Philly Fans - What Are You Going to Do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The drive up the turnpike really isn't the issue, it's competing with all of NJ, NY, and PA to get tickets. I'm shooting for Giants Stadium this round, but if I don't get tickets, I'm not paying the inflated resale prices that will hit Ticketsnow and such.

But Giants Stadium, as someone pointed out in either this topic or another, can easily hold 75-80,000 people for a concert. And there will probably be a second show. I really don't think these stadium shows are going to sell out in minutes like the arena shows did in 2005. To me, the bigger problem will be the stability of the Live Nation, Ticketmaster, whatever websites on sale day. There may be tickets available, but if the websites keeps crapping out, you're screwed.

Totall agree. The true question is, "are there 75-80K people out there that I'll be competing with?" If Wachoiva can sell out 2 nights at 20k people each night and assuming no repeats, Philly has filled half the stadium. Where is the other half coming from? Ultimately do I care if Bono shouts hello NY? Not really. There is no way I can purchase resale tickets for a show, I can't justify that expense given these times.

But my biggest problem, personally, is that I'll be at college at Penn State, so it'll take me a three to four hour bus ride to get back to the area, and then I'd have to find another piece of public transportation to get to a show in ER or DC.

That's sort of the same problem I have. Assuming I'm still working here in the fall (which is up in the air right now), Philadelphia is the closest city to me at four hours away. New York is five hours (on a good day) and that's about what Toronto is, and Boston and DC are both six.

It's not just the people who live in Philadelphia (or Seattle, or the Bay Area, or other major markets the band is skipping) who are potentially missing out.

:lol:I was listening to wmmr here in philly and they said that it is a conflict with the linc and that U2 will be returning 2 the usa in june and july of 2010 and they will be playing in philly then.

I don't mind the travel to either Giants Stadium or even DC to an extent...hopefully they will be here next summer sometime as well.

I also feel like even with resale tickets, there will be so many upper deck seats available that I cant see those going for too far over face value once we get closer to the performance dates.

:lol:I was listening to wmmr here in philly and they said that it is a conflict with the linc and that U2 will be returning 2 the usa in june and july of 2010 and they will be playing in philly then.

I knew it had something to do with that stadium. The Eagles screwed us over.

So some US territories aren't getting shows. Well try being in Europe where most countries get one city played (if that) and there is an almighty bun-fight just to get a ticket. Or how about Australia / Japan that might be skipped completely and certainly won't see the tour before the end of 2010if they get it at all. So it's a 2-3 hour trek - that is not a big ask. U2 tour once every 4 years or so, one day out of your life to travel is not much.

I don't mind traveling to see them, it just makes me mad that they were going to do a show here and to find out that the stadium and/or the football team is the reason why they aren't.

I knew it had something to do with that stadium. The Eagles screwed us over.

Wonder why it has to be Lincoln Financial Field? Are Frankiln Field or Citizens bank Park not an option. Actually, with the Phillies going to be playing on the World Series again in October:hyper: I guess the ballpark wouldnt be an option. Frankiln Field was pretty cool for Popmart though...

I agree, its not the Eagles fault U2 wants to play football stadiums during the start of the NFL season. Well, maybe its Terrell Owens fault, but not the Eagles.

They should have played Franklin Field or Hershey Park if they couldn't do the Linc.

The idea that the Eagles "screwed us over" is stupid.

Wonder why it has to be Lincoln Financial Field? Are Frankiln Field or Citizens bank Park not an option. Actually, with the Phillies going to be playing on the World Series again in October:hyper: I guess the ballpark wouldnt be an option. Frankiln Field was pretty cool for Popmart though...

Paul McG said something about baseball stadiums not being an option. They're not playing any baseball parks.

It's alot less than 3 hours to get from Philly to Northern NJ (where Giants Stadium is). I know I've done it in less than 2 hours and Map Quest says about 1 hour and 44 minutes from City Hall in Philly to Giants stadium.

And while it sucks there's no Philly show on this leg, Giants Stadium is not that far. They will get to Philly in 2010.:up:

That infers no traffic, but, yeah, I probably overestimated. I live 20 miles west of Philly, so it's longer for me. But I'll be at State College, which is far, especially when you're a freshmen and can't have a car up there. Plus, it's a weeknight show, and with that distance and planning ahead of time, it's much more difficult to work around than a show in Philly would be.

