New album in the works while in NZ and Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm just thinking style for the new album

edge can't really do a thing, unless he goes with a different cap
bono can only go with a shorter hairdo, and that won't do.
larry, well, hmmm, long hair?
but a simple change with adam wearing glasses would be ok by my standards

and while on the thought of a new album, they should call it "Corroboree Baby" for all the work they've done in Australia.

"U2 is everything that’s wrong with the music industry." - Corbie Hill, January 3, 2011.

this quote should be recorded for historical purposes.

Yes, with talentless hacks who don't even write or perform their own songs dominating The Top 40 stations and washed up losers like Kiss and Motley Crue still out there touring and on every other kid's T-shirts, U2 is exactly what is wrong with the music industry:up:

God forbid we have a band that still writes excellent, relevant songs and is still at the top of a live act game they've dominated for decades. And they actually play their instruments.

We lose so much perspective here. No, I don't think ATYCLB and Bomb are U2's best work, but they are widely regarded by people held in much higher esteem than our "Corbie" as great albums. And they are. And most of the general public agrees. Are they JT or AB? No, of course not. But shit, can anyone anywhere point out albums more brilliant than those 2, from any artist?

For everyone who throws up at the mention of these albums here on interference, I can find 10 people at my gym who love both albums and think they are brilliant.

Just like PurpleOscar said, even taking a very critical view of these albums, there's a handful of good songs on them. Most older acts put 1 good song on their modern albums and the rest is filler, an excuse to tour.

I don't know much about Danger Mouse other than some Gnarles Barkley stuff (i'm far from the pulse of whats going on today musically), but is he really the Messiah this guy makes him out to be? If there's anything I hate more than the ubermainstream, it's indie morons like this guy. At least the ones in the former camp don't know any better, but the latter...these types carefully cultivate their cool hipster personalities. I live in Brooklyn, I know all about these posers.

No, he's not the messiah guy everyone makes him out to be.

He is way too much into the indie moron camp you describe so well for my liking.

I trust U2 and know they know what they are doing, so I don't think they'll let him change their style. If they do, however, that would not be good at all, in my opinion.

Broken Bells and Shins especially have no rock edge whatsoever and DM is not a rock producer. I've seen full shows from both Shins and BB and they didn't impress me in any way whatsoever.

Plus, U2 has never exactly drawn guys in their early mid 20s with skinny jeans on their legs, a glass of red wine in their hand, a girl from the local art school on their arm and a chair under their ass to their concerts like the Shins.

The U2 of I Will Follow, Like A Song, Wire, Exit, God Part II, Dirty Day, LNOE and Gone is alien to DM's style.

If it's done entirely his way, he'd neuter them.

U2 get so much crap for supposedly conforming to the kids or the mainstream or what have you, but they actually have been quite resistant to the indie, hipster turn that alternative radio has taken in the decade or so since it stopped heavily promoting U2 and REM.

So that being said, I think/hope they are doing this not to gain "hipster street cred" but to have a new set of ears listening to and advising them on their work.

I admit my bias in not really liking DM very much, and just so you all get where I am coming from, here is what I want to influence the next set of songs we hear from U2:

YouTube - U2 - Two hearts beat as one

YouTube - Trip Through Your Wires (Studio Version)

A modern twist on both these styles would sound very fresh and wouldn't come across as U2 trying to sound too young again.(Boots, SUC).

And it beats what those hipster kids listen to to hell any day!

Plus, U2 has never exactly drawn guys in their early mid 20s with skinny jeans on their legs, a glass of red wine in their hand, a girl from the local art school on their arm and a chair under their ass to their concerts like the Shins.

you wanna bet? :D

I want Danger Mouse to change U2's style. It will most likely be more interesting than whatever else they'd do. I'm not saying he's better than them or anything, I'm just saying at least he's a talented guy with fresh ideas, which U2 could definitely use.

I want Danger Mouse to change U2's style. It will most likely be more interesting than whatever else they'd do. I'm not saying he's better than them or anything, I'm just saying at least he's a talented guy with fresh ideas, which U2 could definitely use.

I agree. I mean, at the core of the music is always going to be that U2 sound. At the end of the day, Danger Mouse only has so much power. U2 are still writing the music and playing their instruments, and the more Danger Mouse pushes U2 out of their comfort zone, the better. The only way we could get a truly great album out of U2 at this point in their career is if they are pushed to this extreme.

Honestly, I think the pushback in here against 'dumb' anti-U2 articles is often just as kneejerk/poor. Some of the responses to that article/rant are, well, its equal really.

What annoys me is simply that you pretty much never get good criticism or praise, or even I guess 'career summary', from anywhere when it comes to U2. It's always one extreme or the other. Either its that kind of corporate line where the 80s were awesome, the early 90s were awesome, but they got too 'weird' and Pop was a disaster, and then COMEBACKBIGGESTBANDINTHEWORLD for a while, and then No Line was a dud, but wow they're still great live, and here we are. Or, you get similar to this guys article, where Pop was the last great thing they did, but an overly commercial sell out Bono is a twat irrelevent stadium trash should have given up ages ago ipod hawking to save the world tax avoiding rubbish stale retro mining not Radiohead band ever since. It's like U2 are US politics, and you're only options are commentary from Keith Olbermann or Sean Hannity. You're both fucked. And wrong. And stupid. Where's the thoughtful stuff from the middle?

But in regards to music journalism (or random blog rants, or even posts in here) about U2, it's mostly laziness, I think. That, and when it comes to stuff like this, I think it's always easier to really think and try when you are talking about something you love, rather than something you hate. Ask me to tell you why I hate Atomic Bomb and, eh, I can't really be bothered - it's shit, whatever. But ask me to tell you why I love Achtung Baby and I'll give 5 passionate, (hopefully) thoughtful pages in no time. So anti-U2 rants generally don't put the effort or thought in and just resort to the cliched, dumb lines and arguments. Because - eh - whatever.

I agree. I mean, at the core of the music is always going to be that U2 sound. At the end of the day, Danger Mouse only has so much power. U2 are still writing the music and playing their instruments, and the more Danger Mouse pushes U2 out of their comfort zone, the better. The only way we could get a truly great album out of U2 at this point in their career is if they are pushed to this extreme.

Yep. And if you don't think a creatively collaborative producer pushing them along has always been the key to U2's success... And they need to shake it up from time to time, and now is certainly one of those times. I still contend that this will be no different to Eno/Lanois, in as much as how they collaborate, what DM's role will be, and how much of his influence you can 'hear' or feel in the songs vs how much there is no question this is U2. Hopefully anyway. I think the risk is far more likely to be that they won't engage with him enough, rather than handing over too much to him. They strike a great balance with Eno/Lanois. They need the same % balance, it's just that it's time for that spark to come from a different place.

Honestly, I think this will be to some degree an Achtung Baby style shift. Hopefully as wholesale all over, but maybe not, maybe just in what were the real, basic differences, to some degree. So, Achtung Baby-lite.

If you can crudely split U2 – in regards to where a change could come from – in three ways:

Edge/Bono
Rhythm
Landscape

This will be similar to Achtung in that there'll be a noticeable shift in the sonic landscape underpinning the songs. Eno in the background to Danger Mouse in the background will be, obviously, quite different - but not too dramatic in any fundamental "This is not U2!" way. He does light touch behind sparky/bouncy pop or rock songs well. His Vertigo would be less clunky, more sharp, stronger in the rhythm, closer to the way they play it live now, really.

He does stormy/moody more complex stuff really well too. His Moment of Surrender, or Cedars of Lebanon, would not be all that dramatically different to what we have. They'd be essentially the same songs. The same moods. Vaguelly similar sounds. If we're talking just about light landscape/production influence. So, if they take a complete Every Breaking Wave in, and he helps in building the landscape behind it, the mood, the colours, whatever, it will be both noticeably different, but also noticeably similar, or familiar. If that makes sense. Best example here would be the Good, the Bad and the Queen. Imagine that sort of sonic landscape with distinctly Larry/Adam underpinning distinctly Edge/Bono. It’s new, but familiar. You can hear how something like that would not fundamentally change something like MoS or Cedars, and I doubt it would to something like EBW.

But if he's sparking with the actual songwriting, it will be most noticeable in the rhythm section. As it was with Achtung Baby. If they’ve got a starting riff or something from Edge, and he’s involved with figuring out where to take it, his experience would suggest he’ll turn straight to Larry and Adam and they’ll lead it, and probably lead it to something different for them and U2.

What Edge and Bono bring over the top of that is, and pretty much always is, completely up to them. With Achtung, they brought dramatically new goods over the top. New sounds and styles everywhere from Edge. New vocal delivery all over the place from Bono. Brilliant lyrics. Will those two dramatically shift again? Hopefully it's the shift in the landscape, the shift in the foundation from the rhythm section, that finally inspires Edge to dream it all up again. But it might not necessarily be that way and it might still be an album loaded with Edge-echo, and Bono all over the kneeling souls or something.

Point being - someone should photoshop DM’s head over this:

obamachillthefuckout.jpg

Earnie you are just too good for us...interference doesn't deserve your great, elaborate posts.
:up::up::up:
Keep it up man.

Too much time on my hands.

Neil McCormick's 2011 preview: Looking up: 2011 is ready to rock - Telegraph

has this blurb, revealing absolutely nothing:
U2 are threatening a new album with hip-hop maverick Dangermouse at the controls. Following the underperformance of 2009’s No Line on the Horizon, the Irish supergroup are widely deemed to have lost some of their swagger, but, if so, nobody appears to have told them. Expect to see them convert critics and