San Jose #1 Setlist Party :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably because their biggest aspiration is to proove the new songs are worth it and make new songs land and this is why they play only 2 new songs in second part of the show and the rest are warhorses

:doh:

Hence the theme innocence and experience new (innocent) stuff in the first half older (experienced) stuff second

I love the way your still positing for a reaction

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

but we can have 17 posts about them dropping The Troubles after 3 shows, and 63 complaints about how "they can't close with this song or that song", or they have to transition "this" into "that".....

yeah that's better.....

Objectively, yes that is better

I don't for the life of me understand how anyone expected anything different. I am personally shocked by the AMOUNT of change from Vancouver 1. First night in each city will be what they feel is their 'best' show, the rest will be more relaxed and free form.

Do any of you even know U2?

Hence the theme innocence and experience new (innocent) stuff in the first half older (experienced) stuff second

I love the way your still positing for a reaction

Divide the show into two parts innocence and experience? Yep, why not? But so far it seems they don´t follow this plan with songs like Vertigo, Sunday, End Of The World in the first half... It would follow the intention better if they replaced these warhorses with California, Soldier, Volcano in the first part of the show.

Divide the show into two parts innocence and experience? Yep, why not? But so far it seems they don´t follow this plan with songs like Vertigo, Sunday, End Of The World in the first half... It would follow the intention better if they replaced these warhorses with California, Soldier, Volcano in the first part of the show.
You honestly don't understand how songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday fit the show thematically? Perhaps all of our issues have revealed themselves in one post...

You honestly don't understand how songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday fit the show thematically? Perhaps all of our issues have revealed themselves in one post...

But why don´t use new songs when I want to promote them and serve the purpose of innocence/loosing innocence/first experience better?

Will be interested to see how things differ tonight, and whether or not they are going to try again to make big(ish) changes to the setlist. There was what, a 6 song difference between Vancouver 1 and 2?

I slept through San Jose also. I got up at 5 AM GMT and watched Vancouver 1 on Periscope, caught a few highlights from night 2 on Youtube, but now that I've gotten a feel for what they're doing, absent something really extraordinary I think I'm done watching crappy video from this tour. It's already getting to the point of diminishing returns for me, and I'll just save my innocence for the experience @ the Boston & London shows I'm going to.

To anyone who watched...did Bono do the "Hands up/Don't Shoot" again? If so when and how much did he Bonospeak about it?

I like how people are freaking out about the 3rd show of a tour that has just started just because they don't agree with setlist choices. There are still so so many shows to come, this band is just starting to figure out what to play and how to play it. The Troubles didn't work very well live, maybe they'll re-work it and bring it back.

Come on, are you happy with 23 songs, 2 hour and 5 minutes show with a break inbetween and no opening act?????

It's disappointing for many. They should at least play for 2,5 hour and play 26 songs....

Already dropped 1 song that I like :sad:

Come on, are you happy with 23 songs, 2 hour and 5 minutes show with a break inbetween and no opening act?????

It's disappointing for many. They should at least play for 2,5 hour and play 26 songs....

Already dropped 1 song that I like :sad:

It's hardly a "break" though is it? What 3 minute video and then they are back out again

And again just because it's missed one show doesn't mean it's dropped

My opinion, but there's no excuse for them to be this rusty or not sure of how things will work.

They have had 7 months to really plan this tour and the way they've opened its a bit like Popmart.

I'm not thrilled with the setlists either, personally they are not the songs I would pay to see. It's way to slow.

And I'm not really sure they've hit on their idea of innocence and experience. I think they have a great idea, not sure they've executed it. And that's my point above, all this time and this is the best they've come up with?

I'm hopeful once Bono can get a lil more of his tour legs under him, we can get a few more songs thrown in.

They probably just didn't want to pay an opening band. That stage is probably expensive, and after 360 they got used to making a certain amount of money for 2 hours work. Not paying another band offsets the cost. I agree they should be playing longer, and that this new songs + greatest hits show is NOT what we were promised, but in the end it doesn't matter. I'm only able to attend 1 show anyway, and I'm gonna enjoy the fuck out of it!

This is U2. They always play it safe, after POPMART bruised their ego. I admit I'm intrigued by the possibility of SOE being released mid tour, but in reality I do not expect it to happen at all. And I'll be ok with that.

My opinion, but there's no excuse for them to be this rusty or not sure of how things will work.

They have had 7 months to really plan this tour and the way they've opened its a bit like Popmart.

I'm not thrilled with the setlists either, personally they are not the songs I would pay to see. It's way to slow.

And I'm not really sure they've hit on their idea of innocence and experience. I think they have a great idea, not sure they've executed it. And that's my point above, all this time and this is the best they've come up with?

I'm hopeful once Bono can get a lil more of his tour legs under him, we can get a few more songs thrown in.

Who said they are rusty? I have seen many comments about how they have already hit their stride despite it normally taking a good 6 shows?

To be fair no wonder the band could be thinking about jacking it in, the negativity surrounding everything they do, even this tour before it had even started was just negative vibes just mad "don't know what we have until it's gone" well I think we could find out just what it's like without them pretty soon

if they call it quits at the end of the year I highly doubt it will be because 20 or 30 people are expressing legitimate displeasure with their setlists on an internet forum :rolleyes:

They probably just didn't want to pay an opening band. That stage is probably expensive, and after 360 they got used to making a certain amount of money for 2 hours work. Not paying another band offsets the cost. I agree they should be playing longer, and that this new songs + greatest hits show is NOT what we were promised, but in the end it doesn't matter. I'm only able to attend 1 show anyway, and I'm gonna enjoy the fuck out of it!

Whatever their reasons for not having an opening band, it's not because they don't want to "pay" them. I don't pretend to know what U2's arrangements are, but opening acts are typically paid by the label, and it's not much. Most opening bands do it for the exposure, not the money.

And U2 would not be playing one minute longer, or shorter, based on whether there's an opener.

if they call it quits at the end of the year I highly doubt it will be because 20 or 30 people are expressing legitimate displeasure with their setlists on an internet forum :rolleyes:

True. For them to call it quits, it would take at least 50 people to complain about the setlist.

Whatever their reasons for not having an opening band, it's not because they don't want to "pay" them. I don't pretend to know what U2's arrangements are, but opening acts are typically paid by the label, and it's not much. Most opening bands do it for the exposure, not the money.

And U2 would not be playing one minute longer, or shorter, based on whether there's an opener.

True. For them to call it quits, it would take at least 50 people to complain about the setlist.

I'm pretty sure openers like Snow Patrol, Arcade Fire, Killers, Black Eyed Peas, & Muse get paid a bit more then "not much". I've seen 4 of those openers, enjoyed them, and felt like they added value to my evening for my money. Honestly, when I saw Snow Patrol open....I thought they blew away U2 (at least in the context of limited stage effects, turned down sound, and small window to operate in relative to a main act). I liked them so much that I went to see them next time they were through my area.....and guess what....they had an opening act...Ed Sheeran.

The no opening act is a joke as is barely getting over 2 hours with very little variance in songs from night to night when all your stops have multiple dates and some as many as 8 nights (so they are going to rotate between 2 different setlists and mix in a different song depending on who dies?)

Now I get what U2 is and is not. I don't expect Springsteen or even Pearl Jam setlist variance. But, a professional band that has been touring for decades and has major downtime between sets of shows) should be able to fairly easily interject a handful of different songs (and I don't mean rotate between two different sets of a handful of different songs). Now I get many of the songs are tied into themes and their shiny new stage props. Sunday Bloody Sunday into Wolves and Cedarwood Road into Song for Someone are to complex theatrically and prop wise to just plug in a different song and use the cool screen imagery....but how hard is it to reprogram the screen from Invisible to something else other then the now you see me now you don't (and I am not advocating get rid of Invisible as it has a fit thematically and is a newer tune that is some of the point of touring (playing new songs)...but trying to make the point that there are songs where the stage prop effects are not that elaborate that you couldn't plug in something different easily and have a different song.....pretty sure someone can easily come up with a volcano graphic and Volcano could replace Invisible with little effort thematically or visual effectwise).

I should probably just wrap my head around what U2 is and enjoy them for what they are and stop expecting them to change (sort of like my wife should quit waiting for me to change after 20 years). I keep waiting for something different then seeing them during Zoo 4 straight nights over 6 days and having a grand total of 6 songs (in fairness, Bono did drop some variance in his snippets choices) different between those 4 stagnant setlists.

I slept through San Jose also. I got up at 5 AM GMT and watched Vancouver 1 on Periscope, caught a few highlights from night 2 on Youtube, but now that I've gotten a feel for what they're doing, absent something really extraordinary I think I'm done watching crappy video from this tour. It's already getting to the point of diminishing returns for me, and I'll just save my innocence for the experience @ the Boston & London shows I'm going to.

To anyone who watched...did Bono do the "Hands up/Don't Shoot" again? If so when and how much did he Bonospeak about it?

Boston, eh? The first set of shows or the second?

Back
Top Bottom