sometimes i use another name in public

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
like when i go to starbucks, i end up giving the person behind the counter daisy's name for my order because i hate when my real name is butchered. but now, these people know me from before and call me by another name. im a dork:duh:

Ah, yes, I always do this too. My restaurant name is "Liz", which really is my name, in English. I don't care if people call me Liz, Lies (leeeees) with a hard or soft 's', or Liesje (leesheh), but I don't even respond to Lisa or lies. Oh and if they ask for my full name, I give a blank stare.

I've had at least two names my entire life. I've been thinking of adding more.

Mine always gets butchered; I'm used to it though and as a teacher, I'm all too aware how easy it is to butcher unfamiliar names which look like they'd be easy enough to pronounce but turn out not to follow the expected phonetic conventions.

My dad does this at restaurants because our last name seems to be quite difficult for some to pronounce.

when i'm on the phone with someone at work, you should hear the crazy names people come up with. :|

someone i work with is named abby, someone called her arby yesterday. wtf.

When we would go to IHOP, Ron would put our names down as Tommy and Pamela. :rolleyes:
And when were called over the intercom, we would get the funniest stares.

Other times he would tell them Adam. :adam:

If I got parted from who ever I was with in a very large store, I would have them page 'Paul Hewson'.

:reject:

Mr. BAW said:
I had a friend a long time ago...whenever we'd go out, he'd put in the name of Beach just to hear the hostess call out, "Beach Party! Beach party of 10!" :shrug:

:lmao:

I hear you. My first name is Leif, pronounced like "life", but English speakers always call me like "leave".
I tell them, "It's Life" and next time again Leave. :(

My surname is Hinrichsen, and I have to do something about it as it simply is very hard to pronounce for non-Germans.

And here in Berlin no one is called Leif, so I always have to show my passport or repeat my name three times.

Yeah, same here. My name is Daria and I've got a thick Russian accent on top of it; whenever I order coffee, juice and suchlike I always say that my name is Maria. Just to avoid the inevitable "Dahlia? Zaria? Davia?"

Im really suprised sometimes at the variations people get from reading my name. :| Its Ellena, so really, you'd think it'd be easy as its Ellen, with an A on the end. Ell-en-a. Simple.

Ive heard it pronounced Ell-eeen-a, Ell-ah-na, Ell-en-or (which pisses me of no end). they either pronounce it right and spell it wrong or vice-versa. :|

My boyfriend's last name is not common and can be easily butchered, so if we have to give a last name, we always go with mine, which is nice and simple.

However...there are still some occasions where it gets screwed up. :lol:

Saracene said:
Yeah, same here. My name is Daria and I've got a thick Russian accent on top of it; whenever I order coffee, juice and suchlike I always say that my name is Maria. Just to avoid the inevitable "Dahlia? Zaria? Davia?"

I know a Russian lady named Daria!

And I go with Mary for take-out ordering purposes. At restaurants, I always give the name of someone else's at my party.

The people at my Thai place know me as Mary! :p

My real name is rarely pronounced correctly by anyone saying it the first time, here in the US. I go by my nickname when I order food and stuff, lol. Its only after I spell it out and give tips on how to pronounce it, people can say it right. :lol:

At one of my old jobs, my co-workers and I would go to Fuddrucker's and purposely use names of Dragonball Z characters because they called them on the loudspeaker in the restaurant. I would tell them I was Chi-Chi, Piccolo, Mr. Popo, King Kai, etc. We were geeks.

People somehow find 'Levi' very hard to pronounce. I inevitably get called "leivah'.
I'm like, no, it's Lee- /vi_' 'Levah?' No. Lee-/vi/, like the jeans, you idgit. Must be because I have breasts that they must make the name feminine..to make me feel better.

I either give my last name or I make someone else do it. Like Devlin, I either get a blank stare or when it comes time to call my name, I hear "Sharon, Shirley, Charlotte, Shireen, Cheryl...the best part is looking down at the reservation book and seeing how they attempt to spell it :wink:

Last month, my dentist called me Shondra through my entire appointment. I wanted to see how long he would keep it up so I didn't say anything. I guess he got pissed at me for not telling him because the next time I came in, the other dentist in the office saw me instead. But seriously, my name is on the CHART. How hard is it?? :angry:

Is anyone else disturbed by the practice at Old Navy of writing your name on the dressing room door? I just say "Mom" when they ask me what my name is.

At bars, I always use a different name, whatever pops into my head, when people talk to me.

Back
Top Bottom