Straya thread part 4 - culling the chazzwazzers population

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to wade into the 'history wars' (the sad fact is if people want to know their collective history - and yes, there are reasons to do so beyond economic benefit or stickin' it to the libruls - they will have to seek it out on their own time, in adulthood; and 'twas ever thus), but the school curriculum probably is overcrowded.

That doesn't mean I have any truck with Kevin Donnelly et al.

Schools cannot be all things to all people. As it is, I'm not sure they're much more than training factories slash creches. No fault of the teachers tasked with handling the many and varied demands on their time. Ok, I'm just rambling now.

I just can't believe it. I learnt about Burke & Wills (lot of deaths on their expedition because they didn't listen to Aborigines), Simpson and his donkey (which is fake) and Captain Cook (who first destroyed Aboriginal life) but had no idea about the Myall Creek massacre until I watched Dumb, Drunk and Racist.

two more things 1) Abbott literally said he was going to "shirtfront" Putin

and 2)
bitterfin.jpg

Putin would probably deck Abbott several times over. :lol:

I can't believe Abbott used those actual words though. He really is the Australian answer to Dubya.

Lots of stuttering followed by the recycling of his famous 3 word quotes.

Seriously, y'all should follow Sharri Markson's stories and Twitter. She has brought me so much joy. I think she has the IQ of a fucking peanut but when she was brought in as "media editor" for The Australian they must have sat her down and said "right. Your only job is to consistently, without any shred of subtlety and with complete lack of awareness, mock anything that is remotely left of centre. Republish all praise, ignore all criticism."

I mean today she actually QUOTED AN EDITOR FROM THE AUSTRALIAN.

Seriously, y'all should follow Sharri Markson's stories and Twitter. She has brought me so much joy. I think she has the IQ of a fucking peanut but when she was brought in as "media editor" for The Australian they must have sat her down and said "right. Your only job is to consistently, without any shred of subtlety and with complete lack of awareness, mock anything that is remotely left of centre. Republish all praise, ignore all criticism."

I mean today she actually QUOTED AN EDITOR FROM THE AUSTRALIAN.

Wasn't she on Q&A not too long ago? Interestingly enough I don't remember her being that awful then, if I'm thinking of the right person.

I'm at the point where nothing News Ltd journalists can do surprises me. They're eternal trash eaters, and I'm not talking of the Zizek variety either.

Gosh, she's quite easy on the eye. Plainly ignorant though.

The History wars are back! How lovely? The emphasis seems to be on the positive Western heritage, squarely on our Judeo-Christian heritage? What of it? What is there to really say?

This nation is the nation that it is not because of Judeo-Christian "values", but in spite of them.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

The Putin-baiting from both sides is bizarre and, really, immature. It's obviously entirely for domestic tough guy gain, just not sure if they all realise that this stuff can actually be read/seen outside the country? And it looks ridiculous? Side note: I actually saw old mate Vlad on Saturday.

I always love it how conservatives everywhere are so divided on Putin, in Europe, in Australia, it's funny.

I think that my favourite bit of silly language (self) policing might be 'niggardly'.

That's ridiculous, you might say.

No, it's a thing. There are actual people who, in all sincerity, will avoid using the word 'niggardly' despite

a. its meaning
b. its etymological origin

having precisely zero to do with the n word. And despite them knowing this. It's just, it could be mistaken.

I love how it says 'digitally altered image'. Cause my own photoshop jobs of Jacquie Lambie and Vladimir Putin in bed together are much more convincing. It's just a thing.

I don't think we're at the stage where we can assume anything reported in this country is satire.

I mean.. I could see his excuse being true. We sometimes joke here as if we're the people we're mocking.

But he seems like a pretty reprehensible human being.

I mean.. I could see his excuse being true. We sometimes joke here as if we're the people we're mocking.

But he seems like a pretty reprehensible human being.

You can tell which quotes are from the emails with one individual where he's intentionally going over the top, and which are from emails to other people with whom he is not joking. The language is a bit more moderated but the attitudes are the same.

Also, surely somebody in his position should know that the reason why Aboriginal people have not made a major dent on the public face of Australian literature is because they have been afforded precious few chances to do so in a country where many people would simply ignore a book with an Aboriginal name on the cover. Seriously, what's the betting that Richard Flanagan, who just won the Booker, may not have even got a contract if his name were Richard Mudgeeraba?

Holy shit, some woman on Triple Jay's Hack program just said she thinks Ebola is airborne. I guess it must be the Friday afternoon 'people who don't have a fucking clue' panel.

That is just... that stupid woman (a basketball legend of some kind, apparently) ought to have had her mike cut the moment she said that. Fucking unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom