Offical English Footy Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we have a very good back up in Gael Clichy (he is pretty much a clone!). Cole only has 2 years left. If he refuses to sign new contract then we should sell him for £20million to Chelsea. Really hope he stays but its pointless keeping an unhappy player.

Yeah - agree with ur last statement there Party Boy. Tho they'll probably try and get £30m or sth for him! To really milk it!:wink:

Well done Man City for the 0-0 with Chelsea yesterday!! Only 9 points the gap now!

The Chelsea fan thinks it would be best if he lays low for a couple of days. I know I should be greatfull but just a quick whinge, we haven't got another home game for over a month now and that's a Champions League game. That is unless we need a replay with Newcastle!

Last edited:
9 points is not a huge amount, esp when you still have to play Man U away. As an Arsenal fan, we are only 2 points behind Man U. If Man U can be considered still contenders, then surely so can we! Our next 5 games are against teams in lower half of league. IF we can win all those games (we need to), then it will put some pressure on Chelsea. Esp as their next game is away to Everton -tough game.

Party Boy said:
9 points is not a huge amount, esp when you still have to play Man U away. As an Arsenal fan, we are only 2 points behind Man U. If Man U can be considered still contenders, then surely so can we! Our next 5 games are against teams in lower half of league. IF we can win all those games (we need to), then it will put some pressure on Chelsea. Esp as their next game is away to Everton -tough game.

I don't know how difficult Everton's going to be, I can't see them finishing where they are at the moment and they were played off the park by Southampton yesterday.
Chelsea's run in isn't that difficult the Man United game is going to be posponed and by the time Arsenal visit the Bridge the title should be wrapped up. That game will have nothing to trouble us as long as the ref is remotely neutral. All the other games are very winnable.

tarquin, some good points. One thing tho, without Robben, Chelsea do seem to be less fluid and not so much of a threat. Granted, that your defence is amazing. However, it might take one bad result or a couple of draws in a row to set some doubt in.

Maybe its wishful thinking on my part!

MY ideal 11 for England v Holland 2moro nite...

Robinson

Cole
Terry
Brown
G.Neville

Wright-Phillips (Right Wing)
Gerrard
Lampard
Downing (Left Wing)

Rooney
Defoe

Won't happen tho, cos Sven still likes to kiss Beckhams ass and keep him in, even tho he hasn't turned in a good national preformence since the Greece game before the last world cup.
Wright-Phillips should be given a chance in this friendly, as should Downing. Bring on Beckham later in the game, and let John Terry or Gerrard captain the side until then.

Party Boy said:
tarquin, some good points. One thing tho, without Robben, Chelsea do seem to be less fluid and not so much of a threat. Granted, that your defence is amazing. However, it might take one bad result or a couple of draws in a row to set some doubt in.

Maybe its wishful thinking on my part!

I actually think we are missing Drogba more than Robben, Kezman has started 4 Premiership games this season we've won 1 drawn 2 and lost 1. That is awful.
The Robben factor is made worse by the fact that Joe Cole remains incapable of playing a decent final ball and Duffer looks exhausted.

I like Mateja Kezman a lot but I think he's probably going to go in the summer. Hmm, if Ipswich go up I think it might be possible to get him on loan, perhaps..

or perhaps not.

tarquinsuperb said:
On England let's be open minded and try to avoid Wes Brown going anywhere near the ball.

:shocked:

Ok...ideally, if everyone was fit, I would go for Terry and Ferdinand. I really do think that Campbell's national career has come. He's been a great servant, and has been unlucky TWICE, in having last minute headed goals dis-allowed, in major competitions.
And I think Rio and Terry are both doing fantastic for their respective clubs.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I like Mateja Kezman a lot but I think he's probably going to go in the summer. Hmm, if Ipswich go up I think it might be possible to get him on loan, perhaps..

or perhaps not.

Anything's possible!!:wink:

I think if Adriano comes in, Kez is going straight out.

I know this is only a friendly, but there are some odd choices in that England squad. Glen Johnson? Kieron Dyer?

And I must say, Andy Johnson. Yes he's the top English scorer, but I think loads of those goals were penalties (and he's missed one or two). Hopefully he'll prove me wrong, because I like AJ, but I think people tend to forget that fact.

There's a strong possibility that A.J will just go the same way as Vassell, Beattie, Jansen and Jeffers - in the way of having a brief glimpse of an England career, and then suddenly never being seen again - unless he produces something good 2moro, or in his next game.

Good luck to Andy Johnson he's in the squad purely on merit and who knows if he gets a goal on wednesday then he could have a lengthy England career, let's not pre-judge. Where was the full call-up for Wayne Routledge? He's another who's done really well at Palace.
Back to Kezman I don't know what's wrong with him. He puts the effort in makes tackles something just seems to happen to him when he shoots at goal. I can't see him sticking around now either I don't think Jose tolerates failure that much.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Kezman at the end of the campaign. The fans seem to have taken to him - and look like they're trying to will him on to score in each game he plays in. But like you say Tarquin, Jose might not want to keep a player who is a 'failure' in his eyes...

i adore kez....i hope that he doesn't leave after this season but i sincerely think he will cause it just doesn't seem like jose will give him a proper run in the first team. i don't really blaim him as kez isn't exactly banging them in but all the same he isn't really even getting a chance in the cup games.

i think he'll go as well as geremi, cudicini, joey cole and possible smertin this summer.

on a happier note....i'm really hoping that all our internationals do well tonight. here's hoping that lamps and duff score. hopefully joe cole and paulo have great games with england and portugal too. and any other of our players that are playing qualifiers/friendlies today.

:dancing: :applaud:

Last edited:
I know this sounds terrible, but I hope all the Chelsea players (minus Duff) and all the Man U players (including Keane and o'shea) playing internationals tonight tear their hamstring and are out till end of season.

From a would-be-grateful Arsenal fan.....

:evil:

Party Boy said:
I know this sounds terrible, but I hope all the Chelsea players (minus Duff) and all the Man U players (including Keane and o'shea) playing internationals tonight tear their hamstring and are out till end of season.

From a would-be-grateful Arsenal fan.....

:evil:

:shh:

:wink:

Well our national manager took a further step to becoming an international joke. He's beginning to make Kevin Keegan look like an astute tactician.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom