Random Music Talk XXXI: Rapture? I Hardly Met Her

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
Boo-ya.

If anyone could change the title to something resembling a competent joke, that would be nice.

The joke came faster than I could adequately type it. Confidence = dropped.

Atlanta's airport shepherds nearly every connecting flight from the Southeast to the rest of the country. Shit's sprawling.

So basically O'Hare isn't as busy because there are other major city airports in the region? I guess that makes sense. Still surprising to me.

I wonder if it also has to do with more flights from Europe terminating at East Coast airports like Atlanta. Also, Chicago probably has more overall air traffic coming into it than Atlanta, but it's divided (not evenly but divided anyway) between O'Hare and Midway.

It appears that the reason is mainly because Delta has consolidated a good number of their hub traffic there, whereas other airlines spread out their connections over more hubs.

Still...IN THE WORLD??

Yeah, and like you said above, if you combined the NYC area's three airports you'd have a bigger number as well.

So basically O'Hare isn't as busy because there are other major city airports in the region? I guess that makes sense. Still surprising to me.

And Midway is a huge airport as well. I've flown to or from Chicago over ten times in the last year years, and every time has been though Midway.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see that NSW already said this.

I flew through Midway once, and it was a part of the one and only (so far) "air travel nightmare" experience I've ever had. When I fly home to Wisconsin, I've started avoiding O'Hare if at all possible. I got fed up with delays and cancellations and would end up renting a car and driving 6 hours. Now I go through Minneapolis, because if I end up having to rent a car, it's only a 3 hour drive to my folks' house. Ha.

Cori....Newark isn't some awesome airport, but it's not a horror show either.

That's good. I made sure to get a flight with a long layover on the return in case customs took a long time, but then I found out that I'll go through US customs at the Shannon airport anyway. Oh well.

I have two passes to hang in the Continental lounge, which I'm sure will just be the epitome of travel luxury. ;)

I was in Chicago in December for a conference. I went through Midway because I flew Southwest. All of my coworkers flew Alaska and were stuck at O'Hare for two days, while I got back home right on schedule.

Don't know if that's typical, but it worked out well for me. Got to eat at Harry Carey's in the airport to boot.

No spoken words said:
Not a surprise.

Apologies, Sir. That's what I get for skimming. :wink:

Cori, my worst travel experience also came at the hands of Midway. I was going home for Christmas, but my flight was cancelled at the last minute. The only remaining flight was through Milwaukee the next morning, so I had to take a bus there in a terrible blizzard and sleep on the floor. At least the flight left on time the next morning.

Yeah, that's no good.

I flew home for Christmas the year I moved out to Seattle. Never having had to fly anywhere at Christmas, I didn't quite wrap my brain around what "busiest travel day of the year" really meant.

I had a red-eye (had never done that before, either) on either Air Tran or ATA - one of those smaller A airlines. Got to the airport, flight was cancelled, rescheduled for 6 in the morning or whatever. No one from the airline was there to help us rebook or do whatever we were supposed to do, so they ended up bringing in people from another airline to help us. They gave us a $10 voucher for food .... and there was only one tiny cafeteria-type place open in the entire airport.

So I did the sleep/doze uncomfortably on the floor thing, got maybe an hour of sleep because of the heinous Christmas music being piped through the airport.

Get on the plane at 6 in the morning. We sit at the gate for about an hour because there was no one there to load the bags on the plane.

We land at Midway, and sit on the runway for almost 2 hours. I believe the day before they had a near-riot at Midway because of a similar situation, where a plane's passengers revolted and cops had to be called.

Get off the plane, and the airport is so packed with travelers that they have police there to make sure that there are pathways kept open so people can move. And to prevent further shenanigans, I guess.

I get on the standby list for the last flight out to Milwaukee. And squeak on as the last person called for the flight.

Not nearly as horrendous as some travel stories I've heard, but it remains the low point of my flying life.

Sorry, Jesus. No Rapture for YOU.

227371_540700415569_69800598_31228580_4943540_n.jpg

Danny Boy said:
I was in Chicago in December for a conference. I went through Midway because I flew Southwest. All of my coworkers flew Alaska and were stuck at O'Hare for two days, while I got back home right on schedule.

Don't know if that's typical, but it worked out well for me. Got to eat at Harry Carey's in the airport to boot.

Midway + Southwest is a damn fine setup, yes. Never had any troubles with them, whereas O'hare is almost always a pain, especially if you don't have your shit together completely. It's a very daunting airport, and not actually the most fun. As far as oversized metropolitan airuniverses go, DFW FTW.

Also, the Pittsburgh airport has free wi-fi. I've freebased my share of blue crack there.

Not to mention all the "business" travelers going to Atlanta, Germany.
Well played.

I was at Atlanta's airport because I was actually staying in Atlanta for a school jaunt. One of the guys I was on the trip with got mugged, but didn't tell anyone because he was out trying to buy alcohol despite being 17.

Also, that city has a shocking number of homeless people.

I've only been to Atlanta once, but remember walking for about 15 minutes from where my gate to where the baggage claim was.

Coolest Airport I've been to is Hong Kong.

Worst, Manila.

Anyways, who will all be at the Denver show tonight? The Marthas? Anyone else?

Scumbo, did you listen to KRCL this afternoon? I listened on my commute to work. Playing every end-of-the-world song imaginable. I swear, the only one I didn't hear was LNOE. Cracked me up.

A friend of mine described the Nashville airport as Cronenberg-esque. I have no idea what that means. In related news, he's kind of an idiot.

As of now, I'm in a Starbucks eating scones and listening to LCD Soundsystem. This reminded me to make purchasing P4k tickets a priority.

Is anyone here going to the Chicago gig at the start of July? I'm thrilled to be seeing U2 for the first time in 6 years, but I wish I were more excited about Interpol in the opening slot; their new album is just so drab.

I need to avoid ATYCLB so I'm not too burned out on the setlist. Not that I needed an excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom