Rumor: GOYB Single delayed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
.if you want a single to be successful on the charts you don't release it to radio and over 2 weeks later still not have a video for the single out

Absolutely, it's a total fuck up. It seemed a long way between radio release and single release anyway, without the delay.

Vertigo got good exposure because of the IPOD commericial, Even Windows in the Sky got better TV exposure in the UK if I remember, because they used it on some kind of Tv ad campaign before it's release.

The point is that they are old (a lot older than U2 by "today's standards") and they sold a bajillion records. And unlike U2, they are not good.

AC/DC sold well because of a brillant promotion. The album didn't had a "hit", it didn't recieved glowing reviews, but its promotion was perfect. U2, given the promotion, will sell on the strenght of its name only... What amounts to 7-8 million worldwide. (People gotta stop think that if the album don't do well in U.S., it won't do well in the rest of the world) U2 is one of the last bands which have worldwide appeal. If the promotion was good as AC/DC I could see this album going to 4-5 platinum in the U.S. only.

I don't want to get into that discussion again, but even the band stated that they the album didn't come out the way they wanted due to lack of time. And i think that people in general consider Pop a very weak album by U2 standarts.

They do. Along with the two 80's underachieving U2 albums.

AC/DC sold well because of a brillant promotion. The album didn't had a "hit", it didn't recieved glowing reviews, but its promotion was perfect. U2, given the promotion, will sell on the strenght of its name only... What amounts to 7-8 million worldwide. (People gotta stop think that if the album don't do well in U.S., it won't do well in the rest of the world) U2 is one of the last bands which have worldwide appeal. If the promotion was good as AC/DC I could see this album going to 4-5 platinum in the U.S. only.

Out of curiosity, what was so good about AC/DC's promotion? Wasn't it one of those Walmart-only albums?

No matter what anyway, the promotion kicks in this sunday when they play the Grammys, and in all honesty i am bloody excited :hyper:

Out of curiosity, what was so good about AC/DC's promotion? Wasn't it one of those Walmart-only albums?

from wikipedia:

The first 10 tracks were played on radio station network Triple M in Australia 9 pm Monday 3rd and again at 1 pm on Tuesday. Those tracks can now be previewed along with interviews with Angus and Brian on the Triple M website.
With the North American release of Black Ice on October 20th 2008, Columbia Records and Walmart created "Rock Again AC/DC Stores" with the album Black Ice holding centre stage. It was the first time in the history of Walmart that such a large area of floor space was designated to celebrate the release of a new album. In October 2008, MTV along with Wal Mart and Columbia Records created "AC/DC Rock Band Stores" in New York, at Times Square, and Los Angeles. "Black Ice" trucks were also dispatched on the streets of these two cities after the release of Black Ice, playing AC/DC music aloud and making various stops each day to sell merchandise.

And IIRC, AC/DC did shows in key-cities to promote the album.

I don't know... but I think that Wal-Mart deals are worth the risk.

from wikipedia:

The first 10 tracks were played on radio station network Triple M in Australia 9 pm Monday 3rd and again at 1 pm on Tuesday. Those tracks can now be previewed along with interviews with Angus and Brian on the Triple M website.
With the North American release of Black Ice on October 20th 2008, Columbia Records and Walmart created "Rock Again AC/DC Stores" with the album Black Ice holding centre stage. It was the first time in the history of Walmart that such a large area of floor space was designated to celebrate the release of a new album. In October 2008, MTV along with Wal Mart and Columbia Records created "AC/DC Rock Band Stores" in New York, at Times Square, and Los Angeles. "Black Ice" trucks were also dispatched on the streets of these two cities after the release of Black Ice, playing AC/DC music aloud and making various stops each day to sell merchandise.

And IIRC, AC/DC did shows in key-cities to promote the album.

I don't know... but I think that Wal-Mart deals are worth the risk.

And could you imagine the bitching again that would go on? everyone would then be calling the band "sell outs" again,

We cant compare the sales on HTDAAB with this, why? Because record sales was way higher in 2004. The downloading was big in 2004 but it is much bigger now.

What dozens of advertisements around JB Hi-Fi told me is that you get a free t-shirt with the album. That instantly makes it a must buy. As if there aren't enough AC/DC t-shirts in the world already.

if you want a single to be successful on the charts you don't release it to radio and over 2 weeks later still not have a video for the single out..

this is an honest question... where does one even watch videos anymore, besides online?

mtv and vh1 do not show videos. releasing a video for TV is an obsolete form of promotion. questioning why they insist on having the video removed from youtube and similar sites is a much better question.

nobody watches MTV for music anymore.

this is an honest question... where does one even watch videos anymore, besides online?

mtv and vh1 do not show videos. releasing a video for TV is an obsolete form of promotion. questioning why they insist on having the video removed from youtube and similar sites is a much better question.

Very true,good point Headache..... but everybody or almost everybody goes onto YouTube and many people seemed to think that the GOYB video
for the brief period of time it was on helped "explain" the song for lack of better words..even some people on this site mentioned this...at the very least blogs,columns and other websites will have a link to the video....every little bit helps..it wouldn't hurt at this point.

I dissagree. It will be difficult to be beat Pop.
A) In 1997 no one was downloading
B) they just had Achtung baby/zooropa
C) they were much younger

I will be VERY surprised if they top Pop. if they do: good for them, if not, not surprised, That's all

Lets be real here...the true reason why POP sold what it did was due to the fact that it was the first MAJOR full release since the Achtung Baby/Zooropa albums and subsequent blockbuster ZooTV tour. They could have released just about anything and it would have gone to number one shearly off of the momentum of the U2 machine coming off of the mid 90's.....and by anything, I also mean a Bono fart :wink:

Great Question.

Good Point.

Though I can't say that I agree with the inference you make regarding videos as an obsolete form of promotion. Videos will always serve as an appropriate and essential way to promote music. We may not see videos on TV anymore, but you can see them on your laptop, your mobile phone, your XBOX360, your microwave, your toothbrush, your dog's ass......etc. etc.

Just not on TV anymore....and frankly who has time to watch TV with all of those other distractions anyway? After spending hours staring at my dog's ass I have no time for much else.

No matter what anyway, the promotion kicks in this sunday when they play the Grammys, and in all honesty i am bloody excited :hyper:

Very true...great point and if they're smart they will finally have the video ready the next day...maybe they'll show the video behind them as they are playing....now that would be an attention grabber!!!

Time to kick start my ol' habit and start a new VCR tape (yes, I am still using VCR recording) documenting a new U2 on TV era. :nerd:

Driving the wife nuts with my U2 obsession goes into a higher gear this Sunday. :applaud:

Though I can't say that I agree with the inference you make regarding videos as an obsolete form of promotion. Videos will always serve as an appropriate and essential way to promote music. We may not see videos on TV anymore, but you can see them on your laptop, your mobile phone, your XBOX360, your microwave, your toothbrush, your dog's ass......etc. etc.
releasing a video for TV is an obsolete form of promotion

:wink:

Time to kick start my ol' habit and start a new VCR tape (yes, I am still using VCR recording) documenting a new U2 on TV era. :nerd:

HA!

I still have Popmart on VHS. The tape kind of sticks a little bit during some of the middle of the concert.

On my tape Bono sings "I stiiiiiiilll haven't fof#%@f93hf what I'm looking fooooooor!"

I hate VHS.

onoz_omg2.gif

Is this a rumour or has it been confirmed, ive seen nothing on u2.com :huh:

And why do you think that it's now titled rumor? :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom