The 2007 FIA Formula 1 World Championship thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! Alonso misses by 1 point of a third straight drivers championship, Hamilton's last 2 races cost him big, and Raikkonen finally breaks through.

Tough year for McLaren :wink:

But who's gonna complain about Ferrari sticking it to them in the end :up:

Great year! :combust:

BonoManiac said:
:hyper: :combust: :ohmy: :faint:

What a race! I'm speechless, but needless to say extremely happy that Raikkonen is the new world champion!

Same here.
What happened the past 2 hours? I still can't believe it!

Whoa! :faint:

DaveC said:
I watched the first hour until football started. What happened after that?

Kimi won.
Alonso 3rd.
Hamilton 7th.

Kimi is world champion with 110 points.
Hamilton is second with 109 points and Alonso is third, also with 109 points.

OMG, drama! In F1, who knew....

Fuel probe casts doubt over title result
Sunday, 21, October, 2007, 23:22

Kimi Raikkonen’s Formula 1 world championship may be in jeopardy after Brazilian Grand Prix stewards launched an investigation into Williams and BMW Sauber for technical irregularities.

Representatives of the two teams were summoned to the stewards’ office on Sunday evening after fuel samples taken from the cars of Nico Rosberg (Williams), Robert Kubica (BMW) and Nick Heidfeld (BMW) – which finished in fourth, fifth and sixth places respectively – showed temperatures outside the permitted range.

Were the three drivers to be disqualified from Sunday’s race, Lewis Hamilton would be promoted to fourth place – giving him, and not Raikkonen, the title.

Article 6.5.5 of the Formula 1 technical regulations stipulates that “no fuel on board the car may be more than 10 degrees centigrade below ambient temperature”.

FIA technical delegate Jo Bauer confirmed in a statement that the Williams and BMW fuel temperatures had deviated by more than that amount in the course of the race.

later....

Stewards confirm Brazilian GP result
Monday, 22, October, 2007, 01:10

Kimi Raikkonen has been confirmed as the 2007 Formula 1 world champion after Brazilian Grand Prix stewards upheld the original race result.

After lengthy deliberations at Interlagos on Sunday evening, the stewards decided not to penalise Williams and BMW Sauber for alleged technical irregularities.

and then....

McLaren appeal puts title result in doubt
Monday, 22, October, 2007, 03:24

The outcome of the 2007 drivers’ world championship has been plunged into renewed doubt after McLaren declared its intention to appeal the decision of the Interlagos stewards not to penalise Williams and BMW Sauber for alleged fuel irregularities.

Can't really say I blame Mclaren.

Congrats to Kimi, it was a long time coming. Unfortuantely some of the racing did not reflect how close the championship was. I set an alarm, but couldn't stay awake.

jacobus said:
congrats to KIMI... well done iceman!
...shame on the mclaren team... you are lousy losers :down:

Why are they sore losers? If they feel they have a case then they have every right to fight their corner. It's not the nicest way to end a season but they've been victim of double standards a few times this season. Didn't Ferrari win the opening race despite using illegal equipment and the FIA let it slide?

^good point.

BMW and Williams were found to have illegal fuel temps which in this case, could increase horsepower. Surely McLaren have a right to appeal the Stewards ruling and have it further investigated. Any team in the same position, including Ferrari, would do the same thing wouldn't they?

Alonso's comments further display his arrogant, immature attitude. He absolutely shocks me considering his hand in the whole spy thing. He just can't handle that his rookie teammate outplayed him. He's a disgrace.

FA - "If he wins the title because of this it wouldn't be fair. I'd be embarrassed for this sport," said Alonso.

"I'm not sure what Lewis would think - I guess if they give you the title, you don't think it's a present but rather that you deserve it. He would be delighted."

"It isn't a secret that they haven't helped me much."

"In the last few races my hands and feet were tied. I had no power to make decisions. I had to race as they told me.

Well let's see Fernie, you threw your bottle out the pram 'cause you got outraced by your teammate. You received illegal info from Ferrari and then when Lewis was outplaying you, you decide to blackmail your boss! The team even still gave you fair treatment after that. Well it's no secret that McLaren is one of the only teams that give it's drivers equality. You, Alonso, wanted an unfair advantage over your teammate being the no. 1 driver in the team. That to me doesn't sound like a true champion, but more like a bad sportsman.

Williams' engineering director Patrick Head on Alonso - "McLaren are a very, very fair team in the way they treat their two drivers."

"Fernando did not contemplate that there would be this young chap, Lewis Hamilton, who would be beating him, and he has reacted to that."

"From what I've seen, it does not look to me, or to many people in the pit-lane, as if Fernando has handled himself particularly well as a sportsman."

Yeah, Alonso is a great talent but he has been pissing me off lately. He's geared up for a return to his old team next season, as he's already signed a letter of intent to race for Renault next year, despite contractual obligations with McLaren

Montezemolo criticises Hamilton, praises Alonso
24 October 2007

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has criticised Lewis Hamilton for giving Kimi Raikkonen a chance of clinching the drivers' crown. At the same throw he also praised Fernando Alonso for his sportsmanship.
Click here

"Alonso is a world class driver in every sense, he's extraordinary," Montezemolo was quoted as saying by Reuters. "I appreciated his sportsmanship very much. He lost by one point and I think that wasn't his fault."

Montezemolo went on to be critical of Lewis Hamilton saying, "He has not always behaved exemplarily."

Has this guy been sucking back on too much of grandpas cough syrup? Hamilton is a rookie in F1 and finished very close to winning the whole thing. He's endured an unusual and amazing amount of pressure for his first year and some of that pressure was racing his 2-time World Champion teammate, which he did successfully.
His teammate Alonso on the other hand couldn't handle the pressure, decided to be a big baby about it, and then blackmail his boss. How on earth does Montezemolo see Alonso as a good sportsman??

