Rate Boots!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you rate Get On Your Boots?

Votes: 70 7.1%

Votes: 136 13.9%

Votes: 282 28.8%

Votes: 231 23.6%

Votes: 113 11.5%

Votes: 44 4.5%

Votes: 36 3.7%

Votes: 24 2.4%

Votes: 16 1.6%

Votes: 28 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What kind of scale are we using here anyway?

Does 10 mean U2's best work ever and 1 mean U2's worst?

In that case, it's pretty rich to give it a 10, imo.

What kind of scale are we using here anyway?

Does 10 mean U2's best work ever and 1 mean U2's worst?

In that case, it's pretty rich to give it a 10, imo.

10 - Perfect
9 - Fantastic
8 - Great
7 - Good
6 - Above average
5 - Average/Mediocre
4 - Lousy, but listenable
3 - Pretty bad
2 - Astoundingly, puzzlingly bad
1 - "WTF U2" on all counts

I think people are using the rating scale in different ways here too. When I first rated it I was thinking more along the lines of just rating the song alone, 1 to 10, how much I was enjoying it. I gave it a high score because I really was liking it a lot. Now if we are saying compare this song to all u2 songs 1 to 10, that's something different. I would not have gone as high. So it does depend on which way you are using this poll.

10 - Perfect
9 - Fantastic
8 - Great
7 - Good
6 - Above average
5 - Average/Mediocre
4 - Lousy, but listenable
3 - Pretty bad
2 - Astoundingly, puzzlingly bad
1 - "WTF U2" on all counts

Nice
This confirms that my 9.75 was right. :wink:

For me, instrumentation gets a 7. The lyrics and vocal style get a 5. I feel Bono dragged this tune down a little bit.

So I give it a 6. Decent stuff, but expecting better from the rest of the album.

Aside from my sarcastic comment, I can't seem to find any indication that anyone agrees with you that an average rating is a 7. Perhaps you should give LemonMelon and mikal that wonderful grading scale lecture as well.

Well, they do seem to agree with you, which may be a problem with the poll in the first place. Just because I was curious but I asked 5 of my friends because of this thread, completely unrelated to the subject (Boots), what is average to them on a 1-10 scale, and two said 7, one said six (why?) and two said five.

So because I have no problems and enjoy Mikal and LemonMelon's posts for the most part because they actually contribute something, I'll spare them the lecture and will be dropping this from this point forward because its silly.

:dancing:

edit: the best way to ask/poll would simply be: Excellent, Very Good, Average, Fair, Poor. even then, what are you comparing it to? current radio? U2's past catalogue?

So because I have no problems and enjoy Mikal and LemonMelon's posts for the most part because they actually contribute something, I'll spare them the lecture and will be dropping this from this point forward because its silly.

whew! thank you! :wave:

well, when I went to school generally speaking 60% was considered a pass, 70% avarage, 80% good
something like that anyway

so it's not completely outlandish

?

Holy shit....is this a semblance of common sense I'm finally reading in this thread?!!

BRAVO! :applaud:

Crap. :eyebrow:

There are a lot of bands and artists who are mainly big in Europe and are still considered "big acts".

Some people still seem to believe America is the center of the universe, that Europe comes after that and that there is no rest of the world.

Like Paul McGuiness? He's served the band well in the past but I suspect he hasn't quite caught on that there is a European common market, the Berlin wall has come down and we've moved beyond the 80's.

Personally I think that with the European common market and the Euro a band can become big just playing in Europe and be relatively unknown in the US. Just like the reverse is true. And that we are ignoring some pretty big emerging markets in Asia that U2 so far has completely ignored in their obsession with the US. Our western obsession with Hollywood blinds us to the fact that globally more people see Bollywood movies then Hollywood movies.

The point is still that U2 doesn't need just the US to strike it big. There are plenty of big acts in the US who are totally unknown outside of the US and none of whom have reached the status of U2 or the Rolling Stones. For in order to become like U2 or the Rolling Stones you need trans-Atlantic appeal, not just US appeal.

Like Paul McGuiness? He's served the band well in the past but I suspect he hasn't quite caught on that there is a European common market, the Berlin wall has come down and we've moved beyond the 80's.

Personally I think that with the European common market and the Euro a band can become big just playing in Europe and be relatively unknown in the US. Just like the reverse is true. And that we are ignoring some pretty big emerging markets in Asia that U2 so far has completely ignored in their obsession with the US. Our western obsession with Hollywood blinds us to the fact that globally more people see Bollywood movies then Hollywood movies.

The point is still that U2 doesn't need just the US to strike it big. There are plenty of big acts in the US who are totally unknown outside of the US and none of whom have reached the status of U2 or the Rolling Stones. For in order to become like U2 or the Rolling Stones you need trans-Atlantic appeal, not just US appeal.

this is absolutely true, there are so many famous bands or at least those that are getting buzz in us, and in europe, nobody ever heard of them..

so i can imagine there must be even more cases in asia and australia, as they are even more separated.

I've tried and tried to like this song. It's like the more I try to like it the more I don't. I hope this is the worst song on the album or rather, not definitive of the rest of the album.

The song just feels very forced, like they wanted to repeat the success of Vertigo. It just doesn't work for me.

^Well, if it helps you... from what we've been getting from those reviews Boots seems to be really different from the rest of the album.

But no matter what, I :heart: it. A 10/10 tune.

:)

I typed out my own rating system earlier in the thread, so that's where I stand. I think, based on a curve, 7 is average on this forum because IT'S A FAN BOARD. In general, yes, 5 is average.

This song gets better with age too. Well, ok maybe a few weeks but, it's a real grower - I like it more and more even though I loved it from the first listen. I think people around me are sick of hearing me play it now.:D

Back
Top Bottom