Random Music Talk LXVII: All the First-World Problems You Can Handle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, "I'm Always In Love" is one of my favorite Wilco tracks. Love that keyboard tone. I'm pretty sure Bennett came up with, too. Nasty.

iron yuppie said:
I was very pleasantly surprised by The Whole Love; it led me to reexamine their back catalogue, and I found myself really enjoying Being There and Summerteeth. I'm Always in Love is fantastic. YHF remains a mixed bag for me, though.

I love Being There. Wasn't as sold on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

I don't think YHF has aged well but I did love it when it came out. Poor Places and Ashes of American Flags, though, remain two of my favorite Wilco songs.

There were moments at Red Rocks the second night when they were pulling out all the old stuff where I really missed Jay Bennett. I guess I was never real clear on who contributed what in the songwriting in that duo but I couldn't help but wish he were there.

But the current, and I hope final, line-up is as tight as a band can be. I don't think Being There's version of Outtasite (Outta Mind) comes close to the blistering version that closed the show last night.

There isn't one thing wrong with YHF, other than the fact that I've played it too much. I think it's worth all the hype and then some. Summerteeth is a couple tracks too long, but the peaks (She's A Jar, Shot In The Arm, I'm Always In Love, Via Chicago, etc. etc. etc.) are so fucking brilliant it's still just about a 5 star record anyway.

Whole Love's awesome, Being There is awesome, and I think A Ghost Is Born is very good but could have been excellent with some judicious editing.

AM, Sky Blue Sky and Wilco The Album are all passively enjoyable but nothing anyone needs in their collection.

Because I don't really care about labels. I like what I like.

:up: Same.

Glad you had a good time at the show. I only know a few Wilco songs-I don't mind them. I think a friend put "Heavy Metal Drummer" on a CD for me years ago, a live version, but it was on a CD that I can only play on the computer and given that my internet access was spotty for a time in recent years, I haven't had a chance to listen to it much. I'll go back and give it a listen again sometime.

Also, I'm with HG, I too think I need to know more about this Jonathan Richman guy.

There isn't one thing wrong with YHF, other than the fact that I've played it too much. I think it's worth all the hype and then some. Summerteeth is a couple tracks too long, but the peaks (She's A Jar, Shot In The Arm, I'm Always In Love, Via Chicago, etc. etc. etc.) are so fucking brilliant it's still just about a 5 star record anyway.

Whole Love's awesome, Being There is awesome, and I think A Ghost Is Born is very good but could have been excellent with some judicious editing.

AM, Sky Blue Sky and Wilco The Album are all passively enjoyable but nothing anyone needs in their collection.

I think you're spot on. I totally overplayed YHF, and I agree with every other point you made.

I don't know who this is, but it sounds like I need to.

ETA: Found him on Spotify. Shall I start with his most recent album?

I have never listened to a record. mofo posted a video and that's all I knew until I saw him last night. He's kind of indescribable. cori referred to him as a "charming eccentric," a phrase I promptly stole and took credit for.

I love Modern Lovers 88 myself. A good compilation is Buzz Buzz Buzz. Because her Beauty is Raw and Wild is a good recent album.

I'm so glad Jonathan is finding some new love. The last time I saw him, at the Echo, he was talking about something, and the audience gently shushed the people at the bar, who immediately fell silent so we all could hear him.

lazarus said:
Guess you're not including the lyrics. That wannabe-Dylan bullshit kicks off the album in the eye-rolling "aquarium/assassin" lines and recurs elsewhere.

There's nothing inauthentic or meaningless about it if it successfully puts an image in your head. That first verse sloppily sketches out a scene of a drunk fella stumbling down the busy street of some American city (I picture Chicago, because hell, it's Wilco). Most of the song is a bunch of scattered scenes from his current relationship, which fucking sucks because he can't stop drinking and feels like a piece of shit about himself after his last one went awry. Alternatively, he can't deal with how poorly he treated the woman before and now that he's back with her he hates himself.

The description of the always-silent lightning as "tongue-tied" is also wonderful. Bible-black pre-dawn I like too, though King Crimson already did it. There's some stupid shit like the band-aid line (Tweedy probably was trying to stay in drunken character, but it doesn't work), but for the most part I think the narrative is clear and the language vibrant and interesting. Hardly a meaningless Dylan homage.

I will go on record as saying some of Ashes of American Flags' lyrics have made me cringe, as much as I love the music. Tweedy tries too hard to be esoteric on that one.

I'm so glad Jonathan is finding some new love. The last time I saw him, at the Echo, he was talking about something, and the audience gently shushed the people at the bar, who immediately fell silent so we all could hear him.

I was annoyed that the people sitting directly in front of him were talking and playing with their cell phones. But the people in the SRO section were actually having drinks and listening. The people who were listening were smiling and really appreciative. The people who weren't just didn't get it and missed out. And, sadly, most people hadn't even arrived yet.

He sang in Italian and Spanish, Hebrew and Arabic. I was immediately smitten.

joyfulgirl said:
I was annoyed that the people sitting directly in front of him were talking and playing with their cell phones. But the people in the SRO section were actually having drinks and listening. The people who were listening were smiling and really appreciative. The people who weren't just didn't get it and missed out. And, sadly, most people hadn't even arrived yet.

How many magazines did you see in the crowd?

He was the only one playing at the Echo. It's worthwhile to see him with his audience.

How many magazines did you see in the crowd?

Nada.

I just keep thinking of Alan Rickman.

He's good to think about. :hug:

He was the only one playing at the Echo. It's worthwhile to see him with his audience.

I bet! I will seek him out for that. There was a well-known business owner in our row who apparently came just to see him. He was all smiles and laughing and loving it, then I didn't see him during Wilco.

There's nothing inauthentic or meaningless about it if it successfully puts an image in your head. That first verse sloppily sketches out a scene of a drunk fella stumbling down the busy street of some American city (I picture Chicago, because hell, it's Wilco). Most of the song is a bunch of scattered scenes from his current relationship, which fucking sucks because he can't stop drinking and feels like a piece of shit about himself after his last one went awry. Alternatively, he can't deal with how poorly he treated the woman before and now that he's back with her he hates himself.

The description of the always-silent lightning as "tongue-tied" is also wonderful. Bible-black pre-dawn I like too, though King Crimson already did it. There's some stupid shit like the band-aid line (Tweedy probably was trying to stay in drunken character, but it doesn't work), but for the most part I think the narrative is clear and the language vibrant and interesting. Hardly a meaningless Dylan homage.

I love the lyrics. I had a revelation about the band-aid line one night.
Unfortunately I forgot it when the pot wore off, but it was PROFOUND, I tell you.

That made me smile. I loved his little dance at the end. And I particularly liked the lyrics, too.

I've seen that happen at some shows I've been to or in live clips I've seen online as well, during quieter moments and stuff. It really is annoying, yes. I don't get going to a show like that and not paying actual attention to the person you paid money to see.

He sang in Italian and Spanish, Hebrew and Arabic. I was immediately smitten.

Oooh, really? Yeah, that's always a definite plus in regards to a man.

Okay, seems I have to do some more investigating, then.

Richman looks a little bit like Hugh Jackman. Or the other way around.

I like some of those early Modern Lovers tracks. He's definitely an engaging songwriter.

Cuter than Jeff Tweedy. I will say that.

I know of one you can have for about $12.50.

Even Lance's Mom has had to raise her prices in this economy. I remember when you used to be able to have her for ten, or even five if you brought your own vodka.

Still debating on whether to stream the new Green Day or not. I just don't want to be disappointed. Although nothing could be worse than those Stranglers albums I listened to this morning. Wow, those were awful.

Doing so has saved me the cost of buying it, as I doubt I'll be returning to it. So that was worthwhile!

Probably be seeing them when they tour down here in Feb / March though, very keen to see if BJ's stadium / club plan happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom