NLOTH Singles Chart Watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How come Lil wayne managed 1M sales in first week. he must have had a bigger first single than flo rida? flo rida is a talentless joke, without being unkind to the guy.

Believe, thanks very much for the airplay charts!
Magnificent with the last update (today) is still climbing, and this is the most important thing to help the sales and the chart position. Now I hope they realize a great video as soon as possible to give the song another boost!

Lil Wayne gets critical praise though, meaning his albums are seen as being more than just the hits. Flo Rida on the other hand is seen as being talentless by the world, all of his hits are with other artists, his albums don't sell at all. Maybe people view him more as a guilty pleasure who they'll download a song by than an actual artist

Lil Wayne's stuff right now is flopping. His "rock" album has been pushed back about 4 times already cause no single is taking off.

What Mag needs is a great video, and possibly some good dance remixes aimed for clubs. Its the most dancey U2 song this decade and I could see it a big club hit.

Well Bono has said Will I Am has done one, that I could see getting club play, seeing as he loves that type of music. We'll see i guess

Magnificent needs to jump back into the top 100 on downloads to be a true hit I think, otherwise it's just radio playing it and no one wanting to download it. Getting back up on downloads would be a huge boost for it

Some people may prefer to buy the album rather than simply download Magnificent. Album sales are vastly more significant than single downloads. The ultimate business goal is to sell albums and concert tickets.

Believe, thanks very much for the airplay charts!
Magnificent with the last update (today) is still climbing, and this is the most important thing to help the sales and the chart position. Now I hope they realize a great video as soon as possible to give the song another boost!

No problem. Thankfully, it climbed just enough yesterday to make it to #1 on Adult Rock/Triple A, so with today being the official end date for the chart week, Magnificent will finally make it to #1 on that format chart. Still moving up nicely on the other formats, too.

Mediaguide has two separate set of charts; one for broadcast radio, and one for internet/satellite radio. It has Magnificent at #1 "Adult Hits", or AAA, on both broadcast radio and internet/satellite radio. Even better, though, on the "Adds" chart, Magnificent is in the Top 15 in adds to Mainstream Top 40, with 5 new stations and plenty of web streams. I hope this is where the song gains momentum, as this is the biggest format in the U.S.

So it looks like the final numbers are in from Mediabase for the week of March 29th-April 4h in the US for Magnificent...

Triple A
Up to #1 from 2 :hyper:
586 plays (+15)

Alternative
Up to #17 from 19
878 plays (+72)

Rock
Up to #12 from 15
168 plays (+26)

Hot AC
Up to #33 from 37
474 plays (+88)

The steady upward march continues! :D

After dropping out for a while, Magnificent is back in the top rock downloads chart on iTunes currently at #78. This is a good sign and means the downloads for the song are definitely increasing. :up:

After dropping out for a while, Magnificent is back in the top rock downloads chart on iTunes currently at #78. This is a good sign and means the downloads for the song are definitely increasing. :up:

Back down to 83

A song has to hit 47 on the rock chart to make the overall top 300 though, so Magnificent has a long way to go

Just saw this on @U2.com. Looks like the Boots remix will be released after all. Curious about track #4 on the last single shown. If Mercy is never going to make any U2 album, I really wish they'd place it right there on a 4-track Magnificent single/EP. I would buy that in a minute. Overall, though, assuming there is no great surprise for the 4th track, I'm kinda disappointed with the tracklistings. No info on what might be available for downloading, either. Since the live tracks are from Boston, I assume that this CD single will actually be released in the U.S., but I'm just not sure there is a big enough market here to really make a difference on the charts. In the U.S., anyway, it looks to me like Magnificent will have to make it on BB's Hot 100 based on airplay only.

7" single (UK only)
Side A: Magnificent (UK Edit)
Side B: Breathe (Live from Sommerville Theatre, Boston)

2-track CD:
1. Magnificent (Edit)
2. Breathe (Live from Somerville Theatre, Boston)

3-track CD:
1. Magnificent (Edit)
2. Vertigo (Live from Somerville Theatre, Boston)
3. Get On Your Boots (Justice Remix)
4. TBD

^ And U2 seems to keep on enjoying the path or boring and (most of the times) uninteresting b-sides, filling the fans with live performances and (once again, most of the times) poor quality remixes.

Agree.

Only hope is that there is maybe a new album coming out, and they're holding material for it.

Of course, we always think this, and turns out to be false.

Pretty disappointing track list.

Just don't get U2 sometimes. They want to be relevant, but they're methods on singles and single releases seems to be very lackluster. I prefer they're not in the public eye ALL THE TIME, but come on. Promote these songs!!!

With all the shitty remixes U2 has inflicted on us over the years, they finally decide to stop with Magnificent? If ever there was a U2 song that could have some mind-blowing remixes, it's this one. Maybe they'll be on the 3rd single? There should at least be a Will.i.am mix and I'd love to see JUSTICE have another go.

Well, at least Justice's GOYB remix will be officially released.

I have to agree, I collect all the physical singles, and the track record over the last few albums has been pretty poor in my opinion. I don't mind if there is one quality remix on a cd single, but it needs at least one bit of new material. We know they might not be finished polished songs these "demos", but unlike in boots, "we do get it boys". Come on. And while the live tracks are good and all that, most of us already have the bloody things these days before they come out on a single. :down::doh::sad:

Agree.

Only hope is that there is maybe a new album coming out, and they're holding material for it.

Of course, we always think this, and turns out to be false.

Pretty disappointing track list.

Just don't get U2 sometimes. They want to be relevant, but they're methods on singles and single releases seems to be very lackluster. I prefer they're not in the public eye ALL THE TIME, but come on. Promote these songs!!!

I agree (agreeing with BEAL?? - the world has ended as we know it).

Plus, supposedly there is a remix of "Magnificent" already out there by a DJ who's playing it on his tour. Why not add that?

I don't mind remixes, but make them timely. "Mysterious Ways" and "Even Better Than..." had tons of remixes, as did "Discotheque" - and all were released along with the song! Now, we have to wait, sometimes for a follow-up album, before a remix of a previous single is available.

And where is some new material? We had an alternative version of NLOTH, and that's it! The new material is really lacking.

It seems that since the CD single era is basically over, U2 aren't going to throw in something special (as they did for singles in years gone by). However, if they did some "2 for 1" special, where fans could get a brand new song if they download "Magnificent", I'd be they'd get a bigger hit! I'd download it for the extra song.

I don't understand the strategy. Last week of March Magnificient was megahit on the biggest Dutch radio channel which means they play teh song every hour. That was great. now it is waiting till May for the official single release!!! Why? The song will be dead by then. and then probably some more weeks before the video is there....? I don't ge it. Bring it out! Promote it!

I don't understand the strategy. Last week of March Magnificient was megahit on the biggest Dutch radio channel which means they play teh song every hour. That was great. now it is waiting till May for the official single release!!! Why? The song will be dead by then. and then probably some more weeks before the video is there....? I don't ge it. Bring it out! Promote it!

The song is on itunes already were 99% of sales will be, if it's gonna be a hit it won't matter when the physical release is :shrug:

And where is some new material? We had an alternative version of NLOTH, and that's it! The new material is really lacking.

As someone already stated, perhaps they still haven't decided what tracks to put on "Songs of Ascent" and they don't want to waste any potential album tracks as b-sides.

However, talk of a second album has really died down, and I'm really starting to think it was just the usual Bono album-release bluster.

The tracklisting of the GOYB CD single kept changing right up until the last minute, so maybe we will get something different before it's all said and done.

Weekly Radio & Records numbers for Magnificent are in. The numbers are slightly different from Mediabase, someone who knows more than me is going to have to explain the difference between the two...

Triple A
Holds at #2
573 plays (+0)

Rock
Up to #13 from 20
138 plays (+30)

Alternative
Up to #18 from 19
787 plays (+46)

Hot AC
Up to #31 from 34
508 plays (+76)

2,006 plays this week on those formats with an increase of +152 from last week.

Magnificent's downloads have again dropped in the US, it's down to U2's third most downloaded tracks after Beautiful Day and Vertigo. It's also only selling marginally better than the other songs on NLOTH. Nearly every track on NLOTH is selling about half what Beautiful Day does, with Magnificent selling about 70% of what Beautiful Day is

Magnificent's downloads have again dropped in the US, it's down to U2's third most downloaded tracks after Beautiful Day and Vertigo. It's also only selling marginally better than the other songs on NLOTH. Nearly every track on NLOTH is selling about half what Beautiful Day does, with Magnificent selling about 70% of what Beautiful Day is

I wonder how up to date this is because Magnificent is still ranked in the top 100 downloaded rock songs and Vertigo is not...

As someone already stated, perhaps they still haven't decided what tracks to put on "Songs of Ascent" and they don't want to waste any potential album tracks as b-sides.

However, talk of a second album has really died down, and I'm really starting to think it was just the usual Bono album-release bluster.

The tracklisting of the GOYB CD single kept changing right up until the last minute, so maybe we will get something different before it's all said and done.

But there are still tracks. "Winter" for example could have been issued. It's already out on the "Linear" movie - so why not make it an official release? And, dare I say it, "Mercy"? And I'm sure there's tons of other tracks, even covers, that qualify. Part of the fun of a b-side is just something new and different, that the artist enjoys, but knows wouldn't flow with an album or be a-side material. With the supposed 40-60 or more songs U2 kept saying they have, to have one new song - and that simply being an alternative mix of an album track - is a bit weak.

Back
Top Bottom