I wonder why Ball parks arent an option? I saw Buffet, and Bon Jovi at CBP and thought the park played well. Even Beaver Stadium would be great. They might not sell Beaver stadium out though.....although they would pull from the entire state...so maybe it would.

I'm hoping that they eventually add something in the Philly area. I don't mind traveling or driving to see the band but I just can't be too outrageous with where I end up going because I've got other life changes coming up I need to worry about financially so obviously the closer to where I am the better. I'm sure they'll add a PA date on soon enough. Patience has never been my strong suit though. :wink:

Hershey would've been terrific for me, since my parents live only about 15 minutes away. That stadium is tiny, though (maybe 30,000), so it makes sense that it wasn't an option. Frankly, I'm shocked Springsteen played there last summer and that he's coming back in May.

Are there ever concerts at Beaver Stadium? I know there are a lot of them at the Bryce Jordan Center, but I don't remember there ever being one at the stadium.

UPenn's Franklin Field could've been another option, especially since they played there for Popmart.

It's disappointing, but I'm not going to get all bent out of shape over it. At worst, it won't kill me to have to wait another year to see them.

Hershey would've been terrific for me, since my parents live only about 15 minutes away. That stadium is tiny, though (maybe 30,000), so it makes sense that it wasn't an option. Frankly, I'm shocked Springsteen played there last summer and that he's coming back in May.

Are there ever concerts at Beaver Stadium? I know there are a lot of them at the Bryce Jordan Center, but I don't remember there ever being one at the stadium.

UPenn's Franklin Field could've been another option, especially since they played there for Popmart.

It's disappointing, but I'm not going to get all bent out of shape over it. At worst, it won't kill me to have to wait another year to see them.

Fergie had the first Beaver Stadium concert last year.

I'm bent out of shape simply because Philly should be visited as frequently as any city in the country. They're treating it like it's Pittsburgh.

I really don't think it is the Eagle's fault. I'm just upset because we were going to get a show and needed someone to blame, so I choose them because it is their stadium.

Im confident they will play here eventualy. They wont snub th city all together. The crazy part is to realize it will be over a year from now before they get around to stoping by again. They wont play outdoors in the winter, and we are jsut entering spring now. 13, 14 , 15 months from now is wild. Patience isnt my virtue either:doh:

I think they will play here Summer 2010. It seems like they always have conflicts with our stadiums and if they play the Linc. in June/July 2010 then scheduling won't be a problem

Well, they've forced themselves to play Summer 2010.

But that's beside the point. Philly is way too big of a city to be skipped on ANY US leg. It's the fifth largest area of people in America.

Are you going to New York? Going to DC? Or are you like me and only could have gone to a show in Philly?

Seriously, I'm furious with U2. Not that it means shit, but this is fucking bullshit. Philly's the fifth biggest market in America! What the fuck?

It's real simple I love Philly but if you look at the dates between NY and DC
the Eagles are playing and since this tour can only be accomodated with football stadiums,I guess Philly is out for now...there was an article in the Baltimore Sun that said the Ravens owner was trying to lure the band to M&T Bank stadium
but because of a Ravens game and the dates...logistically it didn't work and they're playing Fed Ex Field in Landover,Maryland instead...think the same thing happened to Philly

Well, they've forced themselves to play Summer 2010.

But that's beside the point. Philly is way too big of a city to be skipped on ANY US leg. It's the fifth largest area of people in America.

Toronto was skipped until Leg 3 of Vertigo, and the only US metro areas that are larger are Chicago, LA and NYC.

:shrug:

It happens. They'll be back.

Toronto was skipped until Leg 3 of Vertigo, and the only US metro areas that are larger are Chicago, LA and NYC.

Yes, but Toronto is in Canada, not the US. Clearly the US is better than Canada, so Philly should get shows whenever U2 tours North America. I mean, duh. ;)

Which was absolutely absurd and should have never happened.

Which was absolutely absurd and should have never happened.

Absurd as it may be, it's a commonplace thing. Out of the nine previous U2 tours to hit North America, four of them have only hit Toronto on one leg, including the three most recent. JT, Popmart, and Vertigo didn't have Toronto shows until the third leg while Elevation only went there on the first. The Boy, UF, and ZooTV tours hit Toronto on both legs, War only had a single North American leg, and October skipped Toronto entirely.

As for the topic of this thread, the last time Philadelphia was omitted from the first leg was on the JT Tour. All subsequent tours have hit it on both legs except Popmart, which had just one first leg show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom