Random Music Charli LXXXII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of my friends is in the same boat as me religion wise, he just started drinking about a year ago. He and I have been friends since the first day of junior high, so it was nice to have someone I know that well around. He and his girlfriend (raised Mormon, but left in her teens) just went to a bar after another friend's wedding reception. I wasn't going to drink anything, but I succumbed to evils of peer pressure.

First drink was some horrible cocktail my friend's gf thought I might like. All of us got one, none of us liked it much. I don't remember what it was called, had pineapple juice and some sort of sour mix in it. I thought it was flat out awful. Later had a a hard apple cider, at least I think that's what it was called. That more or less just tasted like apple cider, so I liked it a lot. Had a local brand beer an hour or two after that. Beer more or less tastes like a better flavored version of this gross wheat tea that I had many, many times in Japan. My friends were shocked I didn't mind it.

I don't know, nothing super exciting to report. I felt weird from it all, so maybe I'm a huge lightweight, or it was just a massive shock experiencing it all for the first time this late in life. I thought I'd feel bad about doing it later, was sort of a surprise how little I cared. Probably felt more weird about that specifically than anything else. I don't know weird to explain. Like so many taboo things in Mormonism, it's sort of an emotional shock when you realize these so called "evil" things you've had pounded into your head as long as you can remember seem natural and harmless when you finally do it. If anything, that realization in and of itself is more depressing than anything.

Congrats!

Can't wait to read the recap after the first time you get roofied.

Guy looks a lot like Jack Nicholson from The Last Detail.

"I AM THE MOTHERFUCKING SPACE PATROL, MOTHERFUCKER!!"

It's not so much alcohol that makes you lose your voice as it is all the yelling at people you do after you've been drinking alcohol

Voice loss the next day = (x+y)t/c

Where c is a constant signifying the base volume at which a sober person would have to speak in the particular drinking establishment/party/social situation where alcohol is being consumed, and the x variable indicates number of drinks consumed, taking into account your particular tolerance for consuming alcoholic beverages (y). Obviously, T is time spent drinking/shouting.

I've done some truly awful karaoke-ing while drunk. I can't sing, and the amount of alcohol required for me to be ok enough with the fact is also unfortunately enough To 1) make me forget the words to songs I know very well and 2) think I'm too awesome to look at the lyrics.

The worst was trying to sing Sunday Bloody Sunday after 14 pints of Guinness on live band karaoke night after class when I was in medic school. I don't remember much from that, other than I skipped the second verse entirely.

My first ever karaoke performance was a disaster, as my voice gave out halfway through. Since then it's been a mixed bag. I have nailed a couple and butchered a couple others, pretty much entirely depending on how drunk I am.

I tend to talk louder and faster when drinking. Haven't ever lost my voice, though ... unless there's also karaoke involved.

The more I drink, the better I am at belting .... which means my voice is shot after Mr Roboto or Somebody to Love.

But you can actually sing and stuff. I shouldn't be allowed to do karaoke. There is a hilarious video someone from work has on their phone of me and my old partner from work royally destroying the counting crows' "hanginaround." It was fun as hell, but would make for some pretty great blackmail if I was easily embarrassed by things like that. It was so hilariously bad that Drunkest Man in the Bar came over afterwards and asked if we'd sing born to run with him.

Ashley, looks like I may be in Dallas August 31 for LSU vs. TCU.

pouncingtiger_zpseee64581.gif

If it makes you feel any better, sometimes I completely crash and burn on songs I've never sung before but think it'll be really easy. Ha. The funniest bad karaoke I've ever seen ... well, two of them.

One very old guy (he must have been at least 75) at a bar in West Seattle - he was clearly a regular. Singing In Dreams by Roy Orbison. High falsetto, vibrato you could drive a truck through. My friend and I had tears streaming down our cheeks, trying to keep the laughter in.

Then this one time at the old Ballard bowling alley (R.I.P.), this young guy got up and sang Melissa Manchester's You Should Hear How She Talks About You. Could not sing a lick, but dove whole-heartedly into it, crazy dance moves and all. It was a riot.

I have much respect for people who can't sing but don't give a shit and do it anyway, and give it their all.

If it makes you feel any better, sometimes I completely crash and burn on songs I've never sung before but think it'll be really easy. Ha. The funniest bad karaoke I've ever seen ... well, two of them.

One very old guy (he must have been at least 75) at a bar in West Seattle - he was clearly a regular. Singing In Dreams by Roy Orbison. High falsetto, vibrato you could drive a truck through. My friend and I had tears streaming down our cheeks, trying to keep the laughter in.

Then this one time at the old Ballard bowling alley (R.I.P.), this young guy got up and sang Melissa Manchester's You Should Hear How She Talks About You. Could not sing a lick, but dove whole-heartedly into it, crazy dance moves and all. It was a riot.

I have much respect for people who can't sing but don't give a shit and do it anyway, and give it their all.

Second guy sounds like my old partner from work. I almost sounded ok on the shitty phone sound recording compared to him, because occasionally i do hit the right notes. He did the karate kid "you're the best around" song with a scarf tied around his head and tried to get random people up to dance with him.

What gets me is that the backing music is not identical to whatever song it actually is, so drunken won't look at the words douche me misses the karaoke cues because they cut a solo short or skipped a few repeated lines, or altered whether they think people karaoking should put certain background vocals in where I wouldn't, or not where I would...

I wonder if that dude thinks karaoke is as evil and enemy of art as tribute bands.

I watched the music video of Danzig's Mother today for the first time since the '90's. I still like the song, but the video is hilarious. Some really over the top lip-synching. 2:29 to the end is particularly great.

Danzig - Mother - YouTube

I really like "broken" off the new depeche mode album, guys. I really like a lot of songs off that album.

I learned an important lesson about karaoke strategy when a friend convinced me to go up as a duet to support her, and then hung me out to dry by getting stage fright and leaving me to be the only one singing audibly into the mike. So now it seemed like I was singing Celine Dion in that ironic annoying fashion, when it was her questionable taste that started the whole business.

Surely the whole point of karaoke is having a laugh and being drunk. On Friday night some woman did Bring Me To Life and she sounded amazing, but the highlights were my reserved female boss doing Pretty Vacant, my gay Scottish ex-colleague doing Like a Prayer and me doing Hey Ya of course.

My first (and only) karaoke experience was singing Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar on Me with a bunch of people from Texas A&M. :|

I sang karaoke just once as well. Ages ago, when I worked in retail during college, my coworkers and I used to hang out at the same place most Friday and Saturday nights after work. After weeks of contemplating it, my buddy and I sang "To All The Girls I've Loved Before" as sung by Willy Nelson and Julio Iglesias. I did the Iglesias parts, trying to sing in his manner. I was not.....sober.....nor was I......non-atrocious. But we had fun.

Side note about this place we used to go to - they used to have 5 cent buffalo wings on Thursday nights. That didn't suck.

I'm sure I've said it before but me and a mate did Without Me one night. We'd never done it before but it was near-flawless. We traded lines and our transitions were smooth as fuck.

Back
Top Bottom