Random Music Talk LXVII: All the First-World Problems You Can Handle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Bellevue, Half Price Books and Silver Platters are in the same mall. Silver Platters actually sends employees over to Half Price to buy CDs, which they mark up and resell. :|

.... there's a Silver Platters at Crossroads? How did I not know this? I've been going there for years! That's my favorite Half Price Books.

Also, big love to GAF for bringing out the "Shit pants and move to trash" Unknown Caller joke over in the album survivor thread. I'd completely forgotten about that one.

Guess who's going to be homeless for a month because somebody else fucked up?

The house I'm supposed to be buying tomorrow had some renovations done. Well, there were no permits for the renovations. So the city is making the nonprofit I'm buying the house from redo all the work with permits before we can buy the house. It's expected to take 2 weeks, but with contractors, who knows? In the meantime, the guy who bought my mom's house where we're living now is moving in on Monday, no negotiations. So there's a gap there where I, my mom, my disabled brother and our pets have nowhere to go. we've looked into motels, but we've put all the money we have into this house. And none of our friends are exactly jumping at the chance to even take in the cat, never mind the humans. The nonprofit isn't trying too hard to help us, either.

Holy shit, you guys. Just got back from the Andy Kindler comedy show. He was hosting and about 5 other comics performed. 50 seat club. Hilarious night. Particularly when James Adomian did an entire set as Jessie Ventura, complete with fake hair and bald spot via "goblin mask with the face cut out". Didn't break character once. After the last guy finishes, Kindler tells us "a couple more comics showed up. Wanna see them?". The first was W Kamau Bell. Awesome. The second? LOUIS CK!!! Holy shit. It was so awesome. The best comedy show ever.
After Louis CK finished, James Adomian came back on and did two spot on impressions of Andy Kindler and Louis CK, then Todd Glass showed up and did this short thing with a sparkler that he was talking about wanting to do at the show I saw earlier in the night. It just turned into a complete free for all shit show and it was amazing in every way

Hahaha. My mom was poking around the nonprofit's website. Guess who's
on the board of directors? One of my mom's very good friends from her
decades in the Real Estate business. She's writing him an email right
now. Maybe something will be taken care of.

7fef8f74093111e2b23022000a1e9bcc_7.jpg

So do I.

Glad you had a good time, JT. Sounds like a fun night.

Oh, cool! I hope you can get something worked out, what you described earlier sounds maddening. Good luck :).

In that same vein, any of y'all peeped the new Ke$ha single?

Hellllll yes. What do you think?
I picked up the Mumford & Sons yesterday (all of them; they were really heavy; my back hurts), and liked it a lot.

I've kept fairly quiet on the topic, but I cannot express how disappointed I am with this album.

to be fair, they're basically handing them the cds on a silver platter.

:rimshot:

:killintheface:

Also, wow, I finally saw Peter Gabriel live tonight. This is an experience that has been many, many years in the making and I was so overcome with emotion that I could hardly grasp that I was really there. Then he played "Secret World" and I about lost it.

If any of you are fans and have the opportunity to go, please please do. He's putting on a really nice show, great (not his best) visuals and a FANTASTIC setlist.

What a week :faint:

Highlights of the set (and the tour as a whole, since he's playing the same set every night):

Family Snapshot
Secret World
Red Rain
Don't Give Up
In Your Eyes
Biko

It bugs me that there's so little variation, because nobody needs to hear Washing of the Water every night over something else on Us like, I dunno, Blood of Eden. Ditto Family and the Fishing Net. Why not throw in San Jacinto or Wallflower once in a while?

Great gig though, everything sounded fine, and it was awesome to hear some more obscure stuff like That Voice Again.

Also, Peter Gabriel III is one of the best albums ever. So paranoid and fucked up.

Secret World is my favorite as well.

I can't imagine complaining about ANYTHING from US being played. Well, except Kiss The Frog.

I really need to get that old tour DVD.

Hellllll yes. What do you think?

It sounds like a Ke$ha lead single. I feel like it's one of those things that will definitely satisfy her already existing fans, but probably won't win her any new ones.

It also kinda reminds of that One Direction song at times.

Seeing DIRTY PROJ in mere hours.

So pumped. Swing Lo Magellan is one of my favorite albums of the year, and I can't wait to hear those tracks live.

Also, Amber.

I can't think right now, do we have anybody from the UK that posts in this thread?

I've just discovered the Graham Norton show. It's a talk show out there, and it's fucking great. Norton himself is really funny, great comic timing, and then at the end of the show they have this bit called "Stories From The Red Chair" where a member of the audience has to relate an anecdote while Norton has his hand on a lever and decides whether the person gets to walk away or get flipped backwards out of the chair.

Fun to watch. There's a lot of it on YouTube. I don't know, occasionally I get in these moods where I find British comedy to be really satisfying.

So, Pitchfork finally reviewed An Awesome Wave and... they gave it a 4.8. :lol: Seriously lol. Probably because they couldn't hype it themselves.

GirlsAloudFan said:
I can't think right now, do we have anybody from the UK that posts in this thread?

I've just discovered the Graham Norton show. It's a talk show out there, and it's fucking great. Norton himself is really funny, great comic timing, and then at the end of the show they have this bit called "Stories From The Red Chair" where a member of the audience has to relate an anecdote while Norton has his hand on a lever and decides whether the person gets to walk away or get flipped backwards out of the chair.

Fun to watch. There's a lot of it on YouTube. I don't know, occasionally I get in these moods where I find British comedy to be really satisfying.

I've seen a few interview clips on YouTube that were marginally more entertaining than most American talk show hosts. He still comes off as extremely annoying, and I don't think I could sit through an entire episode of a show. He could be worse. He could be Leno or something.

I know and like him. You might check out Jonathan Ross as well if you like Graham - similar approaches and style.

Got a hold of the guy. He's calling the nonprofit and hopefully going to make something happen.

^Good to hear, Reggo. Good luck.

Can I just tell you guys that I'm on a Bjork kick right now? I had this moment a couple days ago where I felt like, maybe I'm not a Bjork fan anymore. Her last few albums have definitely taken her music in a different direction that's been tough for me to listen to consistently, so I've just been avoiding her altogether. In an attempt to remedy this, I've been re-listening to Biophilia and then jumping back into the catalog to Post, Selmasongs, Vespertine... Her music really has changed--just hoping my openness to it can keep up. I want to love her newer stuff, but it's clearly not as accessible as her older material.

I know and like him. You might check out Jonathan Ross as well if you like Graham - similar approaches and style.

Oh yeah, I know Jonathan Ross. He's a lot of fun, too. Good ol' Wossy. Love that accent.

I became familiar with a lot of the UK talk show hosts back in the day when I would spend hours scouring YouTube for Girls Aloud interviews. But for some reason I had not encountered Mr. Graham Norton until yesterday. Red Chair 4 Lyfe.

I just mailed my registration in to become a voter. It took me like three days to figure out how to do that. Then another two to decide what I wanted to register as.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom