SOE FAN + industry reviews only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has already been posted:

https://www.hotpress.com/U2/news/iSongs-Of-Experiencei-is-out-now-Read-the-review-here/21432302.html

"Inspired by a brush with the grim reaper, the new U2 album is an extraordinary work of art"

It combined an earlier, track-by-track review with a glowing album review (Called it U2's best ever). I wish I had the original article but it's still pretty much all there now...mixed in w/track by track review.

Of the many articles from Hot press, the cover of the 2018 annual has U2 featured along with multiple stories, interviews, and articles.

https://www.hotpress.com/U2/news/U2-Grace-The-Cover-of-The-Hot-Press-Annual-2018/21313780.html

It's a longer and deeper dive than most other SOE reviews. The final paragraph is the same:

U2 are now at a stage in their career where they’re judged – and often misjudged – on a whole lot more than just the quality of their work. It’s easy to lazily dismiss them, and there’s probably just enough seeming bombast here (‘The Blackout’, ‘The Showman’) to give the haters the ammunition they crave. But if you can listen without prejudice, you’ll find that it’s as artful and well-crafted a collection of songs as Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry have ever produced. Which after 40 years experience in the business of making music is exactly as it should be.

Last edited:
I always found professional reviews for music to be stupid. Any art is hard to criticize, but I feel more people can agree what makes a great movie. But music is so personal... it's almost impossible to review.

I read positive reviews. i read negative reviews. And all i see is the writer struggling to make their word count.

Ok, so I've been a lurker here for a while but have never posted. :wave: I felt compelled to comment based on a few of the songs off the new album. While I've always been a fan of everything they've put out - some albums more than others - SOE for some reason has just been sticking with me for the past few days more than any of their other recent albums (2000ish on). I heard the leaked version and woke up with some of the songs in my head (namely Summer of Love and Red Flag Day), which hasn't happened to me in a while with their albums. I probably shouldn't pay attention to them, but some of the negative reviews that have been out there and posted here.. I don't think are really capturing the thought and backstories into the lyrics for this album, as others have pointed out. Honestly, Little Things, which I saw them do live over the summer at MetLife, is the one that's been moving me the most. My dad was diagnosed with cancer almost a year ago and just those lyrics... "the end is near".. really, really get to me. That buildup towards the end of the song is just amazing and very moving to me.

Agree with many others that Red Flag Day is a standout song as well. I hope they play it on SNL tonight, but I feel like American Soul might be one of the songs. They posted a video of them rehearsing the song on their Instagram account a few days ago. It's not awful, but IMO, there's just so many better songs on the album for them to display tonight.

Another thing that I've been thinking about, and not sure if I've seen it mentioned so maybe it's just me?! But the first few seconds of Blackout kind of remind me of the first few seconds of Zoo Station just a bit?

Esperago's Personal Review: U2 - Songs of Experience

My ranking system is based on a scale of U2 songs, not all songs in general.

Here we go...

Love is All We Have Left

This song is great. Not that melodic but it overall emotes a great sense of futurism and space. It’s something that would not have been out of place on Zooropa, Passengers or the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack. It also feels like an unofficial, futuristic follow-up to One Step Closer to Knowing. I love it - might be my favourite tune on the album, despite it having such a short run time. (9 out of 10)

Lights of Home

Groovy and reminds me of a sonic cousin of Cedarwood Road (with ragged acoustic guitar). However, I can’t give The Edge too much credit here as the riff is directly lifted from an old Haim song. It’s definitely a groovy tune and I really enjoy the instrumentation of the song but in reality, the song doesn’t reach out an pull me in. As well, usually, U2 chanting/choral is stuff I normally find quite enjoyable but the end of Lights of Home gets a little church-y feeling with the “free yourself to be yourself” bit. It was an average lyric in the song ‘Iris’ and remains as such, for me, on this tune. (5.5 out of 10)

You’re the Best Thing

A fun throwaway-ish, radio friendly song in the tradition of Sweetest Thing (although a lot more groovy). I was average on it for about the first 10 listens but now have developed a greater appreciation for it. It’s catchy in that Beautiful Day sort of way (but nowhere near as epic, of course). I can’t help but sing when I hear it (nor can my kids). And it sticks in my head throughout the day - a sign of a good melody, I believe. So it’s gone from average to above average. (7 out of 10)

Get Out of Your Own Way

I like this song a lot. It comes in smooth, hits where it needs to and then slides away as nicely as it came. I think the melody and lyrics match up exactly, which doesn’t always happen. It’s like both elements of the song were forged from the same base ingredient. I also like the message of “I can help you but it’s your fight”. There’s a whole slew of U2 songs that I think are great but don’t rise to epic-level. This is one of those songs for me - a lot like Gone off of Pop. I love that song but it never claws its way into my soul like songs like One, UTEOTW, Streets, WOWY, etc. Nice tune though, kind of like it was plucked from the same reality-thread as When I Look at the World, Crumbs From Your Table and the album version of Crazy Tonight. (7.5 out of 10)

***KENDRICK LAMAR RANT… decent rant which resonates but I’m already tired of hearing it, nevermind down the road, months and years from now.

American Soul

Gosh, this one is a tough one for me. The lyrics are 50% good and 50% lame. The instrumentation and melody are 50% great and 50% yucky. Shouting “You are rock and roll” feels really old man-ish to me. Not young and hip. and the “Refu-Jesus” stuff… and also the Trump hating… not my bag of tea, especially coming from an Irish multi-millionaire. (Note: I’m not pro-Trump. I’m anti-Hillary and anti-Trump but most of all I am anti-the devolution of America. I hope for unity on both sides instead of sensationalism and division and so Bono’s lukewarm statements on the current situation are lame to me. He should have gone all in or not at all. At least have the conviction to make a statement, regardless if people like me disagree with him doing so… it would have made for a stronger, less awkward song). Now, having said all of this, I absolutely love how American Soul begins melodically. The kick drum and bass line are thick, heavy and driving and don’t have any sort of corny riff that The Edge sometimes throws-in (like he does on the second half of the song, during the you and I are rock and roll parts). Basically, half of this song is sooo good to my ears, that I excuse the other awful half and wind up with something that equates to slightly above average rather than lousy. (6 out of 10)

Summer of Love

I both appreciate and have a distaste for the struggles in Aleppo being snuck into a song that, on the surface, sounds like a song about girl and a summer fling. I think it’s great that a song can tackle a serious topic without having to be overly sombre or obvious. But it feels weird to forget about this and just sort of croon the song like it isn’t about a situation of suffering and despair. Lyrically, I dig the song. It reminds me of sibling to Cedars of Lebanon. I think Bono has a deep talent for capturing the atmosphere of a place and time and I wish he’d do it more. He nails it on Cedars of Lebanon, White as Snow, Miami, Miss Sarajevo, Winter, California, etc. The instrument melody and instruments are fine enough on this tune - sort of wiggly and sneaky-smooth… but the song never really seems to crescendo, which might be on purpose but I feel like there could have been a bit more creativity in the bridge section. In fact, this is a bit of a complaint of mine about U2 songs in general. Many times, the songs are missing hooks or catchy crescendos and bridges (like Discotheque or Blackout or this song). It’s fine enough but would definitely elevate the song a little higher. (6.0 out of 10)

Red Flag Day

Hmmm… I feel like I’m not allowed to dislike this song because it’s about refugees taking flight at sea. How dare I! lol. The thing is, it sounds a bit like “ska” or something. A little like the band Bedouin Soundclash but with Maroon 5-style vocals and little tiny pinch of No Doubt and a twist of 1980s echo when the Edge provides backing vocals. Despite my dislike of these aspects, I have to give U2 props for creating a unique song about an important topic. As well, I have respect for them creating a new type of sonic landscape for themselves within this song, while at the same time reaching down into their early 80s roots (and being a little rough and raw). But still, not really my cup of tea. (4 out of 10)

The Showman (A Little More Better)

This is a tough one to review and rate. It’s fun and zingy and I always appreciate the Edge and Bono doing the bro-mance thing. But it’s a weird song. It kind of reminds me a little of Buddy Holly, or perhaps Roy Orbison, with a little early Beatles thrown in. All of which are fine but not what I look for in my U2… as in, I don’t think I’d ever be in the mood to listen to U2 and this type of music at the same time. Again, as in Red Flag Day, I support them for trying out some new sonic ideas and for Bono to be so cheeky and open with his lyrics (describing his own ego). Still though, this song sort of associates itself with the territory of Wild Honey, A Man and a Woman and the unreleased/rare Flower Child. Fine little ditties but songs I never really return to unless I’m doing a complete song-by-song play-through of the album. (4 out of 10)

The Little Things That Give You Away

I’m big on this song. The lyrics, the creeping, building melody and a bridge that soars, rather than just acts like filler. The lyrics resonate with my personal experiences in life, even if not directly. I absolutely love the “sometimes the end isn’t coming, sometimes the end is here” line. It’s a thought that I have never really considered and from my perspective, quite a heavy thought at that. For so many people, every day, they must have this realization as they say goodbye to a dying loved one. Bono’s lyrics on the bridge are equally as resonant: “Sometimes I can’t believe my existence, I see myself from a distance… can’t get back inside…” and so on. Speaks to my spiritual journey over the past years and to my journey with my wife throughout the past few decades. It’s also great that this song builds to a big, huge ending. I’m looking forward to hearing this one in concert. Love this song. (9 out of 10)

Landlady

Damn Bono. Damn him! It’s such a lovely song but goddamn, it’s loveliness just won’t sink into the depths of my being. All because of the use of the term “landlady”. Now, yes, I’ve read the interview where the Edge discusses why they ultimately decided using that term was “okay” but I still can’t get past it. All I picture when I hear Bono singing it is some old cat-lady, grey-haired, 70 year old land lady in a cardigan, stopping by to complain and collect the rent. Now that’s an image I don’t want to conjure when I listen to any music, nevermind a U2 song. Props to Bono for just owning it though, and writing such a sweet song to his wife (and allowing us to be privy to these thoughts). I also am happy with the bridge and his soft-rap-style lyrics during it. It makes the song stronger. My actual thoughts on this song include a fantasy where U2 makes this their next single and just OWNS the landlady aspect. They make a video featuring Bono and a 70 year old landlady having a romance in various locations within a Brooklyn brownstone apartment building. Gazing lovingly into each other’s eyes on the roof, slow dancing next to leaky pipes in the basement, waking up next to each other on a cold winter morn… just a love affair between a geriatric and a rockstar. (6.5 out of 10)

The Blackout

I appreciate and enjoy this rock song more every time I hear it. Maybe some of the finest overall work of Larry and Adam - especially Adam. Killer bass riffs and kick drum, and I really verbal cadence of Bono’s verses. The choruses and bridge fall a little flat. I wish the song would boil-over into a frenzy like the live version of Bullet The Blue Sky - it feels like it should. But it doesn’t so all in all, it doesn’t move from a good U2 song into a ‘great’ or ‘epic’ U2 song. Maybe the live version will develop and grow, in the same way Bullet has. (7 out of 10)

Love is Bigger than Anything in its Way

All the positive reviews are saying that this is the anthem to beat, but I’m not on the same page as most of these reviews. It’s a nice song, to be sure - and a sweet sentiment to express to his kids. However, it seems to be a paint-by-the-numbers tune. It sounds like a number of other bands could have written the song, which is a strange thing to consider when describing U2, as U2 always sounds so recognizable and U2-y. Even the double singing that happens during the first half of the bridge doesn’t even sound like Bono and the gang. If I just heard that part of the song, with no context, I’d do a double take to really tell if it was Bono. I’m being pretty harsh here, on a song that is overall pretty non-offensive… and uplifting and positive. But it just sort of comes across as a U2 ballad without heart and soul. Maybe the first time they’ve created such a song…? (6.0 out of 10)

13 (There is a Light)

First off, I enjoy the tie-ins to Songs of Innocence that are peppered throughout Songs of Experience. I originally dislike the Volcano tie-in but have come around and with ’13’, my opinion is the same. I enjoy it. So this song, well, it’s a nice reflective tune and a decent way to close the album. It doesn’t quite live up to how much I like Grace, Yaweh, Cedars and The Troubles as a closer but it’s nice, meditative and fits nicely into the sonic timeline of a few earlier U2 songs. What I mean, is that it reminds me of successor to ‘The First Time’ or maybe some of the works off of the Million Dollar Hotel OST, such as ‘Never Let Me Go’ and/or ‘Stateless.’ I dig the atmosphere and ambiance of this song. (7 out of 10)

Book of Your Heart

I can see why U2 left this off of the album proper. Not that it’s a bad song, but it’s just a little too different in theme to be cohesive with the rest of the album. Actually, this song reminds me of a soundtrack song - not quite from something like a James Bond film but from a similar yet dark movie, with some yearning and pain taking place. Maybe it’s the song that rolls over the end credits. There’s some sort of relationship to Fez-Being Born going on in this song, although I can’t quite put my finger on it. Perhaps, even, it is a spillover from Songs of Ascent. There’s a lot of deep lyrics and chanting going on. For me, it’s a highlight of the deluxe version of Songs of Experience. That being said, I’m not the kind of person that plays a lot of darker, brooding-type music. I usually play music to be uplifted or to sing along. So I imagine this will be one of the gems of U2’s deep catalogue that I go back to and and thoroughly enjoy from time to time. Still quite good, though. (8 out of 10)

Lights of Home (St. Peter’s String Version)

I don’t think this version is as good as the album version. The album version just owns what it’s setting out to do and trying to be. This version seems more watered down and more like it was adapted to appear in on a film soundtrack. Interestingly, my theory -my totally unfounded theory- is that this was the ‘backup’ version of the Lights of Home, in the off-chance that Haim wouldn’t grant the rights to sample their song and/or appear doing backup vocals. True or not, this version just isn’t as good as the album version, yet I’m glad they included it, just as they included a few versions of The Troubles on SOI. (4.5 out of 10)

*Average Score for Songs of Experience, as calculated: 6.5 out of 10

*My personal, non-calculated opinion score is: 7 out of 10

They often do two from bigger acts releases, two sides, Petridish and Kitty Empire Strikes back.

Best ignore the comments, the ones after the first one were.... not nice.

So is this second Guardian review also gonna count for Metascore (like they ll take the average of the two) or what?

So, lots of people here reference Pitchfork... I'm not too familiar with the site etc.; have they reviewed SOE? If not, do they normally wait... I saw the INXS Kick re-issue but not SOE.

So, lots of people here reference Pitchfork... I'm not too familiar with the site etc.; have they reviewed SOE? If not, do they normally wait... I saw the INXS Kick re-issue but not SOE.

They haven't but they had an article up the other day that was titled something like "new music out today that you must hear" and U2 was one of the artists called out.

they haven't done it but im sure they'll rate it lower. like, come on, the site shows clear bias, like hating RHCP, Green Day etc but likes lots of like, folky bands like Fleet Foxes.

Last edited:
I would say the record has been a great success with the critics. Unanimous no but I'd say 80/20 positive

At least the title was funny

It's hard to take a review seriously that starts with 3 paragraphs about how much the author dislikes the band and shouldn't be reviewing the album due to his bias.

To be fair, he says later on that he's been a U2 fan since Boy, and even appears to like NLOTH more than SOI/SOE.

But I don't quite understand how he can complain about SOE out of one side of his mouth while being relatively complimentary of NLOTH out of the other side, apparently willing to give UC/Crazy Tonight/Boots/SUC/Breathe a pass for their overcookedness.

These people seem to be missing all the call-backs to Songs of Innocence. Zero mention of American Soul's chorus being reused from Volcano. Odd.

And they completely miss the boat on Summer of Love. The main guy, who uses the "word" irregardless, tells them essentially not to pay attention to Internet chatter. :lol:

The mention of the line "I'm not a ghost now" reminded me that Little Thing is probably about Bono's "brush with mortality".

No mention of what they think Red Flag Day is about...

Last edited:
So is this second Guardian review also gonna count for Metascore (like they ll take the average of the two) or what?

It's actually for The Observer, the Guardian's sister/Sunday newspaper but published on the guardian website for ease.

Not a surprise from Kitty Empire. Snide, piss poor reviewer who took one star off Father John Misty's live gig because he trolled Taylor Swift in the media at the start of November. I kid you not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom