Random Music Talk LXXXVIII: Don't mention your vacations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never heard of it. Enlighten me

It's a movie about your friends who killed people and kept them in barrels of hydrochloric acid. It's a famous murder case... even i knew about it before I watched the movie

Son of a bitch.

I even had to read my post five times to figure out what the typo you were referring to was.

I have no excuse. I purposely wrote that.

Hey all, you should give Courtney Barnett's "album" (actually a combination of her last two EPs) A Sea of Split Peas a listen. She's from Melbourne. I saw her open for Something for Kate a while back and she was pretty good. Got a 7.8 from Pitchfork, the following comparison (not relevant to me personally as I've listened to neither) - "Barnett comes across like a slightly less urbane Jens Lekman, or Eleanor Friedberger if her songs took place not in bustling cities but in small, sleepy towns" - and it's quite a good listen.

I suspect her vocals will be the stumbling point for most people, along with The Drones and Paul Kelly she's one of the few Australian artists whose vocals actually have an Aussie twang to them, but I think they suit the songs really well. The lyrics make you listen as well.

Courtney Barnett - Avant Gardener - YouTube

And my fav from first listen
Courtney Barnett - Anonymous Club - YouTube

What an odd typo

Ha, I didn't notice that either until you pointed it out. Even then I had to look at it for awhile before I noticed what was wrong. Maybe it's the association with breakfast and toast that made it look natural.

Speaking of toast, I listened to Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast (Pink Floyd) the other day. Now that's an experimental track for ya. I've always found Atom Heart Mother impenetrable as hell, but I respect what they were going for there.

Yeah, the video is private now. It wouldn't really bother me, I think gender-switching covers are ludicrous too. Just leave the lyrics as they are and if you feel uncomfortable, pick a different song. In this case, she should have avoided the song, but I know no offense was meant by it.

I haven't reviewed a show in just about forever, but I'm throwing my hat back into the ring for the chance to review Iron & Wine and Laura Mvula in a few weeks. :up:

Actually you know what it's probably not all that different to me doing a hip-hop song at karaoke.

Seriously. People should be able to make the distinction between words and their intent. She didn't write it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom