Ordinary Love Discussion (Part 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i've decided, the only thing i like about the Epworth version is the nice heavy bass, but other than that it's a bit meh, and a bit too X-Factor-y for me, and i really don't like how it's structured - doesn't flow nicely at all with that beginning... the DM version is really beautiful and subtle and gentle, contemplative - i love that one the more i listen to it

i've decided, the only thing i like about the Epworth version is the nice heavy bass, but other than that it's a bit meh, and a bit too X-Factor-y for me, and i really don't like how it's structured - doesn't flow nicely at all with that beginning... the DM version is really beautiful and subtle and gentle, contemplative - i love that one the more i listen to it

Yup, it's the DM version all the way for me. The Epworth and Interscope mixes are quite poor in comparison.

Yeah just seen that. So given it was for the Oscars, 11 days (almost 2 weeks) passed before resulting on the chart. That's how the Billboard chart work.

The movie credits version, mix wise, is just the soundtrack album version but with a different ending: Bono's falsetto instead of the chorus repetition and no fade out.

The Interscope promo version has different mix (maybe also different additional tweaking in production), different speed and even a moment when the drums stop and Edge, Larry and DM do the backing chorus + Bono's falsetto + clearer ending. This is what leads me thinking it may appear on the album as a bonus. Why should a proper version be officially leaked through Soundcloud without a release of it?

Epworth's version is more a remix than a mix, so I'm not considering it too much lately.

Yeah just seen that. So given it was for the Oscars, 11 days (almost 2 weeks) passed before resulting on the chart. That's how the Billboard chart work.

Exactly.

The sales bump the song received from the Oscars was mostly on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday of last week (I saw the song as high as #7 on the U.S. iTunes chart). Billboard takes a full week's worth of data. So all of last week counts for the chart shown this week.

Although it was in non-consecutive weeks, OL's two weeks on the Hot 100 is one week more than GOYB or "Magnificent" saw (even though OL charted lower). Regardless, it's another "hit" for U2. And with "Invisible" #1 on the Adult Alternative charts, I hope U2 see that they are still accessible.

Just out of interest we're did boots,magnificent and crazy tonight chart on the billboard top 100?

I think GOYB was on for 2 weeks. Debuted in top 40, fell to like the 80s/90s, then left the chart.

Could this be the album mix!! :p

I tend to agree with this^!!

It sounds like the "final" version of OL. We refer to it as the "Interscope" version, ...then there's what I've read as the other two version, original DM and Eppworth mix/re-mix!

I/M/H/O, this "Interscope" version is in fact the "final" DM version!! The pulsating and constant keyboards are at the forefront, as well as the thumping punching bass, along with it's neat and simple ending to the song, ...speaks to me as the "final album" mix a/k/a "final" DM version!! I hear his production all through this one!!

My favorite version by far!!

I think GOYB was on for 2 weeks. Debuted in top 40, fell to like the 80s/90s, then left the chart.

I am happy to be wrong, but GOYB debuted at #37 and I think it fell off the next week. If this is incorrect, please let us know the exact numbers.

"Magnificent" debuted at #79 and fell off the next week.

"Crazy Tonight" did not reach the Hot 100 in the U.S.

Apparently 3 weeks: U2 - Chart history | Billboard

It does seem a bit off when it comes to albums (for Boy & War), but it looks like the singles info is all correct.

Interesting to look at, apparently these are U2's songs with the most weeks on the chart (if the Billboard site is correct, it says its in beta. Might be off, or just not finished, noticed some not even listed):
Beautiful Day (25)
Vertigo, Stuck in a Moment, One, Mysterious Ways (20)
Staring at the Sun, With or Without You (18)
Sweetest Thing, HMTMKMKM, Desire, ISHFWILF (17)

I am happy to be wrong, but GOYB debuted at #37 and I think it fell off the next week. If this is incorrect, please let us know the exact numbers.

"Magnificent" debuted at #79 and fell off the next week.

"Crazy Tonight" did not reach the Hot 100 in the U.S.

I never realised boots charted so high, i wonder what invisible would have charted at if it wasnt for free??

I didn't listen to them back to back but I can't tell much difference between this new Interscope version and the original. :scratch: I guess the children's chorus is different eh?

I didn't listen to them back to back but I can't tell much difference between this new Interscope version and the original. :scratch: I guess the children's chorus is different eh?

The backing singing in the chorus at some point has no drums throughout, unlike the original version.

Apart from that:

1. I hear some instruments sounding different, e.g. the sound of the bass;
2. Drums start with more punch;
3. The speed is faster;
4. Bono's falsetto "oooh; oooh" when the song is about to end;
5. Clear ending

Surely if you mean major changes, none. It's more of a how-it-sounds difference and slight details. ;)

The posted U2 Billboard 100 Chart is missing:

When Love Comes To Town - US Billboard Hot 100 - #68
Discothèque - U.S. Billboard Hot 100 - #10

I'm starting to worry about Billboard...:down:

Pretty close to the release of the song there was a alternative version that sounded a bit different with falsetto in the end of the song. Im not talking about the version with the upbeat drum. It was uploaded on youtube or soundcloud if I remember right.

I'm less enthusiastic about Invisible, but Ordinary Love is pretty solid, IMO. HMTMKMKM notwithstanding, U2's soundtrack songs haven't really grabbed me, so I was certainly pleasantly surprised when I first heard OL.

So this morning I got an email from U2.com that "Ordinary Love" "MIGHT" be played and he idea is to have the crowd be the chorus.

FFS....this is the Joshua Tree Tour 2017....Ordinary Love is an incredibly average song that when played does almost nothing to the crowd or atmosphere. It's filler!

I really hope they don't waste a song slot on this song for this tour. I would rather they play any song from SOI over OL.

It's not a bad song...it's just a very average, mediocre dare I say...ordinary song.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom