Q Magazine snippets - now Consolidated (Pics added 12/29/08 & 1/1/09)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
generally concerning rock and more especialy U2, RTL2 is the best french radio(with DJ name ZEGUT)but not sure concerning monday!

HOPE!

What happened to that MacWorld rumor? Was that complete nonsense?

I think the rumor was that U2 would show up, announce the new single and perhaps some plans for that creative release method, and then obviously the radio stations would start firing.

Seemed like a good idea to me, but almost so good that it was probably completely made up. Anybody know?

What happened to that MacWorld rumor? Was that complete nonsense?

I think the rumor was that U2 would show up, announce the new single and perhaps some plans for that creative release method, and then obviously the radio stations would start firing.

Seemed like a good idea to me, but almost so good that it was probably completely made up. Anybody know?

It was fake.

That's too bad. Not a bad idea at all, and perfect timing. Guess we're left to wait for a random radio leak.

That is pretty much what they said and have said repeatedly so I don't get how you feel they dodged. What you don't seem to get is that U2 has never been big on defending themselves in the media. If they are comfortable with a decision then that's that. They gave their answer to this question ages ago and they are not going to get drawn in to rehashing it ad naseum. I can certainly respect that.

Dana

Yes but the thing is, Bono is now almost as well known for his poverty campaigning as he is for his music and this is something that to the vast majority of by-standers puts him in an extraordinarily hypocritical position. Before you say it - I know Ireland is not a 3rd world country but, as they freely admit, Ireland has given them a lot over the years and now they are dodging their tax responsibilities to their country.

I had this same argument (albeit with me sticking up for Bono) with my dad over the christmas period. Now he has always been a casual U2 fan, but he said Bono and the band's actions as far as the tax issue is concerned was insulting.

Don't get me wrong, I support the band for their decision to move tax bases if its the right business sense, but for gods sake - Bono at least should be prepared to be more vocal and coherent with regard to that decision instead of just brushing it off, before he goes talking to leaders of other countries about where they spend their nation's tax. I think we could all agree that the tax issue has been a very negative press hook that will have damaged the band in quite a number of people's minds. All I am saying is that I believe this issue demanded a little bit more clever PR.

There are also some very good scans here and it includes the entire article, all in one spot, clickable to full readable size. (click them twice)

U2 Scans

Yes but the thing is, Bono is now almost as well known for his poverty campaigning as he is for his music and this is something that to the vast majority of by-standers puts him in an extraordinarily hypocritical position. Before you say it - I know Ireland is not a 3rd world country but, as they freely admit, Ireland has given them a lot over the years and now they are dodging their tax responsibilities to their country.

I had this same argument (albeit with me sticking up for Bono) with my dad over the christmas period. Now he has always been a casual U2 fan, but he said Bono and the band's actions as far as the tax issue is concerned was insulting.

Don't get me wrong, I support the band for their decision to move tax bases if its the right business sense, but for gods sake - Bono at least should be prepared to be more vocal and coherent with regard to that decision instead of just brushing it off, before he goes talking to leaders of other countries about where they spend their nation's tax. I think we could all agree that the tax issue has been a very negative press hook that will have damaged the band in quite a number of people's minds. All I am saying is that I believe this issue demanded a little bit more clever PR.

You don't seem to understand Bono's and U2's philosophy towards negative press in general. They have been pretty consistant throughout their career to specifically not get into the whole "defending themselves" cycle. It is a trap that most famous people fall in to. On this specific issue the only true defense would be to give a laundry list of all the money they donate, charitable acts, etc. This is against their religious beliefs. Bono discussed this in a Music Express interview with Dave Fanning. They believe that as the Bible says "the left hand should not know what the right hand is doing". In other words charity is private. Bono also stated in that interview that in their eyes the minute you talk about it, it becomes advertising. Most of their known charitable acts are outed by others, often after the fact. The only times that U2 actually announce anything they are doing in that respect is when it would serve the cause. Like when they announced their contributions before Live Eight. If you do a little digging you will find that there are many things that they do that are not widely publicized. I actually find it more admirable that they don't defend themselves by trotting out a laundy list of good deeds because it is much more difficult to take the hits and ignore them.

If it actually causes any problems with the people he works with he can and I'm pretty sure would defend himself to them on a one on one basis. I don't recall ever hearing any indication that the government people had a problem. At least not those he actually works with. There is no need for him to get in to an endless debate in the press. It would actually be counter productive in that even more attention would be drawn to the issue. Very few of the Bono bashers present any kind of coherent arguement against him and usually show their ignorance of Bono in general.

The other thing about the tax issue is this idea that Ireland has some specific right to all that money. The economic boom in Ireland was substantially fueled by offering tax incentives to businesses that located in Ireland. It is pretty lame to then cry that it is unfair for a business to take advantage of a tax benefit elsewhere. Regardless of Bono's poverty work, U2's income is not Bono's alone so to expect the rest of them to make a poor business decision because it might make Bono look bad is a bit ridiculous. That's not even taking into account that the money is earned all over the world. The thing that I find most annoying is that the bashers never seem to even have the correct facts on the issue. They act as if U2 pays no tax whatsoever and that is simply not true. The only thing they moved was the publishing which had been tax exempt before so they didn't take any money away from Ireland they just denied them a windfall. And personally if they had simply said okey dokey to going from zero to 42% tax rate I'd have thought they were all idiots. That would have also damaged the band in some peoples eyes as they would then appear to be stupid.

Dana

You don't seem to understand Bono's and U2's philosophy towards negative press in general. They have been pretty consistant throughout their career to specifically not get into the whole "defending themselves" cycle. It is a trap that most famous people fall in to. On this specific issue the only true defense would be to give a laundry list of all the money they donate, charitable acts, etc. This is against their religious beliefs. Bono discussed this in a Music Express interview with Dave Fanning. They believe that as the Bible says "the left hand should not know what the right hand is doing". In other words charity is private. Bono also stated in that interview that in their eyes the minute you talk about it, it becomes advertising. Most of their known charitable acts are outed by others, often after the fact. The only times that U2 actually announce anything they are doing in that respect is when it would serve the cause. Like when they announced their contributions before Live Eight. If you do a little digging you will find that there are many things that they do that are not widely publicized. I actually find it more admirable that they don't defend themselves by trotting out a laundy list of good deeds because it is much more difficult to take the hits and ignore them.

If it actually causes any problems with the people he works with he can and I'm pretty sure would defend himself to them on a one on one basis. I don't recall ever hearing any indication that the government people had a problem. At least not those he actually works with. There is no need for him to get in to an endless debate in the press. It would actually be counter productive in that even more attention would be drawn to the issue. Very few of the Bono bashers present any kind of coherent arguement against him and usually show their ignorance of Bono in general.

The other thing about the tax issue is this idea that Ireland has some specific right to all that money. The economic boom in Ireland was substantially fueled by offering tax incentives to businesses that located in Ireland. It is pretty lame to then cry that it is unfair for a business to take advantage of a tax benefit elsewhere. Regardless of Bono's poverty work, U2's income is not Bono's alone so to expect the rest of them to make a poor business decision because it might make Bono look bad is a bit ridiculous. That's not even taking into account that the money is earned all over the world. The thing that I find most annoying is that the bashers never seem to even have the correct facts on the issue. They act as if U2 pays no tax whatsoever and that is simply not true. The only thing they moved was the publishing which had been tax exempt before so they didn't take any money away from Ireland they just denied them a windfall. And personally if they had simply said okey dokey to going from zero to 42% tax rate I'd have thought they were all idiots. That would have also damaged the band in some peoples eyes as they would then appear to be stupid.

Dana

Well, thing is I do understand and respect their stance and opinion on charity and privacy and I wouldn't want that any other way. The idea of them coming out and saying 'look at us, look how much money we give' is just nasty. (Although it might possibly make the cynics shut up a little bit).

Also, I did mention in my original post that I agreed with the idea of moving tax abroad since it made perfect business sense, however, my main concern was the way in which it was handled quite badly - Bono is one of the most eloquent celebrities the vast majority of the time, its just a pity he couldn't be a tad more eloquent in approaching this issue, which has tarnished the band in a number of people's eyes (unfortunately the vast majority don't know or want to know the deep facts of the issue, they only know what the press has them believe on it).

Not to engage in a 'debating row' with the press as you put it, just to not brush it off like in the Q article by saying 'yes but i've always said i'm a sinner, blah blah' with the same old cliches.

If he'd approached it and justified it in pretty much the same way you did very well then it could be swept under the carpet and left alone; all I'm saying is that a little bit of PR on the issue would have been great.

Yeah, I think it's hard to adequately defend yourself concisely with that issue without coming out looking bad one way or another. I think he did the best he could have, more or less.

I just read the scans of Q last night.

Only thing "concerning" to me is kind of a lack of direction for this album. It started out one way, became something else, and now in the final few weeks, it's turning again.

Larry saying it's their best music makes me feel good....but one has to wonder if the band still doens't have any confidence in what they're tyring to do.

On the other hand, every U2 album has been done this way, with the article even stating that Zoo Station was recorded in the final 3 days of AB, and it was the most perfect opener ever for that album.

I'm very pumped for more novelistic writing from Bono. I was not a fan of the direct approach on the past 2 albums.

Information is starting to get out (Q, and now Rolling Stone). It'll probably be another week or two (naturally when I'm in Hawaii for vacation) when we hear the single...and we start hearing reviews of the album.

Only thing "concerning" to me is kind of a lack of direction for this album. It started out one way, became something else, and now in the final few weeks, it's turning again.

Larry saying it's their best music makes me feel good....but one has to wonder if the band still doens't have any confidence in what they're tyring to do.

On the other hand, every U2 album has been done this way, with the article even stating that Zoo Station was recorded in the final 3 days of AB, and it was the most perfect opener ever for that album.

I'm very pumped for more novelistic writing from Bono. I was not a fan of the direct approach on the past 2 albums.

Information is starting to get out (Q, and now Rolling Stone). It'll probably be another week or two (naturally when I'm in Hawaii for vacation) when we hear the single...and we start hearing reviews of the album.

:up: Great observations. I experience a similar bit of trepidation, for the same reasons you describe above. But overall, I am very optimistic for NLOTH.

I think you successfully addressed your concerns from the top half of your post, in the bottom half.

Many works of art start out with "no direction". Sometimes it's better to just let it flow, wherever it may take you. The dynamics can be very inspiring. I wouldn't be too concerned by that. It's interesting, though, how rapidly some songs seem to have changed. I don't know how other musicians are working, therefore I got no real comparison. But I think, U2 usually work like that.

Hmm, i'm starting to think if they've really changed direction or not... :|

Its ok Vlad - listen to Unknown Caller beach clip, and tell me you still feel that way!

Unknown Caller sounds like Walk On.

Not that I have a problem with that, I think it's their best song in the past 10 or so years....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom