldplay because Coldplay has always tried to sound like U2. Just my take.

Coldplay, Radiohead, R.E.M and U2. Best groups to listen to.

Jet, The Strokes, The White Stripes, The Vines?

Best groups NOT TO listen to.

Sorry not a fan of these guys. As for the song, awesome! Miracle Drug..awesome, Vertigo..awesome, in fact....HTDAAB - AWESOME!!

where are the leaks?:wink:

Hey I like The White Stripes alot. Just listen to Death Letter or Hello Operator. Awesome!!

Jet, The Strokes and The Vines suck though...

artdirector said:
Coldplay, Radiohead, R.E.M and U2. Best groups to listen to.

Jet, The Strokes, The White Stripes, The Vines?

Best groups NOT TO listen to.

Sorry not a fan of these guys. As for the song, awesome! Miracle Drug..awesome, Vertigo..awesome, in fact....HTDAAB - AWESOME!!

where are the leaks?:wink:

Don't get me started on The Vines Jet or The White Stripes....yukkkkkkkkkkkk!

Hopefully Jet miss out on winning arias tonight....

REM, Coldplay and u2 are all masters of their craft...

Sleep Over Jack said:
Coldplay are tedious, anonymous drivel...White Stripes are one the most exciting bands of the last few years :)

Coldplay's Amsterdam is one of the most moving songs ive heard in ages. It's pure class!

intedomine said:

Coldplay's Amsterdam is one of the most moving songs ive heard in ages. It's pure class!

i especially loved it when they played that song live when they came to toronto (they broadcast the whole thing on the edge 102.1)

intedomine said:

The only truly great Coldplay song are Clocks, The Scientist (extremely moving song about breaking up. This one really hits home), and Yellow. IMO of course.

I personally think R.E.M is really overated.

shart1780 said:

The only truly great Coldplay song are Clocks, The Scientist (extremely moving song about breaking up. This one really hits home), and Yellow. IMO of course.

I personally think R.E.M is really overated.

the music video of the scientist almost made me cry :sad:

REM rocks.. Automatic for the People is just as good as Achtung Baby.. and their new album around the sun, it might not be as good as those two albums, but it stands its ground against the likes of All That You Can't Leave Behind & Coldplay's A Rush of Blood to the Head

shart1780 said:
Hey I like The White Stripes alot. Just listen to Death Letter or Hello Operator. Awesome!!

Jet, The Strokes and The Vines suck though...

i dont think you can put Jet in the same category as the strokes and the vines..... Jet are far more eclectic, far more talented, and far more relevant..... imho.....

mkjc said:

No!!!!!! It's gonna be hard enough for us to get tickets around here without more people coming in from out of town. But yeah COBL at MSG will be one of the highlights of the upcoming tour.

Hey I'm originally from the area so don't be knocking on me....It's as much my birthright as it is yours...:grumpy:

mkjc said:

No!!!!!! It's gonna be hard enough for us to get tickets around here without more people coming in from out of town. But yeah COBL at MSG will be one of the highlights of the upcoming tour.

im in the same state, is that acceptable? :wink:

Not to get off the subject of the thread, but to continue: the White Stripes are great!! Jack White is an amazing guitar player, have you heard "Ball and Biscuit?" Anyway, back to the important stuff: a day later, my reaction to COBL, just as great as it was on my first listen!

JOFO said:
so far, we've heard:
vertigo
love and peace or else
city of blinding lights
all because of you

now, the last 3 not even in their entirety, and they blow vertigo out of the water.
and those 3 are supposedly not even the best on the album????:faint:

jesus jumpin christ....this album could be everything they said it is.
:applaud: :dance: :shocked:

dont forget mirical drug, weve heard that one 2 :D

quadcaster said:

dont forget mirical drug, weve heard that one 2 :D

doh!!:banghead:

yeah...which just so happens to be another great tune (from what we can make out).

:ohmy:

ZeroDude said:
coldplay are boring very much unlike U2................

i don't know about that...

U2 sort of brought about a rock & roll revival with ATYCLB after years of no rock albums to write home about, Coldplay & Evanescence came out with great albums that everyone noticed

The Killers are far better, exciting and have better tunes than Coldplay, I mean there is no attitude in their music, emotion sure but U2 have got it all in spades.

Wow! Just checking through this thread, I am so surprised at the response to City Of Blinding Lights.

I have heard the low-quality mp3 and have sort of gotten the gist of the song structure and the melodies and the lyrics.

Let me tell you, at the end of the day it will just be another average typical U2 song.

Do you guys honestly believe it can hold a candle to such classics as Where The Streets Have No Name, Stay, One, With Or Without You, Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, etc.? I don't think so.

With the main sing-along part saying "oh you look so beautiful tonight" - it represents weak lyrics that seem like they were pulled off a page of the boyband songwriting manual.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Wow! Just checking through this thread, I am so surprised at the response to City Of Blinding Lights.

I have heard the low-quality mp3 and have sort of gotten the gist of the song structure and the melodies and the lyrics.

Let me tell you, at the end of the day it will just be another average typical U2 song.

Do you guys honestly believe it can hold a candle to such classics as Where The Streets Have No Name, Stay, One, With Or Without You, Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, etc.? I don't think so.

With the main sing-along part saying "oh you look so beautiful tonight" - it represents weak lyrics that seem like they were pulled off a page of the boyband songwriting manual.

Cheers,

J

Yes we honestly believe that it is one of their best works.

by the way: "oh you look so beautiful tonight" isn't a reference to physical beauty, if you think it is that, you are being shallow

Last edited:
It's hard to say if COBL will honestly be considered a U2 classic when all is said and done - but whether or not it really ends up standing tall next to Streets, it's a great song nonetheless. I can tell that from the crappy recording (which I am very grateful for, by the way... something to tide me over til the real bomb is dropped). COBL is emotional, catchy, and diverse... U2 is back and I have a strong feeling that they're about to conquer the stratosphere yet again... Vertigo is a rockin' first single, COBL is just beautiful, and ABOY has "hit single" written all over it. HTDAAB is going to be brilliant; I have no doubt in my mind.

As for other bands - personally I love Coldplay. Trouble, Clocks, God Put a Smile Upon Your Face, Amsterdam, and Moses are brilliant songs. The Strokes are a fun band too, I don't know why everyone is dissin' on them. Jet and The Vines though...especially Jet...ugh, don't get me started. :tsk:

After most of these postive reviews, I've finally listened to this song twice.

I'm not really "feeling" it right now. I really like ABOY right now. Maybe this will grow on me like most great U2 songs. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Back
Top Bottom