Ordinary Love Discussion (Part 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So this morning I got an email from U2.com that "Ordinary Love" "MIGHT" be played and he idea is to have the crowd be the chorus.

FFS....this is the Joshua Tree Tour 2017....Ordinary Love is an incredibly average song that when played does almost nothing to the crowd or atmosphere. It's filler!

I really hope they don't waste a song slot on this song for this tour. I would rather they play any song from SOI over OL.

It's not a bad song...it's just a very average, mediocre dare I say...ordinary song.

Agree.
The song didn't go over all that well in arenas, it'll be a beer/bathroom break song in stadia.
Another mind boggling decision.
Out of 60,000 folks, they'll be lucky to get 6,000 who know the chorus to the song.

Wait, what?! They just sent out an email saying we might play this song, and we might ask you to sing? So learn it?!

Yes and if you have to ask people to learn it, chances are it isn't a crowd pleaser. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yes and if you have to ask people to learn it, chances are it isn't a crowd pleaser. Lol

Weird.

Weird choice.

Weird that they would send such an email.

Weird that I didn't get it, I usually get U2.com emails.

Was there anything else to the email?

Weird.

Weird choice.

Weird that they would send such an email.

Weird that I didn't get it, I usually get U2.com emails.

Was there anything else to the email?

Here is the full email:

U2

#U2TheJoshuaTree2017

NEWS TOUR MUSIC SHOP

We can't fall any further if,
we can't feel ordinary love.
And we cannot reach any higher,
if we can't deal with ordinary love…'

The chorus to Ordinary Love and one of the songs that might - MIGHT - turn up in the new show.

In fact, the word from Show Director Willie Williams is that there’s an idea to feature you all singing the chorus of Ordinary Love on The Joshua Tree Tour 2017.

Singing it in ordinary situations: walking the dog, on the treadmill, at the supermarket, doing the ironing, baking a cake, driving the car, in the shower…

It’s early days and the idea might not make the cut…. but you could make the difference.

Can you see yourself on screen at the show ? In the chorus, backing the band as they play Ordinary Love?

If you can, please get it our way by MAY 1ST.

Details Here

facebooktwitterinstagram

youtubegoogle+tumbler

This email is sent from
Live Nation Entertainment
450 Mission Street, Ste. 300
SFCA 94105

You are receiving this email because you opted into the U2.com email list.
If you would like to stop receiving emails from us, please click here to unsubscribe.

Ordinary Love was their most popular song since How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

Let that sink in, haters.

True but that just speaks to other issues.

I'm still amazed at the amount of views it has on YouTube BUT that is likely driven to a large extent by the exposure U2 gave the song (Fallon opening night, Oscars and I want to say it was performed on TV one other time possibly).

I'm going to say it....I find Song for Someone to be a far more enjoyable song than OL!

Typically they plan tours well in advance, as much as two years out. It's obvious that this tour was conceived relatively recently, and this morning's email is further proof (to me, anyway) that they're still trying to put all of the pieces together. And the tour starts in 3 weeks! I'm glad I'm going at the end of the North American leg and not the beginning.

True but that just speaks to other issues.

I'm still amazed at the amount of views it has on YouTube BUT that is likely driven to a large extent by the exposure U2 gave the song (Fallon opening night, Oscars and I want to say it was performed on TV one other time possibly).

I'm going to say it....I find Song for Someone to be a far more enjoyable song than OL!

crazily enough, maybe a lot of people liked it. i know, right! couldn't be!

Here is the full email:

U2

#U2TheJoshuaTree2017

NEWS TOUR MUSIC SHOP

We can't fall any further if,
we can't feel ordinary love.
And we cannot reach any higher,
if we can't deal with ordinary love…'

The chorus to Ordinary Love and one of the songs that might - MIGHT - turn up in the new show.

In fact, the word from Show Director Willie Williams is that there’s an idea to feature you all singing the chorus of Ordinary Love on The Joshua Tree Tour 2017.

Singing it in ordinary situations: walking the dog, on the treadmill, at the supermarket, doing the ironing, baking a cake, driving the car, in the shower…

It’s early days and the idea might not make the cut…. but you could make the difference.

Can you see yourself on screen at the show ? In the chorus, backing the band as they play Ordinary Love?

If you can, please get it our way by MAY 1ST.

Details Here

facebooktwitterinstagram

youtubegoogle+tumbler

This email is sent from
Live Nation Entertainment
450 Mission Street, Ste. 300
SFCA 94105

You are receiving this email because you opted into the U2.com email list.
If you would like to stop receiving emails from us, please click here to unsubscribe.

Ok, you left a big part out, the video. Email makes a little more sense now.

But ten people on Interference talk about how much they hate it... that represents a consensus of people not on the forum, right? Right??

"But ten people on Interference talk about how they like it, so that represents a consensus not on the forum, right? Right??"

See how that works, it's all opinions and I don't think anyone here spoke in absolutes in the context of "people don't like this song". looking at actual performance is the best indicator of how it was received but you need to take into consideration HOW it achieved that performance too.

Otherwise you will have people who claim Boots was better received than Elevation/Walk On or Stuck in a Moment because it charted higher.

Ok, you left a big part out, the video. Email makes a little more sense now.

Fair enough but my main point was not to feature it in the show at all....video or no video.

crazily enough, maybe a lot of people liked it. i know, right! couldn't be!

Of course people liked it but the context of my post was around the YouTube views count being 30 million(higher than most of their classic hits) and it likely being inflated due to very high profile exposure, that's all. If tomorrow they go on a high profile show and play Boots, you can bet there will be an increase in views of that video just from that performance (eye liner sales will also increase).

Eh, I'm fine with it. I'm not thrilled, but I'm not annoyed, either.

I will, however, be fine with it if they ditch this video idea. Didn't they do something similar for Unknown Caller for some early 360 shows, and then dropped the videos?

Last edited:
They've tried a variation of this a few times; tttyaatw, uc, I remember something with tribute bands and ebttrt, SFS video.

All we can conclude is that the band is tired of Bono singing.

#nooneonboard

Of course people liked it but the context of my post was around the YouTube views count being 30 million(higher than most of their classic hits) and it likely being inflated due to very high profile exposure, that's all. If tomorrow they go on a high profile show and play Boots, you can bet there will be an increase in views of that video just from that performance (eye liner sales will also increase).

they did play boots on high profile shows, and youtube did exist then. it didn't get a bump because the song is trash.

I was reminded a few weeks ago that YouTube has only been around since 2004. Either it feels like it's been around a lot longer, or 2004 is a reaaaaaaaally long time ago.

I can't tell which.

It's a U2 concert so I'll have a blast - even if they play Ordinary Love and not Stuck in a Moment or whatever. I'm reasonably certain they'll play Exit, IGC, OTH and all the rest of The Joshua Tree. It's pretty hard to complain.

Sarcasm. I'm trying to point out that the presence of Ordinary Love can't possibly poison the set list for this tour. That remark was me being funny. I'm a veritable barrel 'o monkeys.

It's U2, that setlist is built on sand. Trust me, by the end of the tour it'll be more of a Pop anniversary thing and side two of The Joshua Tree will be out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom