Songs of Ascent V - The Final Bell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
we look forward to their box sets soon and their back catalogs.

This should be one of the best boxed sets of all time....If we take the band at their word about how many ideas and songs they have...there should be not a song or a version of a song that anybody has ever heard and have enough easily for 4 or 5 full disks.

i think best case we would get an EP by May. I would take that instead of them trying to force an album by June, which has a better chance of being scrapped. Playing songs that haven't been released yet is a bad idea. Not a bad idea for club shows or maybe arena shows but I read enough complaining about "deadspace" at the shows. What really bothers me about an album as well is they have not mentioned producers for it. I know that a lot of material for "horizon" already has the sonic fingerprints of Lanois, Eno, and Lillywhite, but with the new songs they don't have anyone as of yet. We need an announcement by the end of the month or all bets are off. IMO

Can i just ask why is it "best case"? was the most recent bit of news about the new album Bono and Paul Mc talking about it being released in June?

Can i just ask why is it "best case"? was the most recent bit of news about the new album Bono and Paul Mc talking about it being released in June?

what i was trying to say is, if they don't name a producer by February...best case is an EP.

i agree. i would almost rather take the NLOTH outtakes as an EP than get a mixed album full of old and new ideas.

This. I'd rather get a cohesive work even if it is EP length. At least then we'd get a proper mini-form of Songs of Ascent. If they wanted to release a second EP of the newer material at the same time I'd have no problems with that. :shifty:

At this point though I just want to hear some of the NLOTH leftovers even if they mixed in with newer tracks. I suspect a lot of people will create their own SOA's or better NLOTH's with those tracks anyway and not listen to the new album as much. :shrug:

I still don't understand the EP talk. We know they have enough tracks. The only question is if they have a hit single.

With One Vertigo you can have a HTDAAB. No positive angle to releasing only 6 or 8 tracks instead of 11 or 12. If you have the material, you probably want to get it out there. The only question is that hit single....

I doubt we'll get an EP, it's not a very U2 thing to do and I don't think it would say much for their decision making and their creative process if that's the best they can do by June!

I still think we'll get an album by June, the last known quote on the subject was from McGuinne$$ of all people and he said full album in June. I'll go with that.

I doubt we'll get an EP, it's not a very U2 thing to do and I don't think it would say much for their decision making and their creative process if that's the best they can do by June!

I still think we'll get an album by June, the last known quote on the subject was from McGuinne$$ of all people and he said full album in June. I'll go with that.

I think I'd go with that too, as an eternal optimist. In terms of marketing, to have a hit single in May and a new album in June would tie in very nicely indeed with what's bound to be a huge 'first time they've ever played Glastonbury' campaign on radio, tv and in print for the festival at the end of June. What better than a new album to go with such hype?

I like how we got from "I think Brian listened to the songs" (Larry in 2009) to "Eno has recently been working on Songs of ascent".

you bet. it definitely means that they're working hard. realistically, they have until about the end of February to finish the album if they want it out by the beginning of the tour.

More good news. :up:

(I would have liked to see this place during the wait for NLOTH. I already think it's pretty desperate now and NLOTH dates from March)

it was pretty bad in September '08 when everyone was expecting the album in a couple months, and we weren't getting any news. finally, Bono announced that the album wouldn't be out till 2009.

More good news. :up:

(I would have liked to see this place during the wait for NLOTH. I already think it's pretty desperate now and NLOTH dates from March)

Those were some long days. I remember being so upset Sept/Oct 2008 with the delay announcement. And reading all the reviews and waiting for it to leak. :doh:

Good news though. Something is coming in March-May. And just looking at album releases nothing is really slated for April.

Good old Brian. At least it means the boys can't mess up too badly :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom