Should homosexual couples be able to adopt kids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not George Lucas said:
I wouldn't have everyone be gay. There'd be some heteros, but they'd be the minority.

IMHO, that's where God went wrong.

I just figured it out.

If Jews are "The Chosen People" and they are a persecuted minority.

Then, gays, the persecuted minority, are the "chosen orientation"

Not George Lucas said:
I wouldn't have everyone be gay. There'd be some heteros, but they'd be the minority.

Well then, there wouldn't be much adjustment for me. The majority of my friends are gay & lesbian. I'm the token hetero gal. :wink:

Just a quick response to melon :)

Where you quoted me, I'm not sure if I made my point clearly and do want to clarify what I said. Where I stated not ALL homosexual couples will be suitable parents, doesn't mean that I dont agree with them adopting ever, because I do think there is absolutely no legitimate reason why they shouldn't based on their sexuality. I dont think 'ALL' couples regardless of gender and sexuality would make suitable parents, but that is a given. I hope the wrong impression wasn't given from my reply. I dont like any form of discrimination and in cases where couples are refused adoption based on sexuality alone, that in my view, is discriminatory. The decisions should always be based on the couple's expected suitablilty to raise a healthy happy child.

I dont think this was any clearer lol, but I hope no offence was taken.

:)

Not George Lucas said:
[ignorant white trash]

Them homo-sexuals is filthy disgusting perverts, all tryin to take over the world! Any homo-sexual couple tryin to adopt a kid is tryin to corrupt his young mind! They's all goin ta hell!

[/ignorant white trash]

In reality homosexuality is not a learned behavior. There has never been any study establishing that as fact. Most studies, however, show that homosexuality is like left-handedness. It's not the norm, but it happens. It's not a bad thing.

Studies also have shown that children raised by homosexual parents tend to be more loved and more well-rounded than adopted by married couples.

Furthermore, heterosexual white males make up the vast majority of child molestors, not homosexuals, as some may have us believe.

It is my belief that it is better for a child to be raised by a gay couple than to be bounced around in a foster home or aborted. If you ask me, I think the world would be a much better place if homosexuality was the norm.

Why am I noticing a trend here?
Why is it that "heterosexual parents" that adopt a child are being portrayed badly?

What I'm saying is that the people that are approving of homosexual parenting are making out like heterosexual parents will be "no good" or wont love them as much as a homosexual parent.

This is absolute bullshit, you could be just as likely to have ratbag homosexual parents than heterosexual ones!

And this leads me back to my point again that a child will receive more love from it's bilogical parents than from a homosexual couple. There is no substitute for the natural mother and fathers love for their naturally born child. Argue all you want, this is my opinion, and I stand by it.

But then before you flame me again, please realise that I am NOT saying that a child that is adopted - regardless of who the parents are - WONT be loved, I'm just saying that there is no substitute for the love of the original parents. However some natural parents are ratbags and do abandon their children, treat them like shit and leave them for adoption by others. But in the case where you have natural parents that love their children opposed to adopted parents that also love them, I believe that the natural parents can offer "something" that the adopted ones cannot. And because of this, this is why I believe that homosexual couples that offer love versus natural parent couples that offer love, the natural parents will be able to raise the child better and offer more love, than the homosexual ones.

Anyway that's my opinion and everyone is different with their opinions, but this vibe I'm getting that all homosexual parents are wonderful loving people in order to make heterosexual ones look bad I don't like at all. But I'm sure many of you didn't intend to give off this vibe in your opinions. And again I state that I do NOT hate homosexuals and I do NOT prejudice them, but I disagree with their lifestyle and the things this lifestyle does and can involve.

If a child is adopted by either heterosexual or homosexual parents, the chances of the parents being ratbags are just as equal for both the sexualities in my opinion. :yes:

pr0digy said:

And this leads me back to my point again that a child will receive more love from it's bilogical parents than from a homosexual couple. There is no substitute for the natural mother and fathers love for their naturally born child. Argue all you want, this is my opinion, and I stand by it.

I think you're going to take a lot of heat for this if there's anyone on the forum who was adopted, or anyone who has adopted a child--and I hope you do. Many people--I would venture to say most people, even--who choose to adopt a child do so at great financial and emotional cost. Sometimes people have to go around the world to adopt a child because adoptions are so difficult in the States. Don't tell me, or them, that there is "no substitute" for the love of so-called "natural parents."

Love is love--it need not be accompanied by the "appropriate" biology. It's completely unfair, close-minded, and simply WRONG to state that something is missing from the relationship between a child and his or her adoptive parents, assuming of course that they are good and loving parents. That's ridiculous. You have every right to stand by your opinion, but even as a liberal--hey FYM conservatives, check this out--I believe it is grossly wrong and narrow-minded.

(see, we silly liberals CAN make a a strong condemnation against moral stances we find to be wrong... ;))

paxetaurora said:

I think you're going to take a lot of heat for this if there's anyone on the forum who was adopted, or anyone who has adopted a child--and I hope you do. Many people--I would venture to say most people, even--who choose to adopt a child do so at great financial and emotional cost. Sometimes people have to go around the world to adopt a child because adoptions are so difficult in the States. Don't tell me, or them, that there is "no substitute" for the love of so-called "natural parents."

Love is love--it need not be accompanied by the "appropriate" biology. It's completely unfair, close-minded, and simply WRONG to state that something is missing from the relationship between a child and his or her adoptive parents, assuming of course that they are good and loving parents. That's ridiculous. You have every right to stand by your opinion, but even as a liberal--hey FYM conservatives, check this out--I believe it is grossly wrong and narrow-minded.

(see, we silly liberals CAN make a a strong condemnation against moral stances we find to be wrong... ;))

yeah point taken, I'm sorry if I offended or pissed anyone off with my opinion, I'll shutup now and keep it to myself :yes:

peace.

pr0digy said:

I'm just saying that there is no substitute for the love of the original parents. ... But in the case where you have natural parents that love their children opposed to adopted parents that also love them, I believe that the natural parents can offer "something" that the adopted ones cannot.

DUH!!!!!

What everyone jumped on your ass for was your comments like "disgusting" and "immoral." No duh natural parents are the preference, but most adopted kids don't have that luxury any more. :rolleyes: Nice backpedal.

Not to mention, pr0digy, nobody here is saying that only heterosexual parents who have kids will be horrible parents. Sorry if that's how some of us were coming off-that's not what we were getting at.

All we're saying about heterosexual parents is that homophobic people will sit there and say that kids are better off not having parents of the same sex, that same-sex couples cannot raise kids appropriately, and we're saying that's not true-the divorce rate is so high nowadays among heterosexuals, and we've seen some heterosexual parents that we wouldn't trust with our kids for even 5 minutes, let alone the rest of their lives. And we know that there can be homosexual parents that are like that as well-there's bad parents on both sides.

We also know that there are both heterosexual and homosexual parents out there who do an absolutely superb job raising their children. I come from a heterosexual parent household, and I think my parents have done a great job in raising my sister and me. And I have friends whose parents do a fabulous job raising them as well.

All people have been saying is that it doesn't matter what the sexual preference of the parents is, a person's sexual preference is not what determines whether or not they are fit to be a parent for a kid.

And all that is what you were trying to say in your last post, I believe, so we're on equal footing here with that. :).

By the way, deep, that thing you said about the Jews being the chosen people and homosexuals being the chosen orientation-that's interesting. :). I should write that down somewhere.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
All we're saying about heterosexual parents is that homophobic people will sit there and say that kids are better off not having parents of the same sex, that same-sex couples cannot raise kids appropriately, and we're saying that's not true-

This is beginning to aggrivate me... you say it so casually... "yes, you homophobic people will just sit there and condemn" in so many words.... This is your opposing view, I guess it's easy to amount it to homophobic. But just to clarify (since it seems I must) my best friend for the past 8 years revealed to me a year ago that she is gay, and I still love her all the same... and I would say with confidence that most people who feel that homosexuals should not adopt say this not out of homophobic attitudes but due to other, respectable reasons which I guess some people choose not to hear. I have heard the opposing side to my view, and I respect it and understand what is being said... but it is still my belief that allowing homosexuals to adopt is taking nature into man's own hands and manipulating it in order to suit our needs... I do not think this would be the proper solution to the oversupply of children which has been mentioned. I do think that the solution lies in man himself... This was not always an issue in society. You cannot deny that standards have been lowered, it has been made so easy to disregard a child, primarily due to the legalization of murder, which society prefers to call abortion. Also a factor is the number of teenage pregnancies -- I think the problem arises in these areas of lowered standards. Adoption remains a beautiful thing... couples who perhaps cannot produce children are able to raise a life.... something beautiful is made out of something untimely. Rather than twisting nature in order to suit ourselves, I think it's time the standards are raised. I do not think it is impossible to raise standards so long as enough people who feel the same come together.

pr0digy said:

There is no substitute for the natural mother and fathers love for their naturally born child. Argue all you want, this is my opinion, and I stand by it.

Do you think before you type????????????
Do you really believe that adoptive parents cannot love a child as deeply as a biological parent? I guess you are right it an opinion and I think I heard it one time when I was much younger and wasted my brain cells listening to Howard Stern.

The man who's name I carry gave more to make my life good than my biological father. His family has loved me, my wife, and my children. No one, not my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins thinks of me as not being a member of the family. Actually, I misspoke...only one 2nd cousin has ever even mentioned it to me.

My God, I was lucky. God provided me with an opportunity. A chance to grow up in a loving househould. If I had grown up with my biological father, my life would not have come close to what it is today.

I only hope that somehow in my life I can make some contribution to give back God what he has given to me. I was blessed.

Peace

paxetaurora said:

See...I shot my post off before reading past the one that irked me.

Pax.....Nice way of putting it. The words in the post hit too close to home. BTW....my father was not gay. I should probably mentioned that in the other thread.

My two aunts have done a wonderful job raising my cousin. He is now married and expecting his first child.

Peace.

Achtung_Bebe said:

I do not think this would be the proper solution to the oversupply of children which has been mentioned. I do think that the solution lies in man himself... This was not always an issue in society. .... Also a factor is the number of teenage pregnancies -- I think the problem arises in these areas of lowered standards. Adoption remains a beautiful thing... couples who perhaps cannot produce children are able to raise a life.... something beautiful is made out of something untimely.

Meanwhile, until this perfect world is acheived, you prefer that children who could be raised in loving homes should remain in group homes and foster homes until...? What?

(This is NOT disrepect; it's a legitimate question that was not answered in the quoted post.)

martha said:

Meanwhile, until this perfect world is acheived, you prefer that children who could be raised in loving homes should remain in group homes and foster homes until...? What?

Yeah, I'd like to know that too. I'm not quite sure how, given the choice between two same-sex parents with a stable, loving home and the uncertainty of foster or respite care, someone would choose not to place the child with the two same-sex parents. This boggles my mind. How is a home with two responsible adults who WANT a child a bad thing?

Achtung_Bebe said:
Adoption remains a beautiful thing... couples who perhaps cannot produce children are able to raise a life.... something beautiful is made out of something untimely. Rather than twisting nature in order to suit ourselves, I think it's time the standards are raised. I do not think it is impossible to raise standards so long as enough people who feel the same come together.

You know what? This upsets me. I, and many others like me, have spent our entire fucking life looking for approval and acceptance in Christianity...only to run into flat out insulting statements like these. And are you being insulting on purpose? From what it reads, not at all...and that's what upsets me the most.

"Twisting nature."

"Raising standards."

Yes, you don't need to say it a third time. You think homosexuals, either consciously or subconsciously, are unnatural freaks undeserving of even the most basic of human emotions. Honestly? At a theoretic level, I would love to deprive you of all love, take away any chances for you having children, nonchalantly call you a "defective sinner" who just didn't have "enough faith" your entire life, and see how you would have turned out in this world. If anything, Christianity is devoid of empathy, a lost art in human emotions...and I've often wondered why I've even given a fuck all these years about Christianity, considering how "un-Christian" it is in practice.

Melon

Last edited:
melon said:

At a theoretic level, I would love to deprive you of all love, take away any chances for you having children, nonchalantly call you a "defective sinner" who just didn't have "enough faith" your entire life, and see how you would have turned out in this world.

Even at a theoretic level, melon, this post is taking it too far and you know better. Please refrain from personal insults.

paxetaurora said:
Even at a theoretic level, melon, this post is taking it too far and you know better. Please refrain from personal insults.

Who said this was personal? I'd love everyone to have to deal with this for at least a day. Maybe then this thread would have more of a human face, rather than ideological motives.

"Dehumanize your enemy..."

Melon

Yes

there are so many children out there and all they want is someone to love them- who cares if its 2 men or 2 women they will still be loved

As far as "standards" go, I'd pick a suitable gay set of parents to a poor set of straight parents, or no parents at all any day! Standards should be based on the care of the child! I don't have any children, but that seems pretty obvious to me....and just because some of us think gay parents are a good idea doesn't mean we are automatically anti-straight! No one here is being Hetero-phobic, or saying anything bad about straight parents in general. We are just making the point that gay parents, who will love and properly care for a child should be allowed to do so! It's so simple!

Regarding nbcrusader's comment about the "gay lifestyle" and the 70's and 80's....I am no expert on this and perhaps Melon could correct me, but I think around that time/era, gay men were really starting to come out publicly and celebrate their sexuality and generally saying we're here, get used to it. They were choosing a certain lifestyle associated with being gay....but I'm sure they didn't actually choose to be gay to begin with, which is the difference.

Nowadays, especially in cities with huge gay populations like Toronto, it's all so commonplace there is no need to push so hard. The Pride parades used to be quite outrageous and interesting, but nowadays you just have a whole bunch of gay men walking along in their shorts and Tshirts pushing strollers....not too exciting for a parade, but a good sign of acceptance in the community. :)

why doesnt anyone at free your mind grow some balls and start a controversial topic for once?!

There is a gay couple who lives 2 streets away from us i have 2 gay friends and my mum has a gay friend- i personally think they are the nicest caring sweetest people ever and nobody has the right to judge them- let ppl live they want to

One time a boy in one of my classes said if a child had 2 gay parents it would be gay- i think that so stupid- people who think like this are dispicable :|

Back
Top Bottom