So I just did a really hard thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamswildhoney

ONE love, blood, life
I finally dropped my SINGING CLASS! It was sooo hard bc I finally admitted to myself that maybe I really dont want to the band thing and that I just wanna do it so that I would be famous or whatever. I hope I made the right decision bc right now it doesnt really feel like it.

:confused:<~~that is how i feel right now!!

Looks like you and I both had hard decisions today.

:hug:

Usually, the right decisions are the hardest to make...if you followed your heart, I'm sure you did the right thing.

:yes: What BC said.

Look at it this way -- leaving that class frees you up to pursue other passions and explore other avenues-- who knows where greatness is waiting for you! :)

Its really weird for me bc I was convinced that I wanted to do something involving music and now all of sudden to realised that isnt true just knocked me to the ground.

Then again maybe I still will do something involving music, its just being enrolled in a Singing Class isnt part of it.

I went from grade 6 to grade 12 throwing myself in every kind of band, choir, guitar class offered. I took them ALL.

Then, about the middle of grade 12, I was like "I don't want to be a music teacher anymore. I can't sit in a school for hours on end for the rest of my life." I didn't quit, I did finish up, but it was, well, almost a waste. I enjoyed the courses, but here I am, upgrading the high school courses so that I can get into the career that I want.

Good for you for making the choice. Don't stop singing for fun though :)

Amigone said:
I went from grade 6 to grade 12 throwing myself in every kind of band, choir, guitar class offered. I took them ALL.

Then, about the middle of grade 12, I was like "I don't want to be a music teacher anymore. I can't sit in a school for hours on end for the rest of my life." I didn't quit, I did finish up, but it was, well, almost a waste. I enjoyed the courses, but here I am, upgrading the high school courses so that I can get into the career that I want.

Good for you for making the choice. Don't stop singing for fun though :)

I attended New England Conservatory of Music from the time I was in the 9th Grade. I went to their prep-school on Friday nights and Saturdays.

I participated in every freaking band I could. In the eigth grade(?) I joined the union and played in the Budweiser Band.

I was accepted to many music schools and my sophmore year in college, the Principal Clarinetist for the Boston Pops wanted to take me on as his student.

I quit.....Sophmore year in college. I am just getting back into it for fun. Don't give it up all together. I am looking to buy a saxaphone now because that was always what I played for fun.

I agree with Amigone, do not give it up all together.

Peace

Last edited:
taking lessons always seem to ruin the fun of playing an instrument...i took piano lessons and hated it. so i stopped playing the piano. i was in school band for a couple years, i played the trumpet, i hated the teacher, so i quit. i miss the trumpet, but i started playing the piano last summer. i'm never going to take lessons again, and 'm not going to bother to devote any section of my brain to re-learining how to read music. but i really like figuring out piano parts of songs i'm listening to.
i like singing, i suck at it more than anyone i know (exceot for my brother), i figured that if i was in choir in high school i'd maybe get a bit better at it, but i hated that. and it's the reason i'll never take guitar lessons. i love playing the guitar too much to have to hate i fr a few years.

sorry i rambled on about that for that long...i know no one really cares about that stuff, as amigone said, don't stop singing for fun...cos it is really fun. even when you don't know the words :wink:

No way would I give it up! I bought my trombone in 8th grade, and I still play it at home.

I'm actually trying to get a group of us who graduated last year to get together and play at eau claire, a place that lets musicians play, kind of a mixture of a shopping mall and a flea market. THeir only rule is unplugged :)

oh dont worry I definately wont give up singing for fun and I am not certain that I am going to give up my dream of being in a band and making music for living

that's good that you're not going to give up singing, it seems like you really enjoy it.

Sometimes there just comes a time with the lessons when you feel like you're not learning any more or you just get tired of it. I took piano lessons starting from about when I was in third grade, till I was in high school. I just decided I didn't want to do it any more cuz I didn't feel I was getting much better. I still like to play the piano every now and then, but I don't have a full size keyboard in my apartment so it's even hard to do that, so I've gotten a bit rusty at it lol.

And like martha said, you can always continue taking classes after you take a break if you want to, or try something new.

Back
Top Bottom