Peace on Earth - hit or miss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sniggirb

Refugee
This thread kind of stems from the "Elevation EP" thread. The debate is whether or not Peace On Earth is a good song.

"If you took a poll of everyone on Interference I'm fairly certain the majority would say they didn't like the song that much."
-namkcuR

I'm taking up that challenge so lets see what happens....

A hit. As I said in the other thread, this song brings me to tears every time I listen to it. When a song has that kind of power over me, I don't want to give it up.

The line, "She never got to say good-bye" is what really resonates with me. It's not a child in my life, but there is someone who I never got to say good-bye to. And to me that is the theme of the song. That life is fragile, and it can be taken away in a heartbeat, without warning.

Great song!, a hit definetely
i love it, brought me to tears more than once

"Heaven on earth we need it now"

I've always liked Peace On Earth despite the seemingly cliched formula it uses. I think Becky's interpretation is spot on! :up:

miss becky said:
song brings me to tears every time I listen to it

(notice that I didn't quote 'this song'... it's not about POE)
:eyebrow: how is it possible to cry because of the song? ... and do it every time listening to it?:huh:
----------

POE... hit or miss? I would say it's something in between (if that's a possible answer).
Nothing special (like the rest of ATYCLB), but I can name 6 other songs from that album that are worse... well, looking at the quality of ATYCLB it's not a compliment to that song... but...:|

But I can see people are taking the question from a diferent point of view.

So my vote goes to: "I don't like it"
~3 years since I last played it...
----------
Peace On Earth.
I wander what this song is about BTW?:p :rolleyes:

There is no crescendo in the song, the music starts off sweet and drags along. It doesn't progress, IMO.

The lyrics are good in parts, seemingly being a nice narrative, but get clumsy, like a lot of Bono's lyrics the last five years. I don't expect perfect lyrics anyways, I do like the idea behind the song, but the music really just lets me down on this one.

The song Yahweh reminds me of this song. Good ideas, starts off promising, and just ......doesn't go anywhere.

Basically what I am saying is, that this is a B-side. And if it weren't for the poltical content of the song, and the meanings to it, Omagh bombing and such, this song would have never made the cut of a U2 album because the song itself is subpar.

Where I grew up
There weren't many trees
Where there was we tore them down
And used them for paper on which we could write better rhymes than this drivel.

Last edited:
bathiu said:

:eyebrow: how is it possible to cry because of the song? ... and do it every time listening to it?:huh:

Did you even read the rest of my post? The song has a personal meaning for me. That's why I cry when I listen to it.

It's not a classic but it's a good song and a nice listen.

Thing is I think ATYCLB needed a song with a bit more "oomph" slotted in at track 8.

It doesn't sound good wedged between WILATW and Wild Honey

Miss. I think i've listened to it once in two years. It just makes me cringe.
However, I adore 'Wild Honey', and I know a lot of people on her dislike it.

intedomine said:
It's not a classic but it's a good song and a nice listen.

Thing is I think ATYCLB needed a song with a bit more "oomph" slotted in at track 8.

It doesn't sound good wedged between WILATW and Wild Honey

In other threads about ATYCLB I've said the same thing. I think ATYCLB suffered not because of its track order.

MsMofoGone said:
I love this lyric ...

"Jesus could you take the time .. to throw a drowning man a line."

That is all I like from the song, that one lyric. Everything else is pretty crappy. It just sounds like U2/Bono is trying to hard to make a political ballad.

bathiu said:

----------

Read the post you quoted by miss becky again, I think she explained very clearly how it is possible. Your reply was a little insensitive and inappropriate. :slant:

Last edited:
to miss becky, I apologise... but...
to miss becky & neutral, it wasn't about POE, it was not a question for miss becky... just a general question...

bathiu said:

Back
Top Bottom