NYC #8 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the thing to do is to realize which band it is that you are going to see, go in expecting fairly static setlists, and then be pleasantly surprised if it's not.

Pearl Jam are know for different set list every night. U2 are not. Accept it and enjoy the show or don't go. Seems simple.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

CLSlFJbWwAARhxi.jpg:large

I love this shot. Also...

This was probably one of the most disappointing aspects of the show to me...seeing this on video looked awesome and magical. Being up close and seeing it spoiled the magic....I was all "oh...tube lighting hung up on chicken wire.... that's it." :( lol

Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY - July 31, 2015

---------- People Have the Power ----------
01 - The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
02 - Out of Control
03 - Vertigo / God Save the Queen (snippet)
04 - I Will Follow
05 - Iris (Hold Me Close)
06 - Cedarwood Road
07 - Song for Someone
08 - Sunday Bloody Sunday / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
09 - Raised by Wolves / Psalm 23 (snippet)
10 - Until the End of the World / Love and Peace or Else (snippet) / Words (snippet)
---------- INTERMISSION: The Fly (Gavin Friday Mix) ----------
11 - Invisible
12 - Even Better Than the Real Thing
13 - Mysterious Ways / Burning Down the House (snippet)
14 - Desire
15 - Party Girl
16 - Every Breaking Wave
17 - Bullet the Blue Sky / 19 (snippet)
18 - The Hands That Built America (snippet) / Pride (In the Name of Love)
19 - Beautiful Day / Hungry Heart (snippet) / New York, New York (snippet)
20 - With or Without You
---------- Stephen Hawking Video ----------
21 - City of Blinding Lights
22 - Mother and Child Reunion (snippet) / Where the Streets Have No Name / California (There is No End to Love) [snippet]
23 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (with Bruce Springsteen)
24 - Stand by Me (with Bruce Springsteen)

I love this shot. Also...

This was probably one of the most disappointing aspects of the show to me...seeing this on video looked awesome and magical. Being up close and seeing it spoiled the magic....I was all "oh...tube lighting hung up on chicken wire.... that's it." :( lol

:lol: at your comment on the spoiler. So true.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Madison Square Garden - New York City, NY - July 31, 2015

---------- People Have the Power ----------
01 - The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
02 - Out of Control
03 - Vertigo / God Save the Queen (snippet)
04 - I Will Follow
05 - Iris (Hold Me Close)
06 - Cedarwood Road
07 - Song for Someone
08 - Sunday Bloody Sunday / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
09 - Raised by Wolves / Psalm 23 (snippet)
10 - Until the End of the World / Love and Peace or Else (snippet) / Words (snippet)
---------- INTERMISSION: The Fly (Gavin Friday Mix) ----------
11 - Invisible
12 - Even Better Than the Real Thing
13 - Mysterious Ways / Burning Down the House (snippet)
14 - Desire
15 - Party Girl
16 - Every Breaking Wave
17 - Bullet the Blue Sky / 19 (snippet)
18 - The Hands That Built America (snippet) / Pride (In the Name of Love)
19 - Beautiful Day / Hungry Heart (snippet) / New York, New York (snippet)
20 - With or Without You
---------- Stephen Hawking Video ----------
21 - City of Blinding Lights
22 - Mother and Child Reunion (snippet) / Where the Streets Have No Name / California (There is No End to Love) [snippet]
23 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (with Bruce Springsteen)
24 - Stand by Me (with Bruce Springsteen)
25 - "40"

We made it!

End of the tour? jesus I know bono's memory is bad but he is already forgot the European leg!!!!

Hey I love this band more than anything...but I'd take a more varied set list any day of the week. You can't be everything to everyone; the concept of playing the same 20 songs each night so someone doesn't get 'left out' is a lame excuse. (And the majority of those songs have been in heavy rotation for two decades now) They aren't a movie or a play where everything is supposed to be the exact same night after night and you know exactly what you get. But this band operates in their comfort zone with the stage show and I get it. I don't expect a lot of variety, but I also don't try and excuse their uninspired set list.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

In exchange for the mostly static setlist, we have one of the most amazing stage shows in music, ever. I think just about everyone seeing it live for the first time leaves in awe. I know I did, and that was after seeing pretty much the whole show on video. So imagine what it must be like for those who had never seen a second of it.

That said, I would gladly trade all that for a stripped down show, and a more varied setlist.

Disclaimer - before I'm lumped in with setlist bitchers, I'd just like to say that I'm pretty much thrilled with whatever U2 decides to perform for me, super happy to be there, etc. But if I were to design a tour for them, I'd forego all the bells and whistles so they'd maybe feel a but more free to play whatever, without having to worry about stage cues and whatnot. I'd also have them playing 2,000 seat theatres, since this is my fantasy.

I think the thing to do is to realize which band it is that you are going to see, go in expecting fairly static setlists, and then be pleasantly surprised if it's not.

Why? Why shouldn't an audience go in to a gig by a band they love and have high expectations?

Let's take another band who I really like, and who I have similarly high expectations for - The Cure. If I went and saw all 12 Cure gigs in 2014, I would have seen 68 unique songs. If I saw the last 12 U2 gigs, I would have seen 43 unique songs. That number in itself is fine. What is not fine is I would have seen 19 of those songs at every single gig. If I had seen those twelve Cure gigs, the only song I would have seen every time would be "Close To Me".

Why? Why shouldn't an audience go in to a gig by a band they love and have high expectations?

Let's take another band who I really like, and who I have similarly high expectations for - The Cure. If I went and saw all 12 Cure gigs in 2014, I would have seen 68 unique songs. If I saw the last 12 U2 gigs, I would have seen 43 unique songs. That number in itself is fine. What is not fine is I would have seen 19 of those songs at every single gig. If I had seen those twelve Cure gigs, the only song I would have seen every time would be "Close To Me".

You might have gotten 68 songs, but it's still The Cure

Back
Top Bottom