Pleba Girls Party-We don't mind a bit of crooked Bono.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One last comment on religion before we go back to our regularly scheduled program... :D

I think, while I will not wander from my Christian belief personally, I think that it's very possible that Many of the world religions are different because of cultural reasons and communications (Tower of Babel) and there are a lot of similarities. In my heart, I have the hope that this is just one of the many things we don't/can't understand just yet about God.
Just a thought, of course, nothing I would swear too

:hug: thanks guys I know it's a personal and sometimes difficult subject

Russty Cat said:

I can see where your coming from. Miracles are a huge thing in life. But mystical stuff and auras going against sciences and logic isn't always true. I guess it just depends on whose logic and reasoning you are looking at it from. In some societies mystical things are the norm, because of the culture and the way people have been brought up to view them. Just food for thought.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not trying to debate, I just think it's refreshing to hear the ideas and opinions of others...but there generally are very logical, empirical explanations for much of the mystical phenomenon out there...it just bodes better for many religions to keep people in awe, and believing in it.

VintagePunk said:

Yay!!! Another one of me. :wink:

In all seriousness though, as I said in my e-mail, I've done a fair bit of reading about the subject over the past few years, and that comes closest, by far, to expressing what I believe in.

And if there were an afternoon church, I'd join, dammit. :wink:

:giggle:
Gonna get yourself a cult? :tongue:

Actually, that link you sent me, was very interesting, intriguing. I gotta agree that it seems, from what I read, to go along with how I feel ...

Sad_Girl said:

Well Said :applaud: And I agree with not messing with things which we don't understand. If we could handle it, God would've let us in on it :lol:

That is totally how I feel. I've seen a lot of pain and death in my life. I've seen people change after many years of letting demons and crap rule their life. Its an amazing thing how they can get a foot hold and just become so invested in your life, completely shutting God out.

I've always had problems with religion and have struggled for many years. I don't think I'll ever really have it all figured out. But I learned one thing in my life, that changed me forever, holding someone as they die, taking their very last breath and seeing an utter sense of peace on their face. Someone who was in pain for so many years all of the sudden literally just letting it all go. I knew in that moment there were angels and definetly a God.

I don't think God is a man or a woman like us. He is a being so above what we could ever become. To send your only Son to earth to die a horrible death for our sins is just uncomprehensible to me. To do that God has to be a being unlike any other.

dazzledbylight said:

spoken in an interview, or as done a snippet of "Instant Karma" coversong ?

i have a non-u2 cover of IK by "the Oils" done in front of the NYC exxons bulding.... very cool job by peter garret & the oilers.....

When he says it in speeches.

And speaking of B :wink: , I would love to hear him sing "Amazing Grace." Although no one's version will ever match Whitley Phipps' version, I think B make a lovely effort.

Really, I'd love to see U2 pull a Passenger's type move and record an album of more traditional Irish music. His voice was built for it, and Larry could play all the drums he wanted. :wink:

VintagePunk said:

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not trying to debate, I just think it's refreshing to hear the ideas and opinions of others...but there generally are very logical, empirical explanations for much of the mystical phenomenon out there...it just bodes better for many religions to keep people in awe, and believing in it.

I do agree with you on that. There are lots of places and people that worship animals and things, claiming many strange things. And if the people that followed them used some common sense they would realize alot of it is just hype and rubbish.

I really love that we can all talk about this like adults, no fighting no trying to out do one another, just conversation for informations and learnings sake. Its so bloody refreshing! :hug: :heart:

~BrightestStar~ said:

:giggle:
Gonna get yourself a cult? :tongue:

Actually, that link you sent me, was very interesting, intriguing. I gotta agree that it seems, from what I read, to go along with how I feel ...

Yes, I'd like to join the cult whose basis is religous tolerance and activism! :happy: :lmao:

It's the whole morning thing that's stopping me. :angry: If it weren't for that....

Most religions have some sort of mention that to not beleive in their religion (the "right" religion), means that you are damned(to hell whatever), Most also say you can only beleive in one (their) religion. Thus, if "every" religon says that if you're not with them, you;re damned, and if every person can only have one, doesn't that mean we're all screwed?

:reject: :silent:

Ummm....and things like this is why a nun somewhere has a grudge against me.....

Last edited:
Russty Cat said:

That is totally how I feel. I've seen a lot of pain and death in my life. I've seen people change after many years of letting demons and crap rule their life. Its an amazing thing how they can get a foot hold and just become so invested in your life, completely shutting God out.

I've always had problems with religion and have struggled for many years. I don't think I'll ever really have it all figured out. But I learned one thing in my life, that changed me forever, holding someone as they die, taking their very last breath and seeing an utter sense of peace on their face. Someone who was in pain for so many years all of the sudden literally just letting it all go. I knew in that moment there were angels and definetly a God.

I don't think God is a man or a woman like us. He is a being so above what we could ever become. To send your only Son to earth to die a horrible death for our sins is just uncomprehensible to me. To do that God has to be a being unlike any other.

:yes: :hug:

VintagePunk said:

Yes, I'd like to join the cult whose basis is religous tolerance and activism! :happy: :lmao:

It's the whole morning thing that's stopping me. :angry: If it weren't for that....

That's my kinda Cult :rockon:
:laugh:

Darned mornings...:madspit:

Ever see the Simpsons episode where Homer stops going to church? :lol:

Ok...and as an afterthought, I'm now gonna edit my last post before I get beaten with a stick.......:uhoh:

Elessarian said:

When he says it in speeches.

And speaking of B :wink: , I would love to hear him sing "Amazing Grace." Although no one's version will ever match Whitley Phipps' version, I think B make a lovely effort.

Really, I'd love to see U2 pull a Passenger's type move and record an album of more traditional Irish music. His voice was built for it, and Larry could play all the drums he wanted. :wink:

I would totally love a more traditional album. I think Bonos voice would be excellent for that as well as it would be cool to have a fiddle or other instruments thrown in.

Oh wow, this is a different discussion. Hmmm, just recently I decided that maybe God does know best and all. Best thing I've decided for awhile although I really don't have any idea what he's up to because the answers that I think he is giving me are bloody confusing.

Bah to having a pea sized brain that can't understand God's plan.

~BrightestStar~ said:
Most religions have some sort of mention that to not beleive in their religion (the "right" religion), means that you are damned(to hell whatever), Most also say you can only beleive in one (their) religion. Thus, if "every" religon says that if you're not with them, you;re damned, and if every person can only have one, doesn't that mean we're all screwed?

Ummm....and things like this is why a nun yelled at me.....

God is not religion.

Religion is flawed. It's a human construct, and has been twisted and misused. (This MAY be why I didn't end up at the seminary when I was considering it :lol: )

though we have to learn from our history and each other about God, you always have to keep that in mind. People tend to screw things up. But God loves us anyway. :heart:

I've had tons of trouble at the church my parents go to, because it's run like a business. One christmas we almost didn't even light candles because they didn't want to get wax on the new carpetting. :mad:

~BrightestStar~ said:

See, this is why you need to become a Universal Unitarian with me. :wink: There are people of every faith that are members...they learn about each other's religions in an open, tolerant setting.

Geez, I DO sound like I'm recruiting, dont I?? and I've never even been to one, myself. :lmao:

~BrightestStar~ said:

Nah....don't be afraid to say anything!!! That's what makes this place so nice. Anyway, we're all PLEBAns here, right? And I know we've got tons more in common than just that as well. Don't worry, no one's gonna offend me....even if I am *supposed* to be the Scary Gun-Toting Uber-Conservative Tight-Ass Southerner. (*alleged* to be, not actually am :wink: ...eh, not totally :shifty: )

:hug: 's and drinks for everyone!

Thanks you guys. I think another group hug is in order.

6.gif

I agree with Russty and Eless, it's very nice to be able to talk about this rationally and calmly, openly and without getting offended. I love this place more every day :heart:

Hi Liesa, by the way. Glad you weren't intimidated by our existential discussion :lol:

Okay...this Universal Unitarianism thing...I keep going on about it, but it's the first thing I've read in a loooong time that made SENSE. Here is a brief description of their beliefs...it's essentially how I've always tried to live my life (not that I've always been successful..)...but if I were ever going to become a "joiner" it'd be something like this:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/u-u2.htm

And, this is an excellent site overall, for info about religions...very factual...they're not affiliated with any particular religion. I give it two thumbs up. :up: :up:

http://www.religioustolerance.org

VintagePunk said:

See, this is why you need to become a Universal Unitarian with me. :wink: There are people of every faith that are members...they learn about each other's religions in an open, tolerant setting.

Geez, I DO sound like I'm recruiting, dont I?? and I've never even been to one, myself. :lmao:

:lmao:
Maybe you can set up your own evening sect?
Oh!
omg! Online meetings :lol: We can do that :wink:

You've been brainwashed!
OMG! By a bunch of tolerent people who want to help people!
THE HORROR!
:wink: :hug:

~BrightestStar~ said:
So much for editing my post in time......:sigh:

It was a great comment; very much something which concerns a lot of people.
I :heart: talking about this stuff with you :flirt:

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled...

dub2100_1045.jpg

Russty Cat said:

I do agree with you on that. There are lots of places and people that worship animals and things, claiming many strange things. And if the people that followed them used some common sense they would realize alot of it is just hype and rubbish.

I really love that we can all talk about this like adults, no fighting no trying to out do one another, just conversation for informations and learnings sake. Its so bloody refreshing! :hug: :heart:

I do too. :hug: That's the problem with the world...people generally aren't willing to listen, and be respectful of each other, despite differing beliefs. :sad: And it's a shame, because there's a lot to be learned.

You girls seem very wise and since we seem to be talking about all sorts of religious and serious things, so mind if i have a rant/advice seeking session?

Ok, well, after I got dumped by my boyfriend who I still love with my whole heart. (Go figure.) I asked God to help me get over him, so I could find who I was meant for. Now I was totally ready to hear from God in some form go forth and be happy and wait for Mr. Right, but instead he keeps on sending all these bloody messages about waiting for Jeff. (ex-boyfriend)

What am I supposed to do? I'm totally confused and a bit irritated.

(I'm such a whiner, as you will all soon know, lol)

And congratualtions on reading all that inane babble that I typed. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom