Sigur Ros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pitchfork: News

If you listened to the Dark Was the Night compilation and thought, "Hey, this song 'Happiness' by Riceboy Sleeps sounds a lot like Sigur Rós!" it's because the ethereal track was made by Sigur Rós singer Jón Þór Birgisson (aka Jónsi) and partner Alex Somers. The duo have exhibited artwork under the Riceboy Sleeps moniker for a few years, and now they're ready to drop an instrumental debut album as Jón Þór Birgisson & Alex Somers on July 20 in Europe via Parlophone. The album is called Riceboy Sleeps. To be clear: Jónsi is the singer in Sigur Rós, but the debut album from his new side project features no singing.

The 68-minute LP does feature nine tracks "played solely on acoustic instruments in Iceland (and featuring long-time string collaborators Amiina, as well as the Kopavogsdaetur choir) and then endlessly toyed with on solar-powered laptops in a raw food commune in some far corner of Hawaii," according to a press release. This might be the greenest album ever made; Al Gore would be proud.

Head over to the pair's website to check out videos for album tracks "All the Big Trees" and "Daníell in the Sea". Riceboy Sleeps tracklist is below:

Riceboy Sleeps:

01 Happiness
02 Atlas Song
03 Indian Summer
04 Stokkseyri
05 Boy 1904
06 All the Big Trees
07 Daníell in the Sea
08 Howl
09 Sleeping Giant

Cool. :up:

Well, I've been listening to his gay, half-blind elf bullshit for years. No reason to stop now. Bring on the Riceboy.

If you listened to the Dark Was the Night compilation and thought, "Hey, this song 'Happiness' by Riceboy Sleeps sounds a lot like Sigur Rós!" it's because the ethereal track was made by Sigur Rós singer Jón Þór Birgisson (aka Jónsi) and partner Alex Somers. The duo have exhibited artwork under the Riceboy Sleeps moniker for a few years, and now they're ready to drop an instrumental debut album as Jón Þór Birgisson & Alex Somers on July 20 in Europe via Parlophone. The album is called Riceboy Sleeps. To be clear: Jónsi is the singer in Sigur Rós, but the debut album from his new side project features no singing.

The 68-minute LP does feature nine tracks "played solely on acoustic instruments in Iceland (and featuring long-time string collaborators Amiina, as well as the Kopavogsdaetur choir) and then endlessly toyed with on solar-powered laptops in a raw food commune in some far corner of Hawaii," according to a press release. This might be the greenest album ever made; Al Gore would be proud.

Head over to the pair's website to check out videos for album tracks "All the Big Trees" and "Daníell in the Sea". Riceboy Sleeps tracklist is below:

Riceboy Sleeps:

01 Happiness
02 Atlas Song
03 Indian Summer
04 Stokkseyri
05 Boy 1904
06 All the Big Trees
07 Daníell in the Sea
08 Howl
09 Sleeping Giant

Cool. :up:

Very cool :up:

'Happiness', the song on Dark Was the Night, is pretty nice. According to the article, they have 2 more songs on the Riceboy Sleeps website.

Who am I kidding though, even if this album gets horrible reviews, I'll still buy it. Sigur Ros has already earned a free ride with me.

That's great that it's on YouTube and all, but the film is so much better on DVD in the dark with a great sound system and a huge TV.

I agree with everyone here.........

Yeah, I'll be buying this. I'd follow Jonsi anywhere.....well, almost anywhere.

The bar I go to Thursday happy hour at every week is very close to Waterloo, so I like to pop in there for a quick swing-through after a few dollar margaritas. I was shocked just now to find the ( ) vinyl reissue out already. The set looks lovely, but for $42.99? Looks like I won't be splurging for that one.

With Record Store Day on Saturday? No way. Gotta get that Being There reissue, It's Blitz!, and the MMJ live EP at the least. That'll be $42.99 in and of itself. I've got ( ) on CD. The upgrade just isn't worth it.

(cock)

It is one of my top twenty all time. Maybe I'll do it...

For a while, Sigur Rós were totally and completely reliable-- they'd release a brain-busting album, spend three years consulting with their mystic muses (or whatever) and then release another brain-busting album that was pretty similar to the previous one. But then came last year's uncharacteristically wily Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust, and now the Icelandic group are doing all sorts of exciting things all at once.

There's lead singer Jónsi's upcoming solo album featuring work from Nico Muhly, along with his ambient record with boyfriend Alex Somers, Riceboy Sleeps. And now we get word of an honest-to-goodness new Sigur Rós LP, currently brewing at the band's studio in Álafoss, Iceland, according to a post on their website. Details are scarce at the moment, but phrases like "slower," "more ambient," and "more out there" are being thrown around. The new LP is due out sometime next year.

:happydance:

:cute:

jonsialex.jpg

^ They look so childish in that picture and so innocent! I think thats how they are able to conjure up a sense of wonder and imagination in their music, because they are all truly kids at heart. Their music is just describing what it is like to be a kid again and to see the world as completely new and unfamiliar.

....That picture just says it all for me. How Jonsi is lost in outer space thinking about probably something and nothing at the same time. Just by looking at them you would not know how complex and deep music they could make as they wear those silly hats. Just further proof that sigur ros's music is meant to be more happy and adventurous than sad. It's peter pan music if you ask me!

god I love that band! :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom