New U2.com subscriber gift known... sort of.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I'm really curious to find out is what shows each song is from.
Don't forget they were hand-picked.

I'm really looking forward to this, actually, the omission of Electrical Storm aside.

I'm disappointed to miss HMTMKMKM, but otherwise it's a good compromise. The people have spoken.

Agreed, we got a couple of rarities amongst the hits. I'm actually surprised that it did turn out this way, I was afraid u2.com would've twiddled with the poll to include more shit we already got.

I'm also interested what shows they're from. I better hope they're not shows we already got.

LOVE that they start with Bad, and LOVE that AIWIY plus Love Rescue Me will be on it, as well as Zooropa and some of the AB songs, also LOVE Out of Control and One Tree Hill. Actually very good choices.

Actually, they said that the tracks are now being mixed and sequenced so I don't think they'll start with Bad. It'll probably be something similar to the show. I'm guessing they'll start with "Even Better".

"The tracks are now being mixed and sequenced while the editorial and design of the accompanying 24-page large format book (see above) is finalised. "

What I'm really curious to find out is what shows each song is from
I saw this list posted on underanatomicsky (aka u2wanderer).. you can find something on the list, I guess:

live+cd.jpg

http://underanatomicsky.blogspot.com/2011/10/u22-tracklist-details.html

I'm relatively satisfied, more so that U2.com didn't pull a bait and switch at the end. Some of my favorites made it, MOS, OTH, OOC, Bad and some of the songs I never want to hear again didn't, PITNOL and IALW!!

Basically what we thought it would be except Mysterious Ways unfortunately overtook No Line On The Horizon.

At least the Crazy Remix didn't make it. My take, could be worse, but it could have been SO much better. What an oppurtunity squandered by "fans".

The only thing that would save it is if they "surprise" was we can download the rest that did not make it. I would not even care if we had to pay extra for the other songs, just make them available.

Actually, they said that the tracks are now being mixed and sequenced so I don't think they'll start with Bad. It'll probably be something similar to the show. I'm guessing they'll start with "Even Better".

"The tracks are now being mixed and sequenced while the editorial and design of the accompanying 24-page large format book (see above) is finalised. "

Yes, you're right, I realised they showed the songs in the order of votes and not in the actual album order, all right.

What a profound disappointment, and a complete and utter waste of time.

15 of 22 songs already available in 360 versions on the Rose Bowl DVD. And 21 of 22 songs have previous "official" live releases. So thats 1 song (Zooropa) we don't have a live version of. Yet another fan club release full of stuff we essentially already have in one form or another. And the irony is, this time the fans only have themselves to blame. I never want to hear a single "fan" who voted for some of these retreads bitch about a fan club release again.

Way to intelligently vote, U2 fans (not directed towards anyone here...I know most people here tried).

Well, it could have been worse I guess, at least One Tree Hill made it, which is the one I wanted most. And I know a lot of people were hoping for Zooropa. That's some consolation.
Well said!

It's a pretty lousy collection, considering the potential there. "Beautiful Day"'s a crap song, but wanting it when it's already on every U2 concert DVD since 2001 and on fan club CDs of the audio from those concerts is tremendously upsetting. Ditto all the hits. I really thought paying fans would ensure a better outcome. Clearly too many folks with poor taste.

I really wanted "Your Blue Room", damn it. Even some songs from the newer album like "Breathe" and "Unknown Caller" would have been preferable to the same old stuff. Radiohead fans wouldn't have been so short-sighted.

I posted in the wrong thread earlier. Just to say, many MANY songs were in fact left out of the final cut and many others weren't played..at least at the shows I went to for 360.

It's a bummer people aren't a bit nicer here. All seems rather clique-ish. I've been nice and polite and received so many short retorts or been snubbed altogether it seems sad. Really wanted to connect w/ fellow fans and instead it seems like you have to know the secret handshake.

Just some thoughts. I wish you all well and wish the experience could have been better.

I'm staggered that an live album celebrating the tour for NLOTH doesn't feature NLOTH, Breathe or Unknown Caller :(

And I'm massively disappointed that we've lost probably our only chance ever of having official, CD quality versions of Scarlet, Your Blue Room and Electrical Storm (and possibly others).

We can probably say reasonably confidently that those 6 tracks will never be played live again. And we've missed a chance to get those on CD, instead going for the same bloody songs that get released time and time again :(

I did renew earlier this week, and they sent the 25% off coupon code in a seperate email to me. However, no menteion of expiry date at all. I seem to recall these only being good for 1 year. Anyone know more to confirm?

And I'm massively disappointed that we've lost probably our only chance ever of having official, CD quality versions of Scarlet, Your Blue Room and Electrical Storm (and possibly others).

We can probably say reasonably confidently that those 6 tracks will never be played live again. And we've missed a chance to get those on CD, instead going for the same bloody songs that get released time and time again :(

Well said.

Though I will just add that I'm not so sure we've "missed" the chance to get these, and other U2 rare live cuts, completely in HQ format. My feeling is that U2 will be releasing this kind of stuff periodically, in different formats, for decades. There's just too much in the vault and too much money to be made.

But as for this particular release, your comments are absolutely spot on.

I think it's kind of ridiculous to assume that these very obscure songs that only a tiny percentage of fans have ever heard live would ever get enough votes to appear on such a release. Most of us have very good tour bootlegs and can make their own live CD with favourites if they wish so.

Personally, there certainly are songs I would have liked to have on the U2.com CD, but I'm not so sure if they would have been really good choices for such a release. The majority of fans voted for stuff that really worked live, so I understand the way the tracklist looks like.

IMO, songs like Scarlet, Blue Room and Electrical Storm never really worked very well live and weren't well received by the audience, so I'm not unhappy they were left off.

I think it's a shame that a song like Miss Sarajevo is missing, also NLOTH and Hold Me should be there, as well, but it's called U22, not U44 or U66. They cannot put everything on there. If I want my favourite live songs on a compilation, I make one out of the many bootlegs I have.

I'm curious at which shows the songs for the CD were recorded.

I'm staggered that an live album celebrating the tour for NLOTH doesn't feature NLOTH, Breathe or Unknown Caller :(

It wasn't a tour for NLOTH. It might have been a tour for NLOTH first, but then it became a tour to promote the UF re-release and later the AB re-release. The band realised that the NLOTH songs didn't work very well live, which I somehow agree with, except a few songs. Most fans never got to see Breathe as an opener. Boots and Crazy were amazing, live, but certainly wouldn't work well on a live album. MOS certainly was a highlight and the band loved it, glad it made the cut.

We could go on arguing about songs that didn't make the cut and why, but in the end it's the fans who decided, so there's no use complaining about U2 making bad choices. I still think most of the songs are great choices.

I respect your right to an opinion Unicorn but I disagree with you, and stand by my own personal disappointment. I'm allowed to do that.

I'm sure plenty of people will be stoked with a "best-of" style set list. But we have that with the 360 DVD that many if us spent $100+ on. I wanted rarities and I'm sure plenty of others wanted that too.

The fact that the very slightest of majority wanted Mysterious Ways over NLOTH for instance shows how opinions vary.

I'm glad you're pleased with the set list though. But I'm not and wanted to share my opinion.

This pretty much sums up my feelings. Color me disappointed.

Like last year's release, this will probably get one listen and then spend eternity on the shelf.

The NLOTH material was celebrated on the Rose Bowl DVD so I'm not disappointed in the lack of it on U22. I like how the 2010/2011 version of 360 is more represented here.

Did people want a collection of live songs faded in and out? Or a seamless concert mix ala Under a Blood Red Sky? Because a collection of just rarities would not seem like a seamless U2 concert if so. It wouldn't feel right without the likes of Beautiful Day, One, Streets, WOWY, etc. Everybody's gonna have a couple songs they wished made it but didn't. But calling U22 a disappointment is a stretch - there's a lot of great songs that made the list. (And it's not Duals)

But dammit, HMTMKMKM would have rocked...:D

I did renew earlier this week, and they sent the 25% off coupon code in a seperate email to me. However, no menteion of expiry date at all. I seem to recall these only being good for 1 year. Anyone know more to confirm?

From what I remember, the 25% wasn't even valid for that long..

I renewed yesterday, however that wasn't without incident. For two hours, the renew link kept taking me to a picture of a Miley Cyrus Hat. I kid you not.

From what I remember, the 25% wasn't even valid for that long..

I renewed yesterday, however that wasn't without incident. For two hours, the renew link kept taking me to a picture of a Miley Cyrus Hat. I kid you not.

Well, U2's website is (unfortunately) run by Live Nation, and I guess we know now that Live Nation does Miley Cyrus as well.

To be honest, even one pence of my money going to Live Nation is enough reason for me to skip subscribing.

Well, U2's website is (unfortunately) run by Live Nation, and I guess we know now that Live Nation does Miley Cyrus as well.

To be honest, even one pence of my money going to Live Nation is enough reason for me to skip subscribing.

(I didn't buy the hat) :sexywink:

The other thing to consider is that U2 most likely is treating this as a live album -- and a live album requires its own particular sequence and flow. It's not just a collection of songs. I remember Edge once saying that this was true of their Best-Ofs as well -- they wanted even their hits collections to feel like a complete album. As a result, while fans undoubtedly had a strong voice in terms of the content, the band also had thoughts on what would make a great live album. ("We need a mid-tempo song!" "Now we need an up-tempo rocker!") As a result, naturally some of the old warhorses would fit into this mold. ("You know what would go great here? With or Without You.")

So, based on the selected tracks, regardless of how happy/upset people are, what do you think the ordering will look like? I'm betting on something like:

01. EBTTRT
02. The Fly
03. Magnificent
04. Mysterious Ways
05. UTEOTW
06. One
07. Streets
08. Beautiful Day
09. AIWIY/LRM
10. Stay
11. COBL
12. Zooropa
13. TUF
14. Elevation
15. Still Haven't Found
16. One Tree Hill
17. Walk On
18. Bad
19. Ultraviolet
20. WOWY
21. MOS
22. Out of Control

I think they'll most likely pace it as close to their running setlist as possible for flow reasons (and to be at least kinda repersentative of the tour). Something like this...

1. EBTTRT
2. The Fly
3. Mysterious Ways
4. UTEOTW
5. Magnificant
6. Beautiful Day
7. Out of Control
8. Still havent Found
9. Stay
10. Elevation
11. All I Want
12. TUF
13. Zooropa
14. COBL
15. Walk On
16. One
17. Streets
18. Bad
19. Ultraviolet
20. WOWY
21. MOS
22. One Tree Hill

Maybe Out of Control and One Tree Hill will swap spots

Like last year's release, this will probably get one listen and then spend eternity on the shelf.

Exactly. I'll collect this, but not get into it in any depth. One listen, and then on the shelf it goes to gather dust.

ETA: And I'd just like to add, them changing the rules at the 13th hour so that NLOTH could get replaced by Mysterious Ways SUCKS!

The other thing to consider is that U2 most likely is treating this as a live album -- and a live album requires its own particular sequence and flow. It's not just a collection of songs. I remember Edge once saying that this was true of their Best-Ofs as well -- they wanted even their hits collections to feel like a complete album. As a result, while fans undoubtedly had a strong voice in terms of the content, the band also had thoughts on what would make a great live album. ("We need a mid-tempo song!" "Now we need an up-tempo rocker!") As a result, naturally some of the old warhorses would fit into this mold. ("You know what would go great here? With or Without You.")

Well, no. I mean, your point is well taken (i.e. album flow), and certainly the band has made the statements that you've alluded to. But having said that, all the songs were supposed to be chosen by the fans (and presumably they were), and the band wouldn't have any say in how the record "flowed" other than selecting the initial list of songs for fans to choose from, and of course, the track order.

If the band messed around with the results, then they were lying about how this thing would be put together. There may be something to this, as apparently "Bono lies". Or so I'm told here.

Nick66 said:
There may be something to this, as apparently "Bono lies". Or so I'm told here.

Indeed he does. AIDS and Africa and poverty are myths invented by Bono.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom