Setlist Speculation / Hopes / Desires / Fantasies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Preface this by “I didn’t read the article and have no clue what’s going on.”

20,000 receivers of one singular signal is different from 20,000 transmitters which would require 20,000 different signals.

If I understand this system correctly without reading it, just imagine how everyone can tune into the radio and hear the same thing and that doesn’t clog it up. Same thing.

From U2songs

On song being considered that could not possibly be worse from my perspective. One that would be a nice surprise.

"The songs have been decided early, to allow Willie Williams and his team to build the accompaniment for the songs. This includes video footage, but may also incorporate other elements. Unlike most venues, there’s added elements to play with at the Sphere. The venue’s haptic seats make up 10,000 of the 17,600 seats in the venue, and allow for vibration, shifting the attendees, and more. There are also environmental effects possible as well including hot and cold air, wind, and even scent. Additionally each seat also functions as a speaker.

Willie has been at work playing with these new toys since last August. Surely that’s one of the longest lead times to any U2 show for developing material. He’s been working in a smaller scale venue developing video and other effects. Looking forward to see how these special effects get used.

Achtung Baby provided a good head start for video creation, as they knew early on that those songs would all appear in the show. Others we’ve been told are being worked on? “Walk On”, :up:“Dirty Day” and :down: “Your Song Saved My Life” have all been teased. And we do expect from things shared with us to see the Sphere light up in red all around at another point in the show. We’ve also been told that recent video shoot, recreating U2’s original video locations for “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”, were being “shot for the Sphere”, although it wasn’t confirmed that it was for U2.

Asked in May about what else they might play, the topic of Zooropa also came up in Rolling Stone magazine, with The Edge sharing, “Opening night comes just a few months after the 30th anniversary of Zooropa. I think there will be some nods to Zooropa. In our minds, the tours [for Achtung Baby and Zooropa] blended into one. But I think Achtung Baby will be the main focus.” Asked about the possibility of including “Numb”, The Edge shares, “That has been discussed. But it’s by no means sure if we’ll go there. We’ll see.”

Will they be playing different material night to night? The Edge shares, “Unfortunately, because of the amount of time and expense in creating some of these set pieces visually, it’s quite hard to be as quick on our feet and spontaneous as we might have been on other tours. But we still are determined that there will be sections of the show that will be open to spontaneity, and it will change from night to night. I don’t think anyone in the band will want to see the show on train tracks.”

Let the discussion begin…what other tracks do you expect to see in the Sphere? It’s still early yet, so who knows where the band will end up before September 29.

U2Songs could also be full of shit, so there's always that.

They're good, but not gospel. They had a lot of erroneous information in the lead up to the Sphere announcement.

They were pushing the idea that this would be a partly SOS themed show called SOS Baby. How'd that turn out?

Didn't Edge talk like there would be an SOS section in it? They may have missed the name, but I am still worried they may be some truth to the idea that SOS will be forced into this somehow.

I am expecting an awful SOS b-stage-type snoozefest in the show.

I am hopeful that edge says they may have a nod to Zooropa though.

Didn't Edge talk like there would be an SOS section in it? They may have missed the name, but I am still worried they may be some truth to the idea that SOS will be forced into this somehow.

I am expecting an awful SOS b-stage-type snoozefest in the show.

I am hopeful that edge says they may have a nod to Zooropa though.

An SOS-themed section is an absolute certainty. I know everyone does a small, intimate B stage acoustic thing these days, so it would be good to see if they could come up with something unique to reinvent it.

I'm slightly more hopeful about maybe 3 songs from Zooropa given it's the 30th anniversary. Dirty Day, Stay and something from left field - maybe something like Numb if they have a cool idea for it with the visuals somehow aping the video?

Numb would be great! Maybe with a visual that takes the piss out of Instagram filters or something like that? If done well, it could feel very ZooTV.

How about the Zooropa instrumental intro over some cover video thing... ending up with JT/Lovetown "chopping down the JT".. "dream it all up again" etc then Zoo Station?

If they're gonna play any newer songs, the only one I want to hear is 40 Foot Man

Encore incoming of...

Your Song Saved My Life
Ahimsa
...and a rotating slot with one of the godawful remixes they've released in the last 10 years or so

What's the bet it'll be like...

I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Pride
Where the Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found...
With or Without You
Zoo Station
Even Better than the Real Thing (very little guitar, mostly played in a dance style via the PA)
One (SOS)
Until the End of the World (SOS)
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (SOS)
So Cruel (acoustic)
The Fly (SOS)
Mysterious Ways (done as per the album, no slide solo)
Tryin' to Throw Your Arms... (one verse, shortened)
Ultraviolet (same as JT30)
Acrobat (Bono changes most of the lyrics and does a long boring talk before, during and after)
Love is Blindness (acoustic)

Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Ordinary Love
Invisible (SOS)
Every Breaking Wave
Get Out of Your Own Way (not SOS, which is miles better than the original)
Your Song Saved My Life

I think the nature of the venue is going to help shape the set list. This show isn’t simply “i’m going to a U2 show”… I think they are going to want to use the opportunity to take the audience to a different place using the technology of the sphere. I can see Zoo Station as an opener….longer opening in a blacked out sphere and then when the song kicks in, the magic of the sphere’s video system blows us all out of the water.

Streets when the whole place goes red should be something.

Clerks is colorblind and isn’t going to be able to tell if he’s done wiping or not before making it back for the encore.

Yes, I'm also hoping they'll go straight into Achtung.

I saw Kiss the Future last night, and what would be really powerful is if there was something done along the lines of what they did with Bill Carter.

Just my 2 cents on what I’d love to hear and see……

- Not sure what opening they will have but I saw the GB Rap intro, which was awesome, but really hoping they play something not unlike the last leg opening like from the Sydney concert – so much energy and such a build up to Zoo Station’s opening guitar (the image of the euro stars shaking and falling with Bono in front – amazing)
- Lady with the Spinning Head (UV1) such a great song from the AB era about Vegas (well gambling…..) in Vegas on a tour called UV and the song is UV1 seems like a match made in heaven
- Mirrorball man Desire
- Full Zooropa at a minimum off of Zooropa - celebrate the whole album if possible!
- The microphone stand needs to be the one that reminds me of the Eiffel tower - just the greatest stand of all time
- I’d love to hear some Kindergarten AB influence like in Zoo Station where instead of saying ‘I’m glad to be alive’ use the Kindergarten line ‘I’m ready to accept what I once denied’ amongst others, but especially that one as it feels very U2 Vegas residency
- in MW belt out the line 'we move thru miracle days'!

Most important of all – pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese play the songs like they were played in the Zoo TV concerts and don’t half ass it and ‘pop’ them up. The concerts are about the album and that album is about a lot of heavy subjects so play it like it was written to be played. For what its worth I just saw Tears for Fears at Budweiser stage and they played their songs true and sounded amazing – awesome concert.

Dec 6 here we come!

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents on what I’d love to hear and see……

- Not sure what opening they will have but I saw the GB Rap intro, which was awesome, but really hoping they play something not unlike the last leg opening like from the Sydney concert – so much energy and such a build up to Zoo Station’s opening guitar (the image of the euro stars shaking and falling with Bono in front – amazing)
- Lady with the Spinning Head (UV1) such a great song from the AB era about Vegas (well gambling…..) in Vegas on a tour called UV and the song is UV1 seems like a match made in heaven
- Mirrorball man Desire
- Full Zooropa at a minimum off of Zooropa - celebrate the whole album if possible!
- The microphone stand needs to be the one that reminds me of the Eiffel tower - just the greatest stand of all time
- I’d love to hear some Kindergarten AB influence like in Zoo Station where instead of saying ‘I’m glad to be alive’ use the Kindergarten line ‘I’m ready to accept what I once denied’ amongst others, but especially that one as it feels very U2 Vegas residency
- in MW belt out the line 'we move thru miracle days'!

Most important of all – pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese play the songs like they were played in the Zoo TV concerts and don’t half ass it and ‘pop’ them up. The concerts are about the album and that album is about a lot of heavy subjects so play it like it was written to be played. For what its worth I just saw Tears for Fears at Budweiser stage and they played their songs true and sounded amazing – awesome concert.

Dec 6 here we come!

If even one of those happened, I'd be shocked.

Y'all are nuts or just overly optimistic if you think U2-1 is playing more than 20 songs.

Achtung Baby (which they will play in its entirety) is 12 songs - that leaves you 8.

Remember, you spent $1,500 to go see a movie - there will be more 'content' in between songs than musical instruments being played.

Factor in 2 or 3 acoustic Bono + Edge + Adam songs (that other stranger won't be invited) and you have 5 to choose from.

Subtract a cover (Satellite of Love) and you are at 4 songs.

Think about what U2 songs would play best against a screensaver and there you have the remainder of the setlist.

If you'd like more negativity meet me in the Overhang thread...

UV stands for Ultraviolet, which they already have covered. And of course, Lady With The Spinning head contains elements that were turned into that song as well as The Fly.

It's unnecessary and there's no way it will get played at this show.

I love Lady With The Spinning Head, but they'll never play that - if only because of the parts of the song which are clearly in the other album tracks.

I still think the opening and the set will depend on how they're framing Achtung Baby. Some sort of intro a la Zoo TV, or do they do Streets, with another song or two from JT and R&H before going in to Zoo Station?

The obvious thing is Zoo Station, but maybe that's too much like Zoo TV?

I'm guessing its going to be Achtung Baby with greatest hits in between and all around, as well as some SOS arrangements for the acoustic section.

I'd still like them to embrace the AB period and get a good few off Zooropa, but I suspect we'll get Stay and possibly a version of Zooropa which might also play in to the "what came next" framing thing.

Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be more than worth the $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom