Random Music Talk CXXIX: Gump attends a concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Ya is for sure great (Crazy In Love is better despite Jay-Z's best efforts to ruin the song), but In Da Club has by far the most long-term impact of any 2003 song.

Last edited:
Hey Ya is for sure great (Crazy In Love is better despite Jay-Z's best efforts to ruin the song), but In Da Club has by far the most long-term impact of any 2003 song.

actually this is probably in hindsight the most influential song of 2003.

I respect your opinion, and I'll hear arguments for Crazy in Love (which also rated really highly and fair enough), but to suggest In Da Club has had greater long-term impact is silly. It's still very well-known, of course, but nowhere near as highly regarded or as genius as Hey Ya! And how was Through the Wire influential? That album was of course, but there's a handful of Kanye songs from the era I can point to as being more influential.

Seven Nation Army is adjacent to this conversation, especially given its ubiquitousness at sporting events over the last... oh... fifteen years.

If you're just talking about cultural impact, it is probably Hey Ya or Crazy In Love.

But if you're talking about best song? Radiohead's There There would like a word.

Though Cobbler did say "pop" song, so maybe that doesn't count.

I respect your opinion, and I'll hear arguments for Crazy in Love (which also rated really highly and fair enough), but to suggest In Da Club has had greater long-term impact is silly. It's still very well-known, of course, but nowhere near as highly regarded or as genius as Hey Ya! And how was Through the Wire influential? That album was of course, but there's a handful of Kanye songs from the era I can point to as being more influential.

i was pretty drunk after going to a baseball game last night and kinda half-shitposting, but what i was sorta getting at with that hot take is that the mainstream rap game completely changed after in a club became the mega hit that it was. before then, it was all dr dre, snoop, and eminem. and obviously i know that dre is the main reason 50 cent became as big as he did, but after that for a few years mainstream rap was all about g-unit type cliques, and the east vs west beef came back in a huge way with 50 vs the game.

of course kanye had his own lane that was completely different than those guys, and eventually he took the crown a few years later but it's interesting to remember the weird era when 50 cent et al had a stranglehold on mainstream rap. it was in my opinion the lowest point for hip hop and for a time (basically until i discovered kendrick) i really bought into the old-heads' "hip hop is dead" narrative. remember when i started the first hip hop chat thread and gave it that stupid "hip hop purists" title that you (rightfully) all really hated? i started that thread in 2007 - peak g-unit era.

and posting through the wire there was also only semi-serious, and i meant "influential" in the sense that it was his first big single that kicked off his career. i agree 100% with you that there are other kanye tracks from that time that are much more actually influential on their own.

Last edited:
I saw Torres last night in a small venue. She was phenomenal. I love Phoebe Bridgers, but I find it weird that she just headlined Pitchfork, which must have come with a handsome paycheck, while Torres, who is better IMO, is playing bars for $15 a ticket. Just weird how some people get breaks and others don't.

In the latest edition of "I Hate COVID"....

I've had tickets to see Dance Gavin Dance since late 2019. It's been pushed back 3 times already due to COVID and then I read last night that Tillian (their lead singer) had COVID and I am supposed to see them Tuesday.

:angry:

I saw Phoebe Bridgers and I'm so glad I did. The choice to open the set with "Motion Sickness" is bold...opening with probably your most popular song isn't a thing many bands/artists would do. But it worked. Everybody is waiting and the suspense is building and then CRASH. Here's the uptempo "hit" song. (Uptempo by Phoebe standards).

I think she became more known for Motion Sickness simply because it was written about that trash bag. Based on the crowd's reaction at the show I saw (St. Louis) Kyoto feels far more popular now. I do agree that it was a surprising choice for an opener but I also wondered if she did it just to get it over with.

I'm a huge Phoebe fan, I've seen her open for The National a couple of times, saw Better Oblivion twice, and was even fortunate enough to see the final boygenius show. One thing I can say is that her fan base has definitely changed over the years. Lots of teenagers in skeleton suits now. Great show, though. I probably listened to Punisher every day during the last half of 2020, so seeing it performed live was really special.

I just experienced an earthquake for the first time in my life. Magnitude 6. In Melbourne!! It's the most alive I've felt in 18 months. So fucking crazy. Would have suuuucked being in an apartment building though.

I don't know why I wasn't very familiar with Supergrass or why they aren't mentioned more often in the Britpop pantheon, but that is a damn good band. I went through their whole catalogue this weekend and really enjoyed every album. They are such easy listens but not at the expense of wit, quirk, and depth.

Anyone listened to the VU&N covers album? I loved about half of it. SVE's Femme Fatale is faaaantastic (what a run she's on at the moment!), King Princess and Kurt Vile's takes on There She Goes Again and Run Run Run are brilliant, and I enjoyed Venus in Furs and Heroin as well. Matt Bertringer's cover of Waiting for the Man is boring as hell and even after all these years I still haven't come around to the final two songs :lol:

I don't know why I wasn't very familiar with Supergrass or why they aren't mentioned more often in the Britpop pantheon, but that is a damn good band. I went through their whole catalogue this weekend and really enjoyed every album. They are such easy listens but not at the expense of wit, quirk, and depth.

They're better than Oasis, that's for sure. I've been a fan since their debut album, and they're my second favorite Britpop band after Blur; I respect Pulp a lot but I don't reach for their albums as often as I do with Supergrass. Their best album IMO is In It For The Money (I put the song Cheapskate on one of my DI submissions).

Saw them during the Life on Other Planets tour and they were great. I was really bummed when they broke up, and I haven't had a chance to listen to frontman Gaz Coombes solo albums but I heard they're pretty good. Had tickets to their 2020 reunion tour but Covid happened. I haven't received a refund and the show is still listed as "postponed" as opposed to "cancelled" so here's hoping it's stil happening.

Glad we have another fan here!

I was at my first show in two years on Friday. A void in me was returned.

Bleachers new album is so good. Jack has pretty much made himself the follow-on to Bruce.

Bleachers new album is so good. Jack has pretty much made himself the follow-on to Bruce.

594bc3f198038e1cd8052ab68d2c9cc72b36031b646ac14a96b338c204e3df14_1.jpg

I'm supposed to go to a concert tonight. First one since February of last year. But it's Tr/st. When I realized I had a miscarriage in 2017, it was while I was at a festival waiting to see tr/st. I left without seeing them. I thought I was going to be ok, but I've spent all day wound up about it. I think I might skip it. I have another show in November, so it won't be a super long wait to finally get back out.

I was at my first show in two years on Friday. A void in me was returned.

Heard it a few times now. I'm not really hearing Springsteen in the music. Even the song Bruce is on sounds more like Magnetic Fields to me. It's great though! I'm glad they're getting better all the time. They're like the Anti-Fun.

I'm going to listen to that Bleachers album since LN7 keeps mentioning it. Did you two ever get around to hearing Pressure Machine?

I'm supposed to go to a concert tonight. First one since February of last year. But it's Tr/st. When I realized I had a miscarriage in 2017, it was while I was at a festival waiting to see tr/st. I left without seeing them. I thought I was going to be ok, but I've spent all day wound up about it. I think I might skip it. I have another show in November, so it won't be a super long wait to finally get back out.

:heart::heart:

Heard it a few times now. I'm not really hearing Springsteen in the music. Even the song Bruce is on sounds more like Magnetic Fields to me. It's great though! I'm glad they're getting better all the time. They're like the Anti-Fun.

The amount of storytelling going on in it, the somewhat absurd but forgivable and appreciable center-piecing for home… err… New Jersey.. it didn’t really hit me until I saw it live. Chinatown isn’t super duper Brucy, but the keys in there are pretty Brucy… but…

Big Life
Stop Making This Hurt
Don’t Go Dark

Ooof. All so good and all heavily Bruce influenced, IMO. They walked off the stage to the sax in Stop Making This Hurt at the end. So good.

I don’t think most people would’ve guessed it was Jack Antonoff and not Nate Ruess who would come away from fun with the bigger career but here we are.

I'm going to listen to that Bleachers album since LN7 keeps mentioning it. Did you two ever get around to hearing Pressure Machine?

You just reminded me to get a move on so I listened to half of it. So far, I’ve heard about god and Jesus more than I would ever like to from Brandon Flowers. Im hoping that’s just me being slow to soak up the lyrical meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom