Songs of Innocence (Bonus Disc) Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just curious, after hearing the acoustic stuff, does anyone think the band could pull off a "Nebraska" type album? I wonder how we'd feel about these songs if we hadn't heard the full production versions first.

Just curious, after hearing the acoustic stuff, does anyone think the band could pull off a "Nebraska" type album? I wonder how we'd feel about these songs if we hadn't heard the full production versions first.

No. U2 is not that band. For me production, sound effects, bleeps, and blops
are part of the U2 studio experience.

I have a feeling the album would get a better reception. These acoustic takes are SHOCKINGLY good. Bono's voice sounds better on them than at any other time post-Lovetown.

I have a friend who soured on U2 after Achtung. He heard the acoustic EBW and it really startled him.

New appreciation for acoustic SFS after the Graham Norton show,fantastic version. Maybe better than the album cut?

Sent from my HTC One using U2 Interference mobile app

Most of the acoustic stuff is AWFUL. Bono's voice is strained and out of tune and the guitar work on most of the acoustic tracks is not noteworthy, really. Surprise, surprise -- they miss the bass and drums big-time!

As I said elsewhere, the bonus disc is only saved by The Crystal Ballroom. The rest of it, I can do without ever hearing again. Blunt, but that's my take right now.

I think they should have put The Crystal Ballroom on the regular album, somewhere in the area of tracks 7-10, and the rest of it should have remained unreleased at this point. Very disappointed in the bonus disc aside from TCR, and Lucifer's Hands is just mind-bogglingly bad really.

This band just can't do enough for their fans can they....
Free surprise album and an entire 2nd disc of material which consists of stuff they didn't need to make. But they did it for the fans and gave us a cool, different version of some of the songs. They haven't done anything like this since AB, yet people continue to complain. If you don't like what's on the bonus disc, don't buy it. Pretty simple. I don't think the acoustics are mind blowing amazing, but I'm still grateful that this band gave us some extra music that they didn't have to do. Some of you people whining about the 2nd disc are just as bad as the people complaining about the album on their phone. Can we critique the songs? Of course. But to rip the band for giving us extra songs is just absurd.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Free surprise album and an entire 2nd disc of material which consists of stuff they didn't need to make. But they did it for the fans and gave us a cool, different version of some of the songs. They haven't done anything like this since AB, yet people continue to complain. If you don't like what's on the bonus disc, don't buy it. Pretty simple. I don't think the acoustics are mind blowing amazing, but I'm still grateful that this band gave us some extra music that they didn't have to do. Some of you people whining about the 2nd disc are just as bad as the people complaining about the album on their phone. Can we critique the songs? Of course. But to rip the band for giving us extra songs is just absurd.

Well said.

We went 5 years with near nothing and in the past year it was like a waste land when it came to getting a new album. Then, they drop 11 songs on us only to follow up with 10 more songs less than a month later and there keeps being talk, from the Band themselves no less, that another album is almost done.

It's an amazing time to be a U2 fan and I couldn't be happier and. I am grateful for all 20+ songs!we have and I'm looking forward to the next batch.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Well said.

We went 5 years with near nothing and in the past year it was like a waste land when it came to getting a new album. Then, they drop 11 songs on us only to follow up with 10 more songs less than a month later and there keeps being talk, from the Band themselves no less, that another album is almost done.

It's an amazing time to be a U2 fan and I couldn't be happier and. I am grateful for all 20+ songs!we have and I'm looking forward to the next batch.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Don't forget that we got Invisible, as well.? #greatestsongever

:up:

Son gs of Whiners

Add me to the list of people who think "Crystal Ballroom" deserves a spot on the main album. Gets better with every listen.

Not a fan of Lucifer's Hands, but it isn't as bad as I first thought.

I did enjoy the acoustic tracks, love the alternate "Sleep Like A Baby Tonight" lyrics, and although I was really hoping for another "Invisible" chorus, I'm very glad they included an extended version of it, and having it hidden is apropos.

For what I expected from their album after a five year wait, I'm ecstatic either way for everything we've heard so far. So, so good. :applaud:

Add me to the list of people who think "Crystal Ballroom" deserves a spot on the main album. Gets better with every listen.

Not a fan of Lucifer's Hands, but it isn't as bad as I first thought.

I did enjoy the acoustic tracks, love the alternate "Sleep Like A Baby Tonight" lyrics, and although I was really hoping for another "Invisible" chorus, I'm very glad they included an extended version of it, and having it hidden is apropos.

For what I expected from their album after a five year wait, I'm ecstatic either way for everything we've heard so far. So, so good. :applaud:

I think SOI doesn't need your help.

Not sure that I could have liked SOI any better than grabbed the deluxe disc.... while not a fan of all of the acoustic arrangements (I have this unfounded fear that U2 will be playing full concert unplugged next tour), Lucifer and Crystal really hammers home how much Im in love with this band. I will continue to say while this album won't break into the top shelf of TUF, AB, TJT, it settles nicely into my next group of War, Zooropa, ATYCLB. :up:

Not sure that I could have liked SOI any better than grabbed the deluxe disc.... while not a fan of all of the acoustic arrangements (I have this unfounded fear that U2 will be playing full concert unplugged next tour), Lucifer and Crystal really hammers home how much Im in love with this band. I will continue to say while this album won't break into the top shelf of TUF, AB, TJT, it settles nicely into my next group of War, Zooropa, ATYCLB. :up:

Tend to agree. Everything except War. It's like the antithesis of this album. Can someone explain how War isn't their worst album, or at least bottom three? SBS and NYD are all time - but Red Light and the Refugee? Album version of 40 does NOTHING for me either. A 10 song album can't have 3 awful songs no matter how brilliant the other 7 are.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom