Ongoing Mass Shooting Thread #3... that's right, a third thread. Because 'Murica.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They ranged in age from 14 to 76 years old

The names and ages of those killed in the tragic events on Wednesday were confirmed with the consent of their families, at a press conference on Friday afternoon. They ranged in age from 14 to 76 years old.

The victims were named as Ronald Morin, 55, Peyton Brewer Ross, 40; Joshua Seal, 36; Bryan MacFarlane, 41; Joseph Walker, 47; Arthur Strout, 42; Maxx Hathaway, 35; Stephen Vozzella, 45; Thomas Conrad, 34; Michael Deslauriers, 51; Jason Walker, 51; Tricia Asselin, 53; William Brackett, 48; and Keith Macneir, 64.

Father and son William and Aaron Young, 44 and 14, respectively were also named by police, as were Bob and Lucy Violette, 76 and 73, respectively.

What I don't get is that if this is a mental health issue, why isn't congress rushing to pass legislation that directly impacts the root of the issue?[/QUOTE

Exactly. Why aren't they doing that? Well they're seemingly more concerned with Hunter Biden, drag queens, banning books, etc. Why aren't they doing that? Because they don't really care, they're just hiding behind mental health to avoid doing anything about guns.

Why do they oppose red flag laws to take guns away from people who have these mental health issues? Because the NRA opposes them, and these fools in Congress are on their payroll.

It's just another day another mass shooting in the greatest country in the world. Barf

Sorry messed up the quote

Ehhh, state-sponsored psych hospitals started trending down not long after the WWII era. The general public began finding out how bad the living conditions were in a lot of them. And you had new antipsychotic medicines etc marketed hard and begin to get the full blessing of the federal regulators. Just pop some of these great new crazy pills. It's cheaper, and it's on an outpatient basis. We think they work. Everyone's happy, Problem solved!

JFK came along and supported the deinstitutionalize effort in mental care.

LJB came along after, along with Congress they did Medicaid, but one of things not covered by the feds was inpatient psychiatric hospital care in the states. So the states kept moving away from the expensive intensive inpatient stuff. And yeah, money always ALWAYS figures in to why decisions are made. When does it not?

Hindsight's 20/20. I'm not pointing the finger at the players above, or Ronald Reagan. It's a tough social problem that's never going to go away.

Conditions in regular hospitals also suck. That doesn’t mean we should just not have hospitals. We should fix them. Though I think your timeline is a bit off. A lot of government mental health legislation was headed in the positive direction until JFK / Nixon / Reagan. I’m happy to point a finger at all of them. They all chipped away at the institution. Reagan just came in with the chainsaw.

It’s exceptionally irritating that this is treated like a partisan issue though. There’s general inaction. I will admit while my view hasn’t changed, I’ve become a much louder mouth about it when I became a home owner in a city. It is sad to see people sleeping outside for no apparent reason other than their lack of control of their own mind, it’s gross that we don’t do anything about it other than give them some food on a volunteer basis or whatever, and, to what really pushed me over the edge, I don’t like smelling peoples piss and hearing people screaming at walls every night. But you have one crowd who really is afraid to address it because they’ll be perceived as… what, inhumane? and another crowd who actually capitalized on the opportunity to criticize the other crowd for the condition that actually literally has nothing to do with who is running the city. Fact: there are more homeless people in cities because there are more people in cities. Among other reasons why.

But bringing it back to the topic at hand, you can’t even begin to move the needle on gun safety with supposed mental health checks if you don’t have a mental health infrastructure. Do you know how laughably easy it is to bypass that shit?

What I don't get is that if this is a mental health issue, why isn't congress rushing to pass legislation that directly impacts the root of the issue?

When someone says “assault weapons ban” you get a pretty clear idea of what that legislation will contain. When someone says “mental health issues” it is vague and easy to platform as a viewpoint. When you turn it into a clear idea, like “red flag flaw that takes away someone’s gun if they’re deemed unfit,” all of the sudden it’s not what they meant.

Conditions in regular hospitals also suck.

I know there are under-performing regular hospitals out there. But I'm not about to compare conditions in hospitals versus mental institutions in present time. Lack of information on my part. And apples & oranges, maybe?

But bringing it back to the topic at hand, you can’t even begin to move the needle on gun safety with supposed mental health checks if you don’t have a mental health infrastructure. Do you know how laughably easy it is to bypass that shit?

Yep, I do have an idea of how easy it is for a motivated, troubled person.
The events on Wednesday in the Lewiston/Auburn area were another cold, cold reminder though.

The Lewiston gunman used a Ruger SFAR, an AR-10 that fires a .308 caliber cartridge, even more powerful than the AR-15. Photos suggest his rifle was equipped with tactical gear, including an optic or red-dot sight, a flashlight, and 20-round magazines.

https://www.wmtw.com/article/maine-gun-laws-lewiston-shooting/45660580

LEWISTON, Maine —
Maine's gun laws are coming under scrutiny after a mass shooting killed 18 people at two different locations in Lewiston.

Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence says the state is behind others in the nation when it comes to gun laws.

During its annual grading of laws, the gun violence prevention group gave Maine an 'F'.

"They don't require background checks on all gun purchases, they don't have a strong law that allows a concerned family member to petition a court to temporarily remove guns from someone who's at high risk of committing violence," Allison Anderman said.

Maine doesn't require permits to carry guns, and the state has a longstanding culture of gun ownership that is tied to its traditions of hunting and sport shooting.

In the state, concealed carry without a permit is limited to people who are 21 or older, with the following exception: If a person is 18 years of age or older and is on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard, or has been honorably discharged from the Armed Forces or the National Guard, and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm, the person may carry a concealed handgun.

A person who is 18-20 years old and without the referenced military qualifications must have a permit to carry concealed. The law applies to both residents of Maine and non-residents.

Some recent attempts by gun control advocates to tighten the state’s gun laws have failed. Proposals to require background checks for private gun sales and create a 72-hour waiting period for gun purchases failed earlier this year. Proposals that focused on school security and banning bump stocks failed in 2019.

State residents have also voted down some attempts to tighten gun laws in Maine. A proposal to require background checks for gun sales failed in a 2016 public vote.

i feel this one's going to be a bad one... and from reports off the police scanners, it's not over yet despite what is being reported

CNN said incident at airport. Just a few days ago I read report of Vegas stopping some 16 year old from a possible shooting. This has been another sad day.

there is a ground stop at LAS.

edit: no reason to believe it's anything more than proximity. anyone who's left LAS headed towards the strip knows that a common route for taxis/ubers is to go right by the Thomas and Mack Center.

apparently there's staging taking place just outside the airport.

Last edited:
Those kids should be high school seniors applying for college and picking out prom dresses.
Fucking tragedy that should never have happened and should never have been allowed to be repeated in Texas and other places.
Fuck the 2nd amendment, fuck Alex Jones and fuck anyone not in favor of reasonable gun legislation.

Those kids should be high school seniors applying for college and picking out prom dresses.
Fucking tragedy that should never have happened and should never have been allowed to be repeated in Texas and other places.
Fuck the 2nd amendment, fuck Alex Jones and fuck anyone not in favor of reasonable gun legislation.

you don't understand - sandy hook happened because the school was a gun free zone. if those kids had uzis, it wouldn't have happened.

ABC News Jan 14th

The Iowa high school principal who was shot and wounded while trying to protect his students during a school shooting earlier this month has died from his injuries, according to the school district.

Perry High School Principal Dan Marburger was among seven people injured in the Jan. 4 shooting. One student, 11-year-old sixth grader Ahmir Jolliff, was killed.

"Our entire state is devastated by the news of Dan Marburger's death," Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds said in a statement Sunday. "Dan courageously put himself in harm's way to protect his students, and ultimately gave his own life to save them. He will forever be remembered for his selfless and heroic actions. May he rest in peace."

Reynolds ordered all flags in Iowa to be lowered to half-staff.

And yet, despite her words here, Reynolds and the GOP will continue to do absolutely nothing to ensure that tragedies like this don't ever happen again. Because '"MURICA! Second Amendment!" If I could, I'd love to make it so that she and the GOP have to pay for the funerals of those who died, as well as all the medical bills for those who were injured.

So awful.

So if one of the students had a gun at that moment, could they have perceived him to be a bad guy with a gun and shot him???

Hopefully a precedent setting case

NBC News

PONTIAC, Mich. — Jennifer Crumbley, the Michigan woman charged in connection with her son’s deadly school shooting rampage in 2021, was convicted Tuesday of involuntary manslaughter in the unprecedented case.

The unanimous verdict came on the second day of jury deliberations in a landmark trial in which Crumbley became the first parent to be held criminally responsible for a mass shooting committed by their child.

Crumbley, 45, was convicted on all four counts of involuntary manslaughter — one for each of the victims in the attack at Oxford High School in November 2021 — that she faced.

Her son, Ethan, now 17, pleaded guilty as an adult to murder, terrorism and other crimes and was sentenced in December to life in prison without parole.

Now, she faces up to 15 years in prison per count and remains held on bond. She will be sentenced April 9.

"It was very difficult," a member of the jury said after the verdict. "Lives hung in the balance, and we took that very seriously.

The juror said the decision hinged in large part on who was the last adult to handle the weapon.

"The thing that really hammered it home was that she was the last adult with the gun," the juror said.

Marjorie Stoneman Douglas HS Parkland FL, six years ago today
  • Alyssa Alhadeff, 14
  • Scott Beigel, 35
  • Martin Duque, 14
  • Nicholas Dworet, 17
  • Aaron Feis, 37
  • Jaime Guttenberg, 14
  • Chris Hixon, 49
  • Luke Hoyer, 15
  • Cara Loughran, 14
  • Gina Montalto, 14
  • Joaquin Oliver, 17
  • Alaina Petty, 14
  • Meadow Pollack, 18
  • Helena Ramsay, 17
  • Alex Schachter, 14
  • Carmen Schentrup, 16
  • Peter Wang, 15

FLkRFyYXoAMI0Tk.jpg

Hopefully a precedent setting case

NBC News

PONTIAC, Mich. — Jennifer Crumbley, the Michigan woman charged in connection with her son’s deadly school shooting rampage in 2021, was convicted Tuesday of involuntary manslaughter in the unprecedented case.

The unanimous verdict came on the second day of jury deliberations in a landmark trial in which Crumbley became the first parent to be held criminally responsible for a mass shooting committed by their child.

Crumbley, 45, was convicted on all four counts of involuntary manslaughter — one for each of the victims in the attack at Oxford High School in November 2021 — that she faced.

Her son, Ethan, now 17, pleaded guilty as an adult to murder, terrorism and other crimes and was sentenced in December to life in prison without parole.

Now, she faces up to 15 years in prison per count and remains held on bond. She will be sentenced April 9.

"It was very difficult," a member of the jury said after the verdict. "Lives hung in the balance, and we took that very seriously.

The juror said the decision hinged in large part on who was the last adult to handle the weapon.

"The thing that really hammered it home was that she was the last adult with the gun," the juror said.
I have mixed feelings on this. On the pro side, I like that it could start to potentially force shitty parents to you know....actually parent by getting their kids the mental health the need, keeping guns locked up and not accessible, not supplying their kids with fire arms, etc.

On the other hand, I would feel for the parent if they did take the appropriate steps, were a good, loving parent, and were held accountable.

I admittingly don't know the exact details of this case, so maybe this parent was a real awful one and it made sense to send her to prison.

When you read all of the details of the case the parents should be legally charged and found guilty. They were even asked to come pick him up from school and I believe they were told it was because of serious concerns the school had about their son's mental health and behavior, and they refused to pick him up. Not sure if it was the same day as the murders, would have to look that up.

The details of the case are chilling, just irresponsible and negligent at every turn. Of course I'm sure many states will try to pass laws to prevent parents from being held legally liable because of this case.

Back
Top Bottom