Shuttlecock II: This is Where We Can Reach Around

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry wasn't going to do the cover shoot until bono started goading him.

"What are you, a chicken?"

"Goook-koookk-a-choo! Goook-koookk-a-choo!"

HOMOMANIA!

When I see that word on this site, I sing it a la "Pyromania" in Def Leppard's "Rock of Ages."

I liked it when he brought the magician home :love:

Ali's response is maybe funnier than anything I've ever heard Bono say.

Ok, it might not top this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7IrLik42LE

I'd imagine they might apologise for HTDAAB if anyone asked them. I have no proof of that.

They already did. Not sure if it was before or after the big Grammy wins, but I think Bono said something about the sum of the parts being better than the whole, or implying that it was a collection of great songs but not a great album.

And I'd agree in that No Line, for its flaws, did seem to be aspiring to a grander artistic statement with the bulk of its material.

They already did. Not sure if it was before or after the big Grammy wins, but I think Bono said something about the sum of the parts being better than the whole, or implying that it was a collection of great songs but not a great album.

It's true that he did say that, but that's almost like backhanded praise. Because I know what he was getting at but the parts themselves were mostly horrific and whether they realise that, only setlists can show.

I love how NLOTH is now this 'fun little diversion' and 'we weren't as good as we thought we were', because I think they were indeed trying for something better than what eventuated. In fact, some of NLOTH is an implied apology for HTDAAB.

I'm already getting the vibe that NLOTH is the new Pop for the band, the album they slag in interviews and under-play live.

In this case, though, I don't really care.

I'm already getting the vibe that NLOTH is the new Pop for the band, the album they slag in interviews and under-play live.

In this case, though, I don't really care.

Agreed. Although I do like NLOTH, there aren't any tracks from that album that I felt translated really well live.

The owls are not what they seem.

Larry wasn't going to do the cover shoot until bono started goading him.

"What are you, a chicken?"

"Goook-koookk-a-choo! Goook-koookk-a-choo!"

tumblr_mlm1jwqU8Y1s89kbpo1_500.gif

tumblr_mlm1jwqU8Y1s89kbpo2_500.gif

tumblr_mlm1jwqU8Y1s89kbpo3_500.gif

The whole narrative about NLOTH continues to show their lack of self-awareness. In their comments about what was wrong with NLOTH they seem to blame some of the best tracks like Fez and Cedars of Lebanon as opposed to the ones that sunk it like Boots and Stand Up Comedy.

And I agree that the tracks never translated live, aside from probably the title track. Breathe should have translated live but didn't really work in the opening slot. Boots might have been "fun" live, but it's hard not to be fun with a song that's that fast. At its best, that song was a forgettable, fun diversion and nothing more. And Moment of Surrender I never thought worked very well live, though I'm not as high on that song in general as other people are.

The whole narrative about NLOTH continues to show their lack of self-awareness. In their comments about what was wrong with NLOTH they seem to blame some of the best tracks like Fez and Cedars of Lebanon as opposed to the ones that sunk it like Boots and Stand Up Comedy.

And I agree that the tracks never translated live, aside from probably the title track. Breathe should have translated live but didn't really work in the opening slot. Boots might have been "fun" live, but it's hard not to be fun with a song that's that fast. At its best, that song was a forgettable, fun diversion and nothing more. And Moment of Surrender I never thought worked very well live, though I'm not as high on that song in general as other people are.

They're out of their minds really. Quite aside from my own (quite high) opinion of it, there's a decent chance Moment of Surrender could have given them a real bona fide hit. If, and only if, Get On Your Motherfucking Boots had never been allowed anywhere near daylight.

Well put.

If they cannot comprehend that Boots was responsible for NLOTH's awful reception, then they are delusional. It did NLOTH more damage than Discotheque ever did Pop.

Speaking of lack of awareness, what's with that Joey Ramone song being the 'single'? I mean it is the single, right? It's basically the worst thing they've ever recorded.

I can just imagine the conversations in the studio.

"Let's release our worst song as the single."

"I dunno about that, and how would we tell anyway. We've got the musical equivalent of colour blindness (in a racial sense)."

"Are you chicken? Kaaak-Kee-Kaaa, Kaak-Kee-Kaaa!"

They're out of their minds really. Quite aside from my own (quite high) opinion of it, there's a decent chance Moment of Surrender could have given them a real bona fide hit. If, and only if, Get On Your Motherfucking Boots had never been allowed anywhere near daylight.

Moment of Surrender would have been a bold choice for an opening single - I still reckon that Magnificent should have been that first single. I'd imagine it would have had Vertigo-success which would have been a better result than Sexy Boots

I see Sexy Boots as the band's concerted attempt to be "relevant" (whatever their definition of that is), a Vertigo Part II with adjustments made for 2009. It didn't really succeed and probably had more of an adverse effect on general opinion of U2. It perhaps came across as quite daggy.

I actually quite enjoy Boots as a song and adore it live, but am frustrated no end by it being part of the notoriously awkward middle-3 on NLOTH.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

It was probably that whole thing with the eyeshadow and them doing it at (the Grammys or something) that did more damage than anything else could have.

Oh god the eyeliner thing. Bono's done a lot of stupid things in his career but that has to be a candidate for stupidest.

Naming a song "The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)" can't be far behind though.

These songs are so tough you can kick them to the kerb and pour petrol on them and set them alight and they'll still get up, shambling after you, wanting to touch you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom