Numb Fretting Thumb. . .?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GG_The_Fly

The Fly
Lately, when playing for more than about 30 minutes, my left (fretting) thumb has been going numb on me - and the irritating thing is that it lasts for about 30 minutes after i stop playing. . . this hasn't ever happened before.

Does anybody here experience this as well and if so have a solution? Could it be a form of carpal tunnel syndrome? It really is annoying.

Thanks all!

I notice this when playing songs that require (for me anyway) to place my thumb at the back of the neck, rather than the top "edge". Streets is a song where I do this, and I notice a considerable discomfort after playing it from the tension I place on it.
Is it related to a certain song/songs, where perhaps your approach has to be altered somehow?
It reminds me to grip the neck less tightly and relax a bit.
John

johndavey said:
I notice this when playing songs that require (for me anyway) to place my thumb at the back of the neck, rather than the top "edge". Streets is a song where I do this, and I notice a considerable discomfort after playing it from the tension I place on it.
Is it related to a certain song/songs, where perhaps your approach has to be altered somehow?
It reminds me to grip the neck less tightly and relax a bit.
John

Thanks John-

Yeah, the problem is getting bad - now my thumb is pretty much numb all of the time unless i refrain from playing for more than a day, which is tough for me and yeah, it happens when playing heavily barre-dependent songs - like vertigo or aboy, which require a lot of pressing.

I'll get a break tonight because Edge is going to be doing the guitar playing (i'm going to see the boys at MSG!) :drool: :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom