Sigur Ros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the CD. It didn't blow me away or anything, but I liked it.

I checked to see who was opening for him this weekend, and .... Death Vessel? After a bit of research, I am relieved to learn that the name is not indicative of the music.

(It's some folksy dude playing pleasant folksy-sounding music. Thankfully, not folksy in the Sarah Palin way.)

Um, Jonsi has a song (that' snot on the album) on the How To Train Your Dragon Soundtrack.

wtf

Is this where we're talking about Jonsi's album? Man, I absolutely loved it. It's pretty average for the first few tracks, but once "Boy Lilikoi" starts it's all beautiful sailing. For the first time, Pitchfork an I agree on a score:

Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Jónsi: Go

(well, almost, I gave it an 8.5)

It's pretty average for the first few tracks

You probably need to listen to the first few tracks again then, are among my favorite 3 songs on the album. Other than that though, I agree. It's good and is deserving the strong review scores it's receiving.

I am sad to report that I was completely underwhelmed by the live Jonsi experience. I should have known that atmospheric music heard live for me is not my favorite thing. I'd rather listen to it in another setting than see it live.

Not helping: I'd had a mild migraine earlier, which left me feeling much more tired than usual, and I could not see a damned thing. Didn't like this venue at all, although the sound was okay.

I stayed for 45 minutes and did hear one or two songs I did enjoy, and one of the few songs I saw that utilized the visuals was pretty cool, but it just all blurred together - particularly his vocals.

That kind of ethereal singing just starts to sound the same, like each song sounded a little different, but the singing sounded exactly the same - particularly those high notes he'd sing. Maybe it was my tiredness, but by the last song I stayed for (Go Do), it sounded like he was singing the same falsetto pattern, where he'd sing one ethereal high note, and then jump up a minor third to hit that impossibly high note that just floated there, and you weren't sure if you were hearing him singing it, or an instrument playing it.

We get it, dude. You can sing all floaty and high.

Oh well. They can't all be winners. I'll just enjoy the music at home.

I've really been digging Sigur Rós lately. ( ) is awesome. One of my favourite albums at the moment.:love:

I think ( ) is the aural equivalent of watching a race between a glacier moving a mountain and that very same mountain sinking into the ocean. On quaaludes.

Takk and Agaetis Byrjun are really good though. And Go has my seal of approval. I figured it would be a watered-down indietastic version of the stereotypical Sigur Ros sound, but I dig it.

eighteen seconds before sunrise – sigur rós news ? blog archive ? sigur rós win at mojo awards

ast night sigur rós won “the mojo outstanding contribution to music” award at the mojo awards show in london.

phil alexander (mojo’s editor-in-chief): “sigur rós are widely recognised as men of mystery. their enigmatic presence is matched by their music. having a member of radiohead, philip selway, present this award tells you just how much fellow musicians love them. they are like a latter day pink floyd – transporting and epic. and their contribution to music can be heard and felt everywhere.”

the band were in attendance to accept the prize. you can read more about the other award winners on the mojo website.

Well deserved. :up:

Jonsi announced new tour dates earlier this week:

10-15 San Diego, CA - 4th and B
10-17 Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern
10-19 Oakland, CA - Fox Theater
10-21 Las Vegas, NV - House of Blues
10-22 Salt Lake City, UT - The Complex
10-23 Tempe, AZ - The Marquee
10-25 Grand Prairie, TX - Verizon Theatre
10-26 Austin, TX - Austin Music Hall
10-27 Houston, TX - Verizon Music Theater
10-29 New Orleans, LA - Voodoo Festival
10-30 Asheville, NC - Moogfest
10-31 Atlanta, Georgia - The Tabernacle
11-02 St. Louis, MO - The Pageant
11-03 Chicago, IL - Vic Theatre
11-05 Detroit, MI - The Fillmore
11-06 Columbus, OH - Newport Music Hall
11-08 Washington, D.C. - 9:30 Club
11-10 New York, NY - Hammerstein Ballroom

I know where I'll be October 22nd. :up:

Sigur Ros is apparently working on releasing a new concert film as well.

Im from iceland, Sigur rós (english: Victory rose) is without a doubt icelands greatest band. I have seen them live millions of times and i love them.
A good translation for the album "Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust" would be (english: With hum in our ears we play forever".)

If you have any questions about the band you can send me a pm or just ask in this thread.

Btw i love to see icelandic music is catching on in america.

The Jonsi show was great last Friday. It's impossible to explain how fantastic the "films playing in the back of the stage" were, and how much they added to the show. It's crazy that something that's been done hundreds of times before can still be so powerful. The songs sound wonderful live as well. I already liked the album, but the show gave me an even greater appreciation of it. Good stuff, really glad I went.

The Jonsi show was great last Friday. It's impossible to explain how fantastic the "films playing in the back of the stage" were, and how much they added to the show. It's crazy that something that's been done hundreds of times before can still be so powerful. The songs sound wonderful live as well. I already liked the album, but the show gave me an even greater appreciation of it. Good stuff, really glad I went.

:up:
I watched some of the webcast from LA and it looked like a great show. I'm sorry I wasn't able to see him on this tour.

If you enjoyed Jonsi's solo album, I highly recommend Go Live. I received the pre-order mp3 download today, and am absolutely loving it. Great to hear the tracks how they were performed in concert, they really catch how moving they sounded live. Lots of songs not included on the album are on it as well, which is awesome. Really impressed with the quality of the recordings.

I believe you can only get it from his site. Whether you get the physical or digital version, both come with a film of one of his concerts as well.

jónsi � go live

:up:

Danny Boyle used "Festival" in a stunningly powerful way to end his film about Aron Ralston, 127 Hours, incredible film, incredible song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom