Straya thread part 5 - scallops and slippery dips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My understanding is that it's a party room ballot, yes.

Sounds like they are meeting now.

I see Lee Rhiannon has tweeted that she thinks party members should get a vote too.

It would be amusing if Ludlam got the leadership, he does come across as someone who doesn't hold back and would shake things up a bit.

I see Lee Rhiannon has tweeted that she thinks party members should get a vote too.

To an extent, it's a fair enough criticism. Some Labor person was making a similar dig, although they should talk. If Labor had really let the membership have the final say, Shorten would not hold his present position.

To an extent, it's a fair enough criticism. Some Labor person was making a similar dig, although they should talk. If Labor had really let the membership have the final say, Shorten would not hold his present position.

Haha yeah, that was a bit rich.

I'm wary of rank and file ballots though. Westminster systems have generally operated just fine without them, and I fear it leading to ridiculous US-style primaries.

Here we go, from the Guardian:

"Breaking: Richard Di Natale elected unopposed as leader. Larissa Waters and Scott Ludlam are co-deputy leaders."

:up:

Hmm, this would be a demotion for Bandt. He was deputy leader under Milne.

Turns out Bandt didn't even contest the deputy leadership; the co-deputies were elected unopposed as well. Bandt has said on Twitter that his partner's giving birth soon, so I imagine that would be why.

Okay, as a dirty Sydneysider, why is di Natale a better choice than Ludlam, say? I know nothing about him.

di Natale's a very capable politician. You may recall him from the recent Medicare debates - he's an actual doctor and a public health expert, so his input was more informed than basically anybody else in parliament. He also travelled to west Africa to represent Australia during the ebola crisis after the government refused to send any formal delegation or assistance. Things like that have helped to build his public profile, and I think he'll maintain the tradition of Greens leaders who are very informed and even-tempered in their media persona. I think he'll make a good leader, as long as he can muster sufficient charisma to cut through and reach people.

I'd also be keen on Ludlam as a leader, but I've often heard from people comments about how they think Ludlam's "trying too hard" to be hip and cool. Heaven forbid the guy actually knows a thing or two about IT.

According to this thread something happened with a journo in an interview?? Can anyone help me find out what happened? Some are saying it's a bad look to start with, others are saying it will endear him as he's not taking shit from journos https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/595794575689699328

Sounds like it's coming down to Bandt vs di Natale. Ludlam would also be a good choice. I don't think Hanson-Young is advisable though. She's a very good politician and writes well, but she presents poorly on radio/TV. I find her to come across unpleasant and aggressive, while the likes of Milne, Bandt, or di Natale are warm and even-tempered.

Yeah she does have a reputation for being a little confrontational (right-wingers on Twitter were frothing at the mouth with excitement at the prospect of her being leader) but I like her. Don't know much about di Natale but your post about medicare rang a few bells. I think Ludlam would have been a great choice, he has destroyed everyone on all issues surrounding metadata and IT, and I actually think he seems genuine when he's being "cool", not forced

Someone else was saying Bandt's got a kid on the way, so might not want to jump into the top job right now. and he's still relatively young

Not gonna prejudge Di Natale's effectiveness, but I do get a little weary of this 'I'm not an ideological bloke' talk that young up and comers seem compelled to utter nowadays.

You bloody well should be an ideological bloke (though, in fairness, the disclaimer is probably meant to signal practicality over zealotry). A Green party in Australia or Europe does espouse an identifiable ideology, albeit a somewhat milquetoast one outside of the basic environmental issues. And you'd better believe your opponents on the government benches have an ideology.

The bland 'I'm just here to get the job done, y'all' language that most prominent national politicians spout would be better suited to a bowls club committee or the local shire council.

I think he is right person for the job. Big fan of Bandt but Di Natale comes across as more measured and persuasive than anyone.

Love the fact that he played for the Purple and Golds of Oakleigh as well!

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Can't believe there isn't a UK election thread.

Everyone I know here in Melbourne is appalled with the exit polls and early outcome.

I'm not sure the UK has a future. Scottish independence seems more or less inevitable, notwithstanding last year's referendum.

UK Labour tried aping the Tories in some respects, mirror image of what Aus Labor did two years ago. For what it's worth, it wouldn't surprise me if UK Labour would eventually collapse on itself, ala PASOK.

He's like a slightly more likeable Shorten. A real shame he didn't inherit his father's politics, though.

Some perspective from the UK here, in terms of some of the local... optics - Miliband is generally well liked, but could never shake the 'not a leader' stigma. Labour always came across as a little too needy/desperate vs. Tories just doubling down and being firm. Labours mooted alliance with SNP did not go down well. And remember in many respects Tony Abbott actually makes David Cameron look like Fidel Castro. People hate his austerity for the poor/breaks for wealthy/posh boys club side, but he's nowhere near as beyond the pale as Abbott on issues like climate change (heavily supports), same sex marriage (heavily supports), immigration (heavily defended v UKIP attacks from the right) etc etc etc. Cameron is shit, but he's got nothing on Abbott.

Wonder whether Scotland's huge performance in the election may have a flow-on effect in galvanising support for Plaid Cymru.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

One of the few good things from Australia year 2015

Courtney Barnett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-TDyc83g3o

The guitar solo rivals the edge, the bass line rivals Krist Novoselic, and the video- is out of this world
worship.gif

Still haven't fully listened to that album of hers (if only because what I have heard seems equal parts hit and miss), but that song there is reassuringly far from Darren Hanlon territory, and I think that is a splendid thing.

Ax, I saw this gathering notes on tumblr, I thought you'd find it amusing.

tumblr_nof89epeBO1rqkpiuo1_540.jpg

Incredible.

I don't mind Lewi. I might if I listened to the Js with any remote regularity (I hardly ever do thanks to my trusty ipod) but he just sounds high all the time. The Doctor made me angry.

Back
Top Bottom