Pleba Girls Party-lookin' for some mother suckin rock and roll!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VintagePunk said:
I know I've said this before, but Larry in this video? :combust:

Adam too, actually. :drool:

But poor Adam. I keep thinking of the night before and want to give him a hug.

:yes: they all look good there, don't they? And I know how you feel about Adam :sad: You just want to cuddle him and tell him it's gonna be ok, and how proud you are of him for getting back up on stage already... :shifty:

:D

Hi Dis! :wave:

Sad_Girl said:
Hi Drea :wave: how are you tonight?

Is it Friday yet? :lol: I'm glad there's an Elevation show tomorrow night, I've needed live music for a couple weeks now! :wink: I'm REALLY looking forward to the 11th, because I HAVE IT OFF!! :dancing: :hyper:

SG, can I pick your brain for a sec re: symbolism and metaphors in literature? Sarah and I are having this huge discussion, and we wish you were here. :lol:

Or should I PM you so as not to clog up the thread with our silliness? :reject:

Hiya Drea, Dis, night Jem :hug:

We're also discussing Larry's hair, comparing and contrasting from this video, to now, to the day we met him. I literally paused the video so we could examine Larry's hair.

We're odd. :reject: :lmao:

FlyYourKite said:

In happier news though, I got new liquid soap today called Vanilla Brown Sugar. :drool: My hands have never smelt so good!

*g* We have that in the bathroom at work, it's nice :) And considering how often we wash our hands (every time we come out for break or lunch), nice is good :lol:

sorry girls :reject:

I was reading SG's fic (amazing SG, as usual) :drool:

then the other singer in my life :shifty: was on Entertainment Tonight :drool: :combust:

(Lisa Marie Presley :lol: )

now The O.C. is on :hyper: :drool:

be back on a commercial or something!! :lol:

night Wild and Jem :hug:

VintagePunk said:
SG, can I pick your brain for a sec re: symbolism and metaphors in literature? Sarah and I are having this huge discussion, and we wish you were here. :lol:

Or should I PM you so as not to clog up the thread with our silliness? :reject:

Hiya Drea, Dis, night Jem :hug:

I don't mind discussing it here, unless the others have a problem with it. We've talked about literature and about a million other topics here before! :lol:

Wow! :drool: He has such unique eyes!

EdgeEyes.jpg

:lol:

Okay, here goes. Sarah has just joined a book discussion group, and her first novel is Canadian - in it, a kid's parents were killed in a collision with a logging truck. We were laughing about how stereotypically Canadian that is, and she said that would be one of her criticisms of the book when the group meets. That led into a discussion of how Canadian writers looking for legitimacy try to distinguish themselves from Americans. Canadians in all forms of art seem to have this inferiority complex, and strive to make themselves distinct. I took a Canadian Studies course as an elective a few years ago that focused on this very issue.

Then this segued into a discussion of symbolism in literature, in general. You know how high school teachers beat you over the head with discussions of symbolism? Sarah is VERY intellectual, and a writer herself, and she says that symbolism in literature flies right over her head. What she enjoys is a good story with a good plot, believable characters, etc. She is of the belief, and I tend to agree with her, that teachers, profs and literary critics who come up with this symbolism are searching for something that wasn't necessarily intended, in many cases...that authors do not consciously plot out stories filled with symbolism and metaphors, and that most of this is probably discovered by pretentious prats after the fact, and that the authors probably just agree that this was their intent all along. :lol:

Do you intentionally insert symbolism into your stories? Do you agree? Disagree?

Maybe we just have really lowbrow tastes. :lol: That's why, as we've discussed, I adore Stephen King. Great stories, no pretention. :heart:

Sarah brought up the fact that King has stated that when he first wrote Carrie, he went back and reread it, and noticed that there seemed to be a blood theme running through the story, and that on subsequent edits, he brought that out a bit more. But on the initial writing, it wasn't planned. That approach makes most sense to me.

I've killed the thread. I knew I would. :sad:

:lmao:

This thread isn't just for drooling, you know. :shame: :wink:

And now would be a good time for lurkers to pop in....just to prove I'm not a brainless hussy. :wink:

:wave:

Hi VP/SG/sami/Fly!!!!!! :hug:s

just here for about 9 mins.....

I HATED "english" in HS because we were reading all these Americanclassic books and all the students {'cept me- it certainly FELT like it ] could go on about various levels of symbolism in a book and I'd be just like :huh: :huh: !!!!!!

on the other hand....i think there ARE writers who Definatley , deliberately use symbolism and others who dont. Stillothers may do it unconciously.

:lol: VP

I'd say something but I don't really know anything about writing

but I personally agree that the symbolism is probably an unconscious thing when the writer is writing...I guess sometimes it can be on purpose though!! :huh: :lol:

VintagePunk said:
:lol:
She is of the belief, and I tend to agree with her, that teachers, profs and literary critics who come up with this symbolism are searching for something that wasn't necessarily intended, in many cases...that authors do not consciously plot out stories filled with symbolism and metaphors, and that most of this is probably discovered by pretentious prats after the fact, and that the authors probably just agree that this was their intent all along. :lol:

Do you intentionally insert symbolism into your stories? Do you agree? Disagree?

I think that a LOT of the symbolism people find in stories is unintentional. That is if it exists at all and is not something the critic/teacher/whatever is inventing for their own enjoyment/understanding of the book.

Unintentional Symbolism: JRR Tolkien lived in troubled world, a world at war. A lot of people think 'The Lord Of The Rings' is all symbolic of 'the great war', aka World War one. Tolkein himself denied this vehemently, saying the story is completely meant to be a fantasy/folklore story with no real world political symbolism.

I believe that he didn't intend it. I also think that the times he lived in affected what he wrote. So, that is why there are things within the stories which are interpreted as symbolism.

Personally? I do intentionally use some symbolism and metaphore, but sparsely. If I'm going to use it, it's not something people will be arguing over; it's going to be fairly obvious. Symbolism, used like that, can add depth to a story. You can take a story and look at it from different angles and at different levels and see something new, like a kaledescope.

That said... most subtle symbolism, in my opinion, is in the mind of the reader. Critics and teachers take their interpretations and then try and convince (sometimes to force) others to see things the same way they do.

VintagePunk said:

Sami, I loved the first season of OC, but then it got insane. I watched maybe 4 or 5 episodes last season...none this season. :|

:yes: it's so insane right now!! I only watch because I've been watching for so long, and its ridiculousness is so addicting :drool: :reject:

plus I just might have an itty bitty crush on Seth :shh:

Back
Top Bottom