New album talk: I heard that it was big but this... is really big

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Facts checked, as somebody earlier told me I need to do.

"LAPOE" is credited to Eno/Lanois, the only song on the album to even mention Eno. I think this can be assumed that it dates back to ATYCLB era. Plus, I remember the title "Love and Peace" being thrown around in the same era as "Origin of the Species", "Tough", "Bulldozer" and "The Sun & The Moon & The Stars".

"One Step Closer" is credited as being produced by Chris Thomas and Daniel Lanois.

Flood is the singular producer credited for COBL. Flood was also the producer of POP.

Jackknife Lee produced AMAAW only. How does he fit into things? Did they briefly try him out after Chris Thomas, only to bring in Lillywhite instead?

Facts checked, as somebody earlier told me I need to do.

"LAPOE" is credited to Eno/Lanois, the only song on the album to even mention Eno. I think this can be assumed that it dates back to ATYCLB era. Plus, I remember the title "Love and Peace" being thrown around in the same era as "Origin of the Species", "Tough", "Bulldozer" and "The Sun & The Moon & The Stars".

"One Step Closer" is credited as being produced by Chris Thomas and Daniel Lanois.

Flood is the singular producer credited for COBL. Flood was also the producer of POP.

Jackknife Lee produced AMAAW only. How does he fit into things? Did they briefly try him out after Chris Thomas, only to bring in Lillywhite instead?

With an album recorded over such a long time, I think we can over-read into who worked on it and what time frame that puts it in. They're friends. There's no reason Danny might not have hung out for a weekend here or there every year.

With an album recorded over such a long time, I think we can over-read into who worked on it and what time frame that puts it in. They're friends. There's no reason Danny might not have hung out for a weekend here or there every year.

According to an interview i read, Lanois happened to come by the studio for a week during recording. As detailed in U2 By U2, Eno was pissed because of the credit fallout from ATYCLB, when he wanted writing credit for songs and McGuiness said no. Because of that, I'm guessing Lanois didn't agree to produce HTDAAB alone. (Maybe he was pissed too.) So they brought in first Chris Thomas to produce, then eventually had Lillywhite to do the straight producing with Jacknife Lee as a kind-of Howie B, there to throw some zig-zags.

I don't believe so. I believe that song saw its genesis (no pun intended) when Bono was hanging with Michael W Smith sometime after ATYCLB came out.

It was mentioned in an interview circa 02/03. And as someone else said, Lanois actually was in the studio with them, if only for a short period, and if memory serves it was during late summer 2003, August-ish.

It's partially correct that Lanois played Mandolin on Yahweh. That version never made the album cut, however.

The song saw it's beginnings with The Edge. I don't think it sprang from hanging with Smith. That would be North Star iirc.

Yeah, I've heard this also, but have never seen it cited credibly. I don't think that just because it has Eno in the credits that it means that it was recorded in the ATYCLB era.

The song saw it's beginnings with The Edge. I don't think it sprang from hanging with Smith. That would be North Star iirc.

I see now that Smith supposedly played organ on the studio version North Star. I forgot all about that.

And after searching the archives, I now remember things more clearly.
I was conflating the "God song" as originating from the MW Smith connection.

The "God song" was mentioned by Ignoreland (along with Xanax and Wine) and then a bit later U2log confirmed it was Yahweh. That was August 2003, well over a year before the album came out.

Still to this day the only credible pre-album info of any significance ever shared in this place.

Which was after the release of all that you can't leave behind...

So, thus, disproving quite easily any thought that sometimes you can't make it on your own was written during the all that you can't leave behind sessions. Same goes for one step closer.

Those songs were about bono's dad dying, which occured in summer 2001. All that you can't leave behind was released in fall 2000.

So if someone could post a link to the article that proves otherwise, that would be great.

True, but it could still have written during the ATYCLB sessions and re-worked and modified later. The song went a long way until it appeared on an album in 2004.

So the proof is a forum post claiming that these white board titles appeared in Propaganda as having come from those sessions..so surely someone has this and can provide, right?

At the end of the day tho even if its proven that half of the songs on HTDAAB came from earlier albums' sessions, the context of how this whole discussion started was that this somehow means that the songs are more overworked and not really part of a 'cohesive album' (story?) like the older albums were...and I really don't see how that is relevant. Artists come up with songs all the time and shelve them to make way for others they'd rather release sooner. Or are we saying that if they had released LAPOE in 2000 it would have somehow been "better"?

I'm genuinely asking: did the songs necessarily get any worse because they put their rough early versions on pause, toured ATYCLB and then brought them back out to work on them some more? :huh:

That seemed to be the direction Niceman and then U2girl were heading with their argument a few pages back and I just don't necessarily agree that working more on these songs somehow lessened the quality.

I don't believe so. I believe that song saw its genesis (no pun intended) when Bono was hanging with Michael W Smith sometime after ATYCLB came out.

It was mentioned in an interview circa 02/03. And as someone else said, Lanois actually was in the studio with them, if only for a short period, and if memory serves it was during late summer 2003, August-ish.

I see now that Smith supposedly played organ on the studio version North Star. I forgot all about that.

And after searching the archives, I now remember things more clearly.
I was conflating the "God song" as originating from the MW Smith connection.

The "God song" was mentioned by Ignoreland (along with Xanax and Wine) and then a bit later U2log confirmed it was Yahweh. That was August 2003, well over a year before the album came out.

I think I misunderstood your original "I don't believe so". I think I get it now...you were saying (as was I) that just because Lanois had some involvement in it didn't necessarily mean that Yahweh dated back to ATYCLB, due to, as you've further pointed out, it being mentioned as having been created/recorded/whatever sometime around summer 2003..and Lanois happened to pop in around August 2003 also..

Sorry for the mixup on that point.

Where did that date actually come from? The 30th? We have an official date for the movie release, which is today, but where did the 30th come from?

Being a fan for so long for some reason I either missed out or weren't interested at the time in the preliminary song titles thing and now it has really piqued my interest reading all of these comments, pretty cool. :up: It's funny how these titles have evolved into different songs and such. I know this prolly doesn't pertain to this discussion but one of my favorite "songs" that seemed to "birth a a few other songs was Lady With The Spinning Head. It seemed to have had bits of a number of songs in that one.

Anyway back to topic, didn't we find out that Ordinary Love would be played on Youtube on the 30th from a pretty credible source if my memory serves me?

If U2.com hyped the clip a day or two in advance, you'd think we'd hear something today or yesterday regarding the whole song.

If U2.com hyped the clip a day or two in advance, you'd think we'd hear something today or yesterday regarding the whole song.

check your inboxes.. I predict an email from u2.com promising a revolutionary event that will fundamentally, irrevocably, alter the course of human history, to be revealed tomorrow at 9:04 am.

atu2.com will spoil the surprise in advance with news that we finally get to hear the song's Outro in its entirety, and performed by the New Voices of Freedom choir. :hyper:

I have very low expectations for this song, and I think everyone should follow Dave Fanning's advice and not read too much into this song in regards to how the new album will sound.

i reckon the whole thing was a fuck-up/miscommunication and nothing at all will happen tomorrow and U2 fandom as a whole will implode :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom