The 2008 MLB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:

i get to see him try and close saturday :hi5:

So how did that go for you Headache? :tongue:

And Speedracer, two blown saves this early in the season may be cause for concern but come on now, it's a little early to call the signing a complete bust already, don't you think?

FullonEdge2 said:

So how did that go for you Headache? :tongue:

And Speedracer, two blown saves this early in the season may be cause for concern but come on now, it's a little early to call the signing a complete bust already, don't you think?

Does the half-season of complete suck from last season and the inclusion in the Mitchell Report not concern you?

It concerns me, yes, but I'm willing to give him a chance yet since overall he's looked good since the season opener. Did he ever look good in the slightest with the Sox?

FullonEdge2 said:
It concerns me, yes, but I'm willing to give him a chance yet since overall he's looked good since the season opener.

Fair enuf.

Did he ever look good in the slightest with the Sox?

20 G, 18.2 IP, 26 H, 14 ER, 9 BB, 22 K, 6.75 ERA, nearly cost the Red Sox the pennant.

I thought he was a good acquisition for Boston at the time, and he did get guys to swing and miss, but he couldn't get his changeup over the plate consistently (hence the high BB total) and threw a flat fastball that got whacked all over the ballpark; MLB scouts had said similar things before the trade took place.

Last edited:
Wow Timlin looks well-toasted doesn't he? It's sad that he's so bad that I'm actively standing and cheering Javier Lopez coming in to replace him (and Lopez was very good, as was Delcarmen).

More concerning is that it's the new Giambi and wrong Molina doing the damage.

I know you can win with a closer who doesn't throw particularly hard (see the '04 Sox and Keith Foulke), but guys like Borowski (and Wickman, and TJones to an extent) just don't cut it IMO. When you pull your setup man for your closer and the other team's confidence jumps that's a bad thing...when Betancourt came out and Borowski came in I was like "OK we're in business".

Wow, the Sox are 9-6, through a trip to Japan, a crapload of away games, playing some good opponenst, with Mike Lowell injured and Big Papi hitting like a dead cat. I'm impressed.

Manny is going to have another spectacular year. He's off to a great start and it's helping since Papi is doing nothing right now but he'll snap out of it and get back to the way he was.

^ Outstanding.

I'm getting worried about Ortiz. Yeah he'll probably be just fine, but it's concerning...it's not like he's getting unlucky hitting balls at fielders, he's not hitting the ball hard at all and the hits he's getting are mostly bloops and flares like he got on Monday. I remember seeing both Jim Rice and Jack Clark fall off a cliff seemingly overnight, there's no guarantee that Ortiz won't do the same.

phanan said:

One clean inning and it goes down to 20.25.

Still higher than Borowski, though.

Back up to 27.00 after tonight's suckfest against the Yankees.

It was contagious last night...Clay sucked, Batshit sucked...I think only Aardsma escaped unscathed.

Maybe this is considered heresy, but I'm entirely sick and tired of Yankee/Red Sox games, especially in April. Save them for at least May or even June. It's no fun watching a game that moves at a glacial pace. I'm not expecting a 2:15 game each time out, but give me something under 3 hours.

So, King Felix anyone? Would be 4-0 without Seattle's bullpen. Still is 2-0, 30.2 innings in 4 starts, 1.47 ERA, 24 Ks. Pretty damn good for just turning 22.

Well, the starting pitchers in tonight's Red Sox-Yankees game are sucking again.

Or at least one of them is.

last night's yankee/red sox game started at 7:05. the mets/nationals game started at 7:10. the first innings were almost identical. the visiting team scratched a run, the home team hit a homerun (or two in the yankees case).

when the met/national game ended, the yankee/red sox game had just started the top of the 6th.

this is why i can't watch american league baseball.

Anyone else catch Peter Gammons channelling Pedro last night on BBTN?

"Who is Kyle Farnsworth to throw at Manny Ramirez?"

I'm stunned nobody got drilled for that, warnings be damned. I mean Jesus, as hard as he throws he could have killed him.

I'm with you randhall, I just don't get excited for it anymore. And the games really haven't been that bad yet, other than the Wednesday night slugfest...the first 2 Fenway games had a decent pace to them. It'll get worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom