Random Music Talk XXXI: Rapture? I Hardly Met Her

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I crazy, or did I post a "ha!" in response to laz's Denny's joke earlier? I swear I did.

I AM LOSING MY FOOL MIND.

Finally heard something by The Twilight Sad. This should've happened ages ago. I inherently love every one of these scotch rock bands, and, shock and awe, I loved this one too.

Coldplay: Can't wait for their new one, so laz please take your Guy Ritchie comments elsewhere. This is random music, and there's not enough reason to bump the thread. I don't know about Viva La Vida being better than No Line, but it's definitely more consistent, and I too would take Strawberry Swing over anything on No Line. Chinese Sleep Chant was fantastic as well. In fact, maybe VLV is better. I'll probably revisit it before I do No Line.

I'm sure these are the lyrics to which GAF is referring: "I turn the music up / I got my records on / I shut the world outside until the lights come on" and he is right, they are very Chris Martin. There's also a youtube clip on their facebook under those lyrics, but no sound. I reckon we're getting a new album this year, and I for one am probably more excited by that than any potential U2 release. I've become pretty apathetic about the band recently; maybe that's why Bono's recent quotes and Spiderman and the delays have barely annoyed me. I never for a second believed we'd get an album in May.

I've tried to semi-avoid spoilers, but haven't done a good job of it, as I sorta know of what songs I should be excited about. That said, it hasn't sunk in until just now that I will likely see and hear Zooropa live. Zooropa was the first U2 album I actually purchased (the week it came out, I believe), and the title track has been a favorite of mine since. To hear it live and in person is sort of going to be a big deal for me.

Beyond jealous, man. I loved the shows I saw but the fact I didn't get to hear AIWIY, Stay, Zooropa or Ebert is eating me up inside.

"Yes." *intense stare* "I would like fries with that."

this made me laugh.

The Twilight Sad

edward-cullen-desk.jpg

bella-swan-pegging-edward-cullen.gif

Edward.jpg

That reminds me I watched the episode of Parks & Rec (starring Randy from HIMYM, who is hilarious!) about the Twilight fanatic yesterday. Another very good episode. Tom is so funny... "your Mum upset her son turned out to be such a loser?" and then getting into Twilight and having discussions with Donna and him... and then at the end telling him to shut the fuck up. :lol:

I'm sure these are the lyrics to which GAF is referring: "I turn the music up / I got my records on / I shut the world outside until the lights come on" and he is right, they are very Chris Martin. There's also a youtube clip on their facebook under those lyrics, but no sound. I reckon we're getting a new album this year, and I for one am probably more excited by that than any potential U2 release. I've become pretty apathetic about the band recently; maybe that's why Bono's recent quotes and Spiderman and the delays have barely annoyed me. I never for a second believed we'd get an album in May.

I am by no means a Coldplay hater, I put them in a lower league for sure, but I'm a fan, but if you aren't more excited for the potential of a pairing of U2 and DangerMouse than you are for Coldplay's Continued Quest to Be U3, then I've gotta infer that you were a CP fan before coming around to U2... or you're just nuts.

powerhour24 said:
I am by no means a Coldplay hater, I put them in a lower league for sure, but I'm a fan, but if you aren't more excited for the potential of a pairing of U2 and DangerMouse than you are for Coldplay's Continued Quest to Be U3, then I've gotta infer that you were a CP fan before coming around to U2... or you're just nuts.

That post was definitely worth a Friggin Cobbler. U2 has made albums far, far beyond anything Coldplay could imagine creating, and was about on par with them last time, so why not be more excited for a new U2 release? The potential for greatness is far higher.

Again, preferences are our own, but I can only guess it comes down to allegiance, but then he obviously really dug VLV, I don't really want to start that whole NLOTH vs. VLV thing or even the U2 vs. Coldplay thing again, that's a wormhole that's been traveled far too much. I was just commenting on the anticipation thing.

Finally heard something by The Twilight Sad. This should've happened ages ago. I inherently love every one of these scotch rock bands, and, shock and awe, I loved this one too.

:up: bout time! I've been trying to whore them out here for ages. What song was it?

Again, preferences are our own, but I can only guess it comes down to allegiance

Not taking either side here, but it could also be that it can be so frustrating to get excited for a new U2 album these days that the Coldplay one wins by default

It was the first album. I've heard a song here or there by them, just never got around to an album.

bono_212 said:
It was the first album. I've heard a song here or there by them, just never got around to an album.

Well the first one is definitely the better of the two, but the second is pretty solid in it's own right. They've also got a live album out that isn't half bad. They do a cover of Joy Division's Twenty Four Hours on it

I'll be sure to get to the second album, but seriously, this kind of music is a given for me to like. Definitely will not take quite so long getting to the second record.

Not taking either side here, but it could also be that it can be so frustrating to get excited for a new U2 album these days that the Coldplay one wins by default

Do you harbor any ill will toward your parents for naming you Jive?

Did people tease you as a child by chanting the chorus of the Beastie Boys' "Brass Monkey" in your face with your name inserted into the lyrics?

JIVE TURKEY!

THAT FUNKY TURKEY!

People in front of me literally turned around when Zooropa ended because I was cheering so loudly.

:up: I outsang the sound system during HMTMKMKM.

That was honestly my favorite song on the night. It really surprised me how good it was live.

Where did you end up Reggo? I was about 8 rows back from the stage on Adams side of the inner circle. We didn't get there till 6:30, but thanks to all the advice from Interference, I knew exactly where to go and they were still letting people in.

u2popmofo said:
People in front of me literally turned around when Zooropa ended because I was cheering so loudly.

Awesome man. People did the same thing to me when I started cheering as Bono began, "sometimes I feel like is don't know..."

I almost had a fight with a man because he said "fuck Jay-Z".

More importantly, how (bad) were The Fray?

I ran into some friends from high school in the inner circle who are die hard u2 fans, and so we were all belting out the lyrics during Zooropa. It was fun, and so cool to hear it live. Get your head out of mud baby!

I can't believe how many people fly in from out of state, or out the country (including Australia, Cobbler) and go to the shows by themselves. I talked to five or six different people who were all alone. I don't think I would ever hit a U2 show alone like that.

That was honestly my favorite song on the night. It really surprised me how good it was live.

Where did you end up Reggo? I was about 8 rows back from the stage on Adams side of the inner circle. We didn't get there till 6:30, but thanks to all the advice from Interference, I knew exactly where to go and they were still letting people in.

i got dead center inner circle. Edge and Bono did the bridges-meeting thing directly over my head.

i got dead center inner circle. Edge and Bono did the bridges-meeting thing directly over my head.

Very cool:up:

This was the first U2 show (of 5) that I've been even remotely close to the stage, so it was a bit surreal. Is that really Bono and Edge ten feet in front of me? Really, really really cool experience.

The girl that was pushing through the crowd in the inner circle while she was throwing up, not so cool. I have no idea why she wouldn't move to rail. She got some on some people too. Gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom