Random Music Talk LXVII: All the First-World Problems You Can Handle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lazarus said:
Why hast thou abandoned ye olde Prince thread??

An hour of Prince is worth full sets by most artists. The Janelle set is a nice little bonus.

Any other recognizable songs? When I went to one of his afterparties I barely could identify anything. And considering how much non-release/non-album stuff he has it's not surprising.

Hell, the guy opened some of the shows on the tour last year with a song off The Chocolate Invasion, which is a fan club-only release.

I was on my cell and didn't feel like pasting it into the right thread. Plus, hell, I don't know, maybe the discussion could go in a more Janelle-centered direction. I will say that, if these knew tracks are anything to go by, the Electric Lady will be a much more P-Funk record than its predecessor. Me likey.

As far as Prince goes, I couldn't identify much besides the covers and Housequake. Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You has been a staple of the residency. Plus, he's pimping his new girl's album, so they played People Pleaser, a tune from that for like the third night in a row. It's good and she's got a much stronger vox than, say, Apollonia, so I didn't mind.

It was great to finally hear some real funk in downtown Chicago in the dead of night, especially with Prince directing traffic. Very special.

EDIT: here's a set that I found, not sure how accurate it is:

When Stars Collide
We're A Winner (Impressions cover)
Never Loved A Man (Aretha Franklin cover)
Satisfied
I Don't Want Nobody
Housequake
The Jam
People Pleaser

What kind of pet shop is filled with rambunctious yahoos and hot jazz music at 3 am?

Prince's.

Good God. He only played an hour, but it was extremely dope. Once in a lifetime type shit right there.

THEN Janelle Monae came out and rocked some shit from that new album she promised us ages ago, jammed for another 15 minutes or so and closed with Tightrope. The crowds were harsh on her, but I tuned them out and had an amazing time.

I was like 100 feet from Prince. I would have paid $75 for Housequake alone, but the New Power Generation also rocked some Curtis Mayfield and Aretha.

Jesas..that sounds like a fucking party and a half :dance:

Nice!

FYI, that Frightened Rabbit EP is on Spotify, guyz. I'm sorta agreeing with Pitchfork at this point. Nothing really wrong with it, but nothing very memorable about it so far either. Regardless, good to hear they still sound like themselves on the big label.

I was on my cell and didn't feel like pasting it into the right thread. Plus, hell, I don't know, maybe the discussion could go in a more Janelle-centered direction. I will say that, if these knew tracks are anything to go by, the Electric Lady will be a much more P-Funk record than its predecessor. Me likey.

As far as Prince goes, I couldn't identify much besides the covers and Housequake. Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You has been a staple of the residency. Plus, he's pimping his new girl's album, so they played People Pleaser, a tune from that for like the third night in a row. It's good and she's got a much stronger vox than, say, Apollonia, so I didn't mind.

It was great to finally hear some real funk in downtown Chicago in the dead of night, especially with Prince directing traffic. Very special.

When Stars Collide
Satisfied
I Don't Want Nobody
Housequake
The Jam
People Pleaser

For Prince setlists I always look at the Prince Vault website:
Live performances - Prince Vault

It's sometimes a bit peculiar to navigate (the Chicago concerts are in the one-off concerts section, not the 2012 tour one), but this is Prince we're talking about. Straightforward and easy are two words not known to him. :)

Here's the setlist from the after-show, which more or less resembles the one you posted: 27 September, 2012-am - Prince Vault

FYI, that Frightened Rabbit EP is on Spotify, guyz. I'm sorta agreeing with Pitchfork at this point. Nothing really wrong with it, but nothing very memorable about it so far either. Regardless, good to hear they still sound like themselves on the big label.

Ah yes, I remember wanting to listen to this. Thanks Scumbo.

Isn't Prince supposed to play for like four hours and then do an aftershow at 4 AM? Glad you enjoyed it anyway, LM.

We also talked briefly about that Jessie Ware album a few days ago, and it is indeed fantastic. Probably the smoothest, most hook-filled R&B style album I have heard since The ArchAndroid.

I bought a new coffee pot because the old one burnt out. First pot of coffee started a small electrical fire somewhere inside the new one, so I now I still don't have a coffee maker. I suppose this is a first world problem, one sent here by the third world country that made the damn coffee maker.

When Stars Collide
Satisfied
I Don't Want Nobody
Housequake
The Jam
People Pleaser

Jealous that you got to hear a 3121 track (Satisfied). IMO that's his best album since The Gold Experience, and I may even like it more.

For Prince setlists I always look at the Prince Vault website:
Live performances - Prince Vault

It's sometimes a bit peculiar to navigate (the Chicago concerts are in the one-off concerts section, not the 2012 tour one), but this is Prince we're talking about. Straightforward and easy are two words not known to him. :)

Here's the setlist from the after-show, which more or less resembles the one you posted: 27 September, 2012-am - Prince Vault

Thanks for that link! I was able to find the afterparty I saw in Vegas back in 2000.

Here's the setlist:

Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) . .
Everyday People . .
The Ride . .
The Jam . .
She's Always In My Hair . .
Mother Popcorn . .
Santana Medley incl. Jungle Strut / Batuka / Soul Sacrifice / Toussaint L'Overture .
U Got The Look . .
Kiss . w/ DVS
Come And Dance With Me . Kip Blackshire lead vox
Gett Off

The Ride :drool:

and funny because I remember telling my friend that this one long stretch sounded like Santana. Didn't know they were actual covers.

This was 90 min and didn't start until like 2am IIRC.

The Beatles catalog is being re-released to original vinyl in November. Have all the remastered CD's, but have to get at least one vinyl. Maybe Magical Mystery Tour for the book and artwork.

I picked up the Mumford & Sons yesterday (all of them; they were really heavy; my back hurts), and liked it a lot.

Saw Garbage last night. Pretty great. Was in the front row, but in front of a bunch of speakers, so by about 3/4ths of the way through, I started feeling physically wonky due to the sonic assault and vibrating clothes. If I hadn't had ear plugs, I would have lasted about 2 songs before having to move. Also, the sound sucked from being so close to them. Too much bass, some distortion in the vocals. No idea if it sounded any better further back.

Pretty sure this is old, but I dont care

218668d1348759328-funny-strange-random-pics-134874.jpg

I was in a club in LA once in the mid-eighties and my boyfriend began having a meltdown because James Hetfield was at the bar. My boyfriend was too overwhelmed to approach him so I went over and brought Hetfield to him.

That's my James Hetfield story.

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to '80's hair metal.

And Sparkle Motion.

I'm pretty sure I never had even a half-assed commitment to '80s hair metal! :wink:

But :love: for the Sparkle Motion line. It's always appropriate to pull that one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom