Ordinary Love Discussion (Part 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This whining about Bono and Bush is, and has always been, some of the most ridiculous stuff going.

Look, I'm no fan of Bush by a long shot. I do international work and haven't lived in America since 2000...and George Bush as President certainly didn't make that any easier. But setting aside the fact that Bush put more AID money and programs into Africa than all of his predecessors combined...and significantly more than the current President, it should come as no surprise that Bono has some sort of affection for the guy who did so much for his pet project. In fact, you could argue, correctly, that had Bono not cozied up to Bush (and the conservatives in congress), a lot of that money never would have made it to Africa. So Bono's actions, in a very real way, saved lives. But it seems a lot of people would rather him be combative, and retain some ideological purity than get results.

But more to the point, it was at Mandela's memorial service for crying out loud. You know, the guy who forgave his white jailers, invited them to his inauguration, invited his oppressors to form a government with him, and set aside vengeance in favour of reconciliation. The guy who put pragmatism above ideology after spending decades in prison...who would work with anyone, including his sworn enemies, to get results for his country. Yeah, way to get in the spirit of the moment by begrudging Bono a moment with George f**king Bush. Africa is actually one of the few places in the world where Bush is kind of respected.

Finally...Hitler? Anyone who brings Hitler into any discussion of American politics, no matter how benignly or the intent, has pretty much given up any kind of intellectual high ground. When you bring Hitler into the discussion, you're pretty much saying "I don't have anything else, I'm out of ideas." And here's another thing...whenever you say "I'm not comparing X to Hitler, but..."...you're comparing X to Hitler.

Yeah, sorry for the rant, this belongs in FYM. But Hitler. Crikey.

But more to the point, it was at Mandela's memorial service for crying out loud. You know, the guy who forgave his white jailers, invited them to his inauguration, invited his oppressors to form a government with him, and set aside vengeance in favour of reconciliation. The guy who put pragmatism above ideology after spending decades in prison...who would work with anyone, including his sworn enemies, to get results for his country. Yeah, way to get in the spirit of the moment by begrudging Bono a moment with George f**king Bush. Africa is actually one of the few places in the world where Bush is kind of respected.

giphy.gif

Bono can hang out with whoever he wants, all I said was that I throw up in my mouth every time he sees him with George W Bush. I'm not necessarily upset with Bono, I get his reasons and all. I just hate George, hence the throwing up in my mouth.

This whining about Bono and Bush is, and has always been, some of the most ridiculous stuff going.

Look, I'm no fan of Bush by a long shot. I do international work and haven't lived in America since 2000...and George Bush as President certainly didn't make that any easier. But setting aside the fact that Bush put more AID money and programs into Africa than all of his predecessors combined...and significantly more than the current President, it should come as no surprise that Bono has some sort of affection for the guy who did so much for his pet project. In fact, you could argue, correctly, that had Bono not cozied up to Bush (and the conservatives in congress), a lot of that money never would have made it to Africa. So Bono's actions, in a very real way, saved lives. But it seems a lot of people would rather him be combative, and retain some ideological purity than get results.

Finally...Hitler? Anyone who brings Hitler into any discussion of American politics, no matter how benignly or the intent, has pretty much given up any kind of intellectual high ground. When you bring Hitler into the discussion, you're pretty much saying "I don't have anything else, I'm out of ideas." And here's another thing...whenever you say "I'm not comparing X to Hitler, but..."...you're comparing X to Hitler.

Yeah, sorry for the rant, this belongs in FYM. But Hitler. Crikey.

I know precisely what the fuck I wrote, and I know that I never compared the crimes of the Nazi's to George Bush. And more importantly, so do you.

Okay now. Seriously.

Take the war criminal conversation elsewhere. It's a good one, just move it the fuck out of here.

I got my Master's degree last December and have spent the last 11 months applying to literally almost 200 jobs, and I'm still unemployed. And I blame the current president for a great deal of my predicament. Yet my life is not so full of anger that I would start to seethe if someone posted a picture of him and Bono together. Good Lord.

Seriously. This fixation people have on President Bush has to be unhealthy. We get it. You think there's nothing that makes you appear more intelligent than stating in public that you don't like George W. Bush. Congratulations. How profound and edgy you are. :applaud:

I got my Master's degree last December and have spent the last 11 months applying to literally almost 200 jobs, and I'm still unemployed. And I blame the current president for a great deal of my predicament. Yet my life is not so full of anger that I would start to seethe if someone posted a picture of him and Bono together. Good Lord.

Seriously. This fixation people have on President Bush has to be unhealthy. We get it. You think there's nothing that makes you appear more intelligent than stating in public that you don't like George W. Bush. Congratulations. How profound and edgy you are. :applaud:

Seriously? Come on. Do you really think that I had a fit of rage when I saw that picture? I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. Big difference! :angry:

Me too..... :shrug: ....... I wouldn't say it would even crack my top 40 U2 songs but it's not the worst song I've heard by them by a long shot.... hey, it's NOT GOYB.

High praise. :)

As I said before, Ordinary Love gives U2 some cover...when the first single finally comes out, no matter how it sounds, we'll probably be able so say "Hey, at least it's not Ordinary Love"!

Gave Ordinary Love a listen today. Far from being a 'grower', I'm actually finding it to be a 'shrinker' lol. Tedious adult contemporary vanilla pop-rock. The only reason I've given this song the time of day is because it's by my favorite band of all time. But it's completely bereft of the invention, passion and general chutzpah that made me a life-long fan of theirs. I'm not so dyed-in-the-wool that I'll proclaim everything they put out to be fantastic "once you understand what they were trying to do" nonsensical bullshit. If the first single is as bland as OL...gawd, it'll be time to hit panic mode for this album.

It is ludicrous to blame one person for anything. Bush or Obama.

Sure the president makes the final decision, but they are reacting to a million moving parts like global economies, blah blah blah, and they are also working within hostile environments like Congress who can be obstructionist to earn political points, rather than actually serve the interests of the people. Anyone who thinks a President is omnipotent and can actually influence more than about 20% of things that affect their lives is an idiot.

Gave Ordinary Love a listen today. Far from being a 'grower', I'm actually finding it to be a 'shrinker' lol. Tedious adult contemporary vanilla pop-rock. The only reason I've given this song the time of day is because it's by my favorite band of all time. But it's completely bereft of the invention, passion and general chutzpah that made me a life-long fan of theirs. I'm not so dyed-in-the-wool that I'll proclaim everything they put out to be fantastic "once you understand what they were trying to do" nonsensical bullshit. If the first single is as bland as OL...gawd, it'll be time to hit panic mode for this album.

That's very brave of you, and speaks highly of you as a human being.

It is ludicrous to blame one person for anything. Bush or Obama. Sure the president makes the final decision, but they are reacting to a million moving parts like global economies, blah blah blah, and they are also working within hostile environments like Congress who can be obstructionist to earn political points, rather than actually serve the interests of the people. Anyone who thinks a President is omnipotent and can actually influence more than about 20% of things that affect their lives is an idiot.

Well, a president can directly influence going to war.

The state of the economy, on the other hand, seems insane to lay soley at the foot of a president. There really is only so much a single person can do.

Why just because you don't like it they should hit panic buttons?

Where did I say "they" should hit the panic buttons? I have no idea which buttons they may or may not be pressing. For all I know, they're still congratulating themselves for delivering such a worthy tribute to the late great Nelson Mandela.

That's very brave of you, and speaks highly of you as a human being.

Yea. If you feel the need to reply to one my posts, it'd be much appreciated if you tried to compose something other than some snarky riposte. Thanks awfully.

Yea. If you feel the need to reply to one my posts, it'd be much appreciated if you tried to compose something other than some snarky riposte. Thanks awfully.

Think you should check the tone of your post, basically those who like it are just the ones who like everything they put out etc etc it's the same argument all the time

I'm struggling to recall where this sentiment or anything remotely resembling it was expressed by people who like the song. :shrug:

This sentiment is becoming an increasingly common gambit by what I term the "U2 apologists" on fansite forums. You don't understand what U2 were trying to achieve, ergo you don't appreciate the song. It was used various times to defend the lyrical content of GOYB, now Ordinary Love. And it will probably be repeated ad nauseum for the next batch of howlers.​

This sentiment is becoming an increasingly common gambit by what I term the "U2 apologists" on fansite forums. You don't understand what U2 were trying to achieve, ergo you don't appreciate the song. It was used various times to defend the lyrical content of GOYB, now Ordinary Love. And it will probably be repeated ad nauseum for the next batch of howlers.

This is irony gold :lmao:

When you write something that has substance beyond the self-serving, you'll be the first to know.

Me too..... :shrug: ....... I wouldn't say it would even crack my top 40 U2 songs but it's not the worst song I've heard by them by a long shot.... hey, it's NOT GOYB.

At least GOYB has a very good riff and guitar work (even some U2-haters friends recognized it) and a some structural elements a little different from the same old thing.

Back
Top Bottom