Random Music Talk LXXXVIII: Don't mention your vacations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know how we're pretending to like Arcade Fire? Well, we're also into The National to look cool. Check it out:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/new-album-talk-i-heard-that-it-was-big-but-this-is-really-big-216114-23.html#post7717843

CAN'T ARGUE WITH THAT.
I read that differently, as in not caring about being cool makes it possible to like The National. Mainly because I don't think it's considered cool to like The National.

But I'm probably naieve (no idea how to spell this correctly) and/or suck at reading comprehension.

I always thought it was cool to like The National? They're like that band everybody seems to like and I haven't read a word against.

Which means I'm uncool.

I like the national. A lot of people here like the national (most people here). My brother, my friend Nate and his wife, my mother, and one of my co-workers like the national. Outside of this, I have no idea what anyone else thinks of the band. And out of the people whose opinions I am aware of, the only one I actually care about is my own.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure "cool" and The National don't really mix. "Hip" is maybe the better word.

It's funny how the other place think it's pretentious to like obscure groups like Arcade Fire and The National. Seriously, you have to go to 1980s CBGB or present day 285 Kent Avenue Madison Square Garden and Barclays Center to hear them play.

Which takes me to:

@PaulMcCartney
The last albums I bought were by @kanyewest @The_National @thecivilwars and @s_c_ (Jay Z) #askMacca
11:15 AM - 3 Oct 2013

So there's this DFA band, Factory Floor. If Get Innocuous is one of your favorite LCD Soundsystem songs, you need to hear their new album. It sounds like what would happen if James Murphy remixed a Kraftwerk album.

It's funny how the other place think it's pretentious to like obscure groups like Arcade Fire and The National. Seriously, you have to go to 1980s CBGB or present day 285 Kent Avenue Madison Square Garden and Barclays Center to hear them play.

Which takes me to:

Just the fact that there is a place on this board that considers the arcade fire and the national obscure blows my mind. How bands that sell out several thousand-capacity venues is obscure is beyond me.

Have you not figured out by now that 90% of interference's membership are sheltered, socially retarded fanatics who aren't even music fans beyond their main obsession?

So there's this DFA band, Factory Floor. If Get Innocuous is one of your favorite LCD Soundsystem songs, you need to hear their new album. It sounds like what would happen if James Murphy remixed a Kraftwerk album.

Sounds great to me. Thanks for the rec.

It's fucking bizarre. Does any other band's fanbase have such a large percentage of people that don't listen to other music?

Bands people in EYKIW are familiar with:

U2
Muse
Bon Jovi

Have you not figured out by now that 90% of interference's membership are sheltered, socially retarded fanatics who aren't even music fans beyond their main obsession?

But how can one listen to this so called "other music" when one must listen to 4 bootlegs a day, 365 days a year and still not get through it all in a year? How can one listen to this "other music" when the obviously most talented and passionate musicians in the world don't even get their fair share as it is now?

In many ways, they're all like older versions of the #teens on Twitter who do nothing but fangirl over Bieber or One Direction.

i generally pretend those people aren't real. didn't the arcade fire open for u2? so technically wouldn't they at least have heard of them?

It doesn't bother me that many of them seem to listen exclusively to U2. That's obviously within their rights. The ridiculous thing is how they boast about their myopia like it's a fucking badge of honor or something.

Yeah, that's bizarre. All of my U2 loving friends also listen to a ton of other bands as well, you know, like normal music fans.

I will say, having spent some time at other boards, their superfans are also crazy, just in slightly different ways. This is one of the least crazy boards I've seen, which is :crack:.

I'm going to kill Jake. I was sitting in my office, listening to Last.fm with the volume lower and my professor comes in to talk to me about missing parts to equipment. Suddenly, "Strokin'" comes on. I'm just like...Oh God, please don't hear that. So, I keep trying to get to the computer to switch the song, but he's standing right in front of it, so instead, I super awkwardly talked loudly over the entire thing until my professor finally left.

I don't think it mattered, there was definitely a point where he looked at the computer in a kind of :ohmy: way.

In many ways, they're all like older versions of the #teens on Twitter who do nothing but fangirl over Bieber or One Direction.

This is great.

To be fair, I was one of them once. For about a year, probably two, after I discovered U2 I listened almost exclusively to them.

Of course I grew out of that when I was about 16, and my life has been much richer for it ever since.

It boggles my mind that since the tour ended we've had quite literally zero concrete news and a 40-second clip of a new song with talking over it, and yet there's been probably, what, like 10k - 20k posts in that forum alone? Discover some other music. iYup's right about their myopia. It's like if they branched out they would be disrespecting their boys.

How about the poster we get every now and then in here who will start a new thread about some band no one's ever heard of with a line about how much they sound like U2.

I'm going to kill Jake. I was sitting in my office, listening to Last.fm with the volume lower and my professor comes in to talk to me about missing parts to equipment. Suddenly, "Strokin'" comes on. I'm just like...Oh God, please don't hear that. So, I keep trying to get to the computer to switch the song, but he's standing right in front of it, so instead, I super awkwardly talked loudly over the entire thing until my professor finally left.

I don't think it mattered, there was definitely a point where he looked at the computer in a kind of :ohmy: way.

At least he didn't start acting out the LuMP Hump .gif in front of you.

U2 is the only band I listen to.

Have you guys seen my new tattoo?

tattoo%20bono-u2%20-%20tatuaggio%20-%20alex%20de%20pase.jpg

No need to add, Sicy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom