Rate Boots!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you rate Get On Your Boots?

Votes: 70 7.1%

Votes: 136 13.9%

Votes: 282 28.8%

Votes: 231 23.6%

Votes: 113 11.5%

Votes: 44 4.5%

Votes: 36 3.7%

Votes: 24 2.4%

Votes: 16 1.6%

Votes: 28 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really don't find it so enjoying having you discussing the same thing in this thread for days, why don't you use PM instead of hijacking the threads? I think everybody has understood your position by now.

This is the way the discussion has progressed. Why didn't you use PM to address me personally?

For someone that loves to claim that is busy and only has 2xx posts since 2001 you've been posting a lot here lately.

This is the way the discussion has progressed. Why didn't you use PM to address me personally?

The thread title is Rate Boots, your discussion may be very interesting for you, but not for people who want to see a poll and different opnions, I understand that you may feel you are progressing and you're satisfied, what I say is that many of us are getting bored and I don't use PM to tell "you" this, because, believe it or not, I'm not talking only to you.
Btw, I'm not going to start a debate about this, I'm not so much interested in your views at the moment.

The thread title is Rate Boots, your discussion may be very interesting for you, but not for people who want to see a poll and different opnions, I understand that you may feel you are progressing and you're satisfied, what I say is that many of us are getting bored and I don't use PM to tell "you" this, because, believe it or not, I'm not talking only to you.
Btw, I'm not going to start a debate about this, I'm not so much interested in your views at the moment.

Same reason I didn't use PM. I'm addressing more than one person. If you're bored with what I have to say, you're welcome to move on to another topic that interests you. I'm not stopping you.

Same reason I didn't use PM. I'm addressing more than one person. If you're bored with what I have to say, you're welcome to move on to another topic that interests you. I'm not stopping you.

Why should people who come here for the original topic move to another thread just because you chose to derail this thread?

I like the song more than you do, but great analysis of why you think it is mediocre. Much better than most of the haters here. Basically, great first post and welcome!

Thanks for the welcome and feedback my friend. I suppose 'mediocre' is the term I would have used a couple of days ago for the "single" as opposed to the "song"... I don't mind the song, I was just not quite sure about it as the first single.

I actually heard the beach clip of this about 20 times, and was really looking forward to it, and then I loved it on first listen, but repeated listens saw it drop down in my estimation to a 6/10.

I would probably still give Boots a 6, but it has increased in my estimation a little over the last few days. I think in fairness to the boys I should add a few points to my post above, of some of the things I do like about GOYB...

I already mentioned that Adam's performance is superb, and I will add to that the fact that Larry surpasses himself as usual... And as I stand by my comments that the song lacks a true chorus, I will add that perhaps Edge's riff is indeed in itself, the chorus... Bono has taken a step back from the music on this one and is letting the musicians do all the work.

As such, the band does a great job in crafting a some great fast paced music... Zeppelin lover though I am, I am still not convinced about the "Let Me In The Sound..." part, it seems to kick in right when the frantic tempo of the song is about to win me over... As Bono wails "I don't want to talk about wars between the nations...." the song feels like it's at a climactic peak, and the strange Bonham section, musically excellent though it is, seems to interrupt the flow...

However, as I said, some positive attributes:

- most definitely the song is an evolved descendent of Vertigo, and I love Vertigo... similar riff structure (also similar riff structure to Discotheque and The Fly) but now Edge is playing these crunching notes on a single string heavily laden with effects, rather than the power chords of Vertigo... less Malcolm Young and more Jimmy Page!

- the louder you play Boots, the better it sounds... as someone pointed out in the "now you have heard it for five days" thread, there are U2 fans all over the world discovering what a great hit the road, windows down, volume up, foot on the pedal song this is!

- the pace of the song is addictive, it is one of their fastest, and not to many 48-49 year old rockers that I recall can produce music of this pace and freneticism...

- I really do like the, for want of a better word, Eno-esque "bridge" with Edge signing the main lyrics and as per quite a few classics in the past, Bono sweeping in over the top for the last few words... and of course while Edge gets the main chorus parts and Bono wails in the background, Lanois and Eno are harmonizing in the distant background, loud enough to know they are there but not loud enough for their tones to take away the Edge's dulcet tones... I will repeat, I wish this section was sung a third time during the song... maybe even a musical blend of this section and "Sexy Boots... Get On Your Boots", at the conclusion, I feel this would have become the more clearly recognised chorus of the song, and it is a proven fact that singles with three choruses are generally hits, while singles with only two choruses tend to flop...

- Lastly, as always with this band, when you start to form images in your mind based around the lyrics... when Bono's random thoughts and "join the dots" attempts at lyrics start to thread together inside your head, as always, the music seems to take on a different dimension... it's always a mistake to judge a U2 song on just the music, because the lyrics play a big part in shaping what they band was trying to get at when they wrote the song... on the surface, like Vertigo, it is a pure pop rocker looking to damage the charts... but this one has a LOT of political messages, and there can be no doubt there are parting shots at the previous US administration, hope and inspiration for the new one, and as many have said, barely concealed barbs directed at those favouring fear over hope... "Satan loves a bomb scare but he won't scare you..."

So, all in all, I would say as a first single it's still a six, and as a song in its own right, maybe a 6.5... It certainly does add a new addition to my U2 hard rock driving CD, which includes such illustrious heavily distorted guitar-and-drums-driven tunes as The Fly, Until The End Of The World, Desire, Discotheque, Vertigo, New York, Zoo Station, All Because of You, Last Night on Earth, Elevation, Mofo, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Bullet the Blue Sky, Hawkmoon 269, among others...

But still, I get the feeling, there is much, much better to come on this forthcoming album...

So, all in all, I would say as a first single it's still a six, and as a song in its own right, maybe a 6.5... It certainly does add a new addition to my U2 hard rock driving CD, which includes such illustrious heavily distorted guitar-and-drums-driven tunes as The Fly, Until The End Of The World, Desire, Discotheque, Vertigo, New York, Zoo Station, All Because of You, Last Night on Earth, Elevation, Mofo, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Bullet the Blue Sky, Hawkmoon 269, among others...

(first of all, great post :up:, I wish more people would post like that instead of "THIS SONG SUCKS!!!1OMG!1")

as you said, when making a "U2 hard rock driving CD", GOYB is great.
I gave the song a solid 9, but I'm not rating it comparing it to U2's best song (it would probably be around 6, as you said), I'm not even rating it as "first single" (maybe a 7 in that case).
Desire, Numb, Discotheque, Vertigo are not the best songs from their albums and I'm sure GOYB is not the best on NLOTH.
I'm rating the song as "U2 hard rock driving track" and as that it is great.
It's fresh, it's fun, great lyrics, it has that 70's rock vibe and at the same time you can hear some Muse, Bjork sounds of the 00's
:up:

(first of all, great post :up:, I wish more people would post like that instead of "THIS SONG SUCKS!!!1OMG!1")

as you said, when making a "U2 hard rock driving CD", GOYB is great.
I gave the song a solid 9, but I'm not rating it comparing it to U2's best song (it would probably be around 6, as you said), I'm not even rating it as "first single" (maybe a 7 in that case).
Desire, Numb, Discotheque, Vertigo are not the best songs from their albums and I'm sure GOYB is not the best on NLOTH.
I'm rating the song as "U2 hard rock driving track" and as that it is great.
It's fresh, it's fun, great lyrics, it has that 70's rock vibe and at the same time you can hear some Muse, Bjork sounds of the 00's
:up:

Thanks for the kind comments :up:...

I figure if I am a genuine U2 fan I have every right to criticise the four lads from Dublin, and as long as it's constructive criticism that acknowledges the good and the bad, they would welcome it.

Perhaps, like most U2 fans, I should really be asked "how do you rate this U2 song on a scale of SIX TO TEN?" :D

Because I would still be very reluctant to give any of their songs less than 5....

So therefore, while a song like GOYB for me is a six and therefore very low on the overall scale...... (and we also have to take into account the songs that the band have previously released... if there is to be a genuine comparison, well, it has to be a very very very high quality U2 song to get up towards the 8s and above)...... in terms of music overall, even some of the songs I would rate very low on this six to ten scale, I would still love and rate more highly than a lot of music by other bands...

If you follow my ranting late night logic above!

after a week it has to be only a 4 for me .:sad:
it is by far the poorest lead single from any U2 album.
i hope that is just a smoke screen and the album is much better than this first offering.

Muse and Manic Street Preachers are big arena acts in Europe and the rest of world in general but not in the states...Muse have even entered into stadium territory in the UK...so yeah success is not predetermined by what's big in the States.

Muse is known here. Last album hit #9 on Billboard. Knights of Cydonia received lots of airplay on rock radio. Time is Running Out was their first hit in the US back in 2003 and coincidentally, was even their FIRST top 10 hit in the UK.

MSP is hardly a major international act. They have a cult following worldwide, sure, but barely charted anywhere besides the UK. Like America would embrace a commie band that covered Rihanna anyway.

Muse is known here. Last album hit #9 on Billboard. Knights of Cydonia received lots of airplay on rock radio. Time is Running Out was their first hit in the US back in 2003 and coincidentally, was even their FIRST top 10 hit in the UK.

"is known here" is enough for you to "prove" that every succsesfull worldwide band has to be big (your own words) in the US? oookaay...

"is known here" is enough for you to "prove" that every succsesfull worldwide band has to be big (your own words) in the US? oookaay...

Did you not read the rest of it? #9 on Billboard. Knights of Cydonia.

I'll reword: They are POPULAR here. There, mistake corrected. Thank you for nitpicking, or else I would have never caught that.

Their loss...but both of their success comes primarily from Europe not from the States. When Muse were already performing in arenas around Europe they were supporting My Chemical Romance in the states. Manic Street Preachers I would say are pretty international, they do quite well in South East Asia as well as Australia touring wise.

Kings of Leon would be quite a recent example as well, their success being primarily elsewhere outside of the US, as well as I would say The Killers, much more successful outside the US than in it.

There be many bands, and yes I know they all have a degree of success in the US, but they are all much much more successful outside it.

Did you not read the rest of it? #9 on Billboard. Knights of Cydonia.

I'll reword: They are POPULAR here. There, mistake corrected. Thank you for nitpicking, or else I would have never caught that.

you're welcome.
Still, it only shows a band that's huge worldwide only starting in US

Their loss...but both of their success comes primarily from Europe not from the States. When Muse were already performing in arenas around Europe they were supporting My Chemical Romance in the states. Manic Street Preachers I would say are pretty international, they do quite well in South East Asia as well as Australia touring wise.

Kings of Leon would be quite a recent example as well, their success being primarily elsewhere outside of the US, as well as I would say The Killers, much more successful outside the US than in it.

There be many bands, and yes I know they all have a degree of success in the US, but they are all much much more successful outside it.

KOL and the Killers have a good following in the US. After all, they are FROM here. KOL was even grammy-nominated. Their popularity can be partly credited to U2, as they were chosen to open for U2 in the past. The Killers are mainstays in the US charts.

Whatever names you throw at me, they are not even close to approaching superband status that U2 enjoys. U2 are infatuated with US money. They have recorded in studios here. Homes here. The point is that they need the US to continue to be dominant. How can anyone even deny that?

They may be popular in the US, but all i'm saying is their success is primarily elsewhere, everywhere else got the bands i've mentioned a good while before the US did, the majority of the fanbase is not stateside, a fact recognised very often in interviews with The Killers and Kings of Leon.

What bands are in U2s league? The only band I can think of is The Stones:shrug:

U2 would still sell many millions more album wise than any band i've mentioned thus far without US success....but as you said it's a question whether U2 would accept being not as successful in the states.

Oh yeah and I reckon U2 spend more time in the south of France than they do in the states!

To be honest this whole success thing is all relative and it's an argument I find immensely boring and unproductive, it goes nowhere and means nowt.

They may be popular in the US, but all i'm saying is their success is primarily elsewhere, everywhere else got the bands i've mentioned a good while before the US did, the majority of the fanbase is not stateside, a fact recognised very often in interviews with The Killers and Kings of Leon.

What bands are in U2s league? The only band I can think of is The Stones:shrug:

U2 would still sell many millions more album wise than any band i've mentioned thus far without US success....but as you said it's a question whether U2 would accept being not as successful in the states.

Oh yeah and I reckon U2 spend more time in the south of France than they do in the states!

To be honest this whole success thing is all relative and it's an argument I find immensely boring and unproductive, it goes nowhere and means nowt.

Thanks for your lengthy participation in this immensely boring and unproductive argument. You're such a trooper for subjecting yourself to that kind of ordeal.

I know, but tis all for the good of mankind, i'm a great humanitarian:love:

But come on you got to admit this does go nowhere? It doesn't reveal anything interesting or new and i've heard this sort of discourse here, there and everywhere a million times before in a variety of shapes and forms. Wait till the album comes out then there might be something worth discussing.

Anywhos I got food to make and a night out to get ready for, enjoy the rest of the discussion most majestic one*bows*

So far, a 7

I've only really heard it 2x's....been very busy with looking up other things (Inaugural stuff), uplaoding DC photos & w no net at home.....

It dosen't completely "gell" yet totally as a song for me.

At the same time I also hear exciting/cool things in it... which make me even more eager for the new album and the Tour! :hyper: :D

Back
Top Bottom