He has not always behaved exemplarily??

He's only been in the frickin sport for like six months. Geezus.

Alonso is a grumpy prick whom I don't like anymore. :grumpy:

Here's the 2008 schedule which has the 3 French races in a row again - Monaco, Montreal, Magny-Cours. I'm still iffy on this whole Singapore night race thing but who knows, it might be cool. It will probably feel like Le Mans.

Revised 2008 calendar:

16 March - Australia
23 March - Malaysia
6 April - Bahrain
27 April - Spain
11 May - Turkey
25 May - Monaco
8 June - Canada*
22 June - France
6 July - Great Britain
20 July - Germany
3 August - Hungary
24 August** - Europe***
7 September - Belgium
14 September - Italy
28 September** - Singapore
12 October - Japan
19 October - China
2 November - Brazil

* Provisional
** Subject to circuit approval
*** The 2008 European Grand Prix will take place in Valencia.

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story/?ID=221965&hubname=auto_racing

Alonso negotiates McLaren leave

TSN.ca Staff
11/2/2007 9:00:31 AM

Fernando Alonso will leave McLaren-Mercedes after just one tumultous Formula One season.

"Following a meeting between Fernando Alonso and McLaren, it was agreed that it would be in the best interests of both parties to bring the relationship to an end," the team said in a statement on Friday after Spanish media reports confirmed the split.

"Both parties believe that this was the right decision."

Alonso's agent said the Spaniard is free to sign with any other team without restriction and that neither side would pay a financial penalty for terminating the contract early.

Alonso expressed his disappointment that the situation with the Woking-based team did not work out, saying there were no hard feelings towards the team.

"Since I was a boy I had always wanted to drive for McLaren, but sometimes in life things do not work out," he said. "I continue to believe that McLaren is a great team. Yes, we have had our ups and downs during the season, which has made it extra-challenging for all of us, and it is not a secret that I never really felt at home."

The two-time world champion reiterated that, despite persistent rumors of favouritism within the team - some of which was suggested by Alonso himself - he always felt he had an equal opportunity to win.

Team boss Ron Dennis, whose relationship with the Spaniard deteriorated to the point where he admitted they were not speaking to each other, wished Alonso well.

"He is a great driver but for some reason the combination of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and Fernando has not really worked out, and in the end we reached a stage where none of us could find a way to move forward.

"We all believe that our joint decision to part company is for the best."

Dennis added that an announcement on who will fill Alonso's vacancy next to Lewis Hamilton will be made "in due course". Heikki Kovalainen and Nico Rosberg have been mentioned as possible replacements, however, both are under contract to other teams.

Alonso's departure from McLaren had put the driver's market on hold as teams and drivers waited for a resolution to the ongoing saga. The guessing begins as to where the Spaniard will end up.

Renault boss Flavio Briatore has already said he would be interested in welcoming Alonso back but there is a question of money. The French manufacturer are known to be one of the more frugal teams on the grid and would likely need the help of a sponsor to lure Alonso back, who was reportedly earning more than $25-million US a year at McLaren. Renault have yet to confirm their driver lineup but rookie Heikki Kovalainen appears to be the future of the team, leaving veteran Giancarlo Fisichella on the outside.

Alonso's desire to be the clear number one on a team likely rules Ferrari out of the mix. It would be hard to envision the Scuderia asking Kimi Raikkonen to take a back seat to Alonso, especially after winning the world championship this season. The Spaniard would be walking into the same type of situation he is leaving at McLaren.

Honda and Red Bull have recently emerged as candidates for Alonso. Neither team are immediate contenders for the title, so it would be a few years before the Spaniard could even think of challenging for the title. Money would not be an issue at either team. The driver situation has already been finalized at both teams but as we've seen in F1, there are always ways to get out of a contract.

BMW-Sauber are clearly on the brink of breaking into the top echelon of the sport and it could be that a driver of Alonso's skill and status is what they need to push them over the edge. Pressure will be on the team to score their first win in 2008 as the next step in the team's evolution.

Toyota would appear to be the big unknown. They have a driver opening and they have the money. If Jarno Trulli is willing to play a supporting role - much the same way Fisichella did at Renault - the Japanese team may be able to finally make some strides and break away from the middle of the pack.

Well I'm happy about this, it's about time!

The rumours are that Alonso had a clause in his contract with McLaren that says he can't race for another manufacturer team for 1 year. If this is the case then Red Bull certainly seems to be the option with Web(Flav is his manager) possibly going over to Renault and the unsigned Fisi on his way out.

Could he be just doing a one-off next year before heading to Ferrari in 2009? Other rumours say he has already signed a pre-contract with them starting that year.

Will McLaren choose limited experience with Piquet - who says he wants a Renault seat next year or he'll move somewhere else. Or someone like Paffet(if the Prodrive thing doesn't happen). You would think Dennis is going to want someone with at least some experience and this could be Kovalainen(I think he just has a 1 year contract with Renault) or Williams signed Rosberg.

What if Alonso did move to Red Bull for one year and DC went back to McLaren for one last year of his career? I'd love to see that! He brings winning experience and set-up knowledge for Hamilton.

I think Alonso is headed to Renault, unless there is a serious fuck-up in the negotiations.

It's starting to look more and more like that. Williams has ruled out a switch with Rosberg going to McLaren.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41236

The only thing, is Alonso willing to sign a multi-year deal with Renault as Flav said a 1 year deal wouldn't do? Would this put a spanner in the rumours of him going to Ferrari in '09? If Alonso doesn't go to Renault I think we would see Kovy staying put. This is getting exciting!

FLAVA FLAV!!!!!!!

12502304200507211447039pn7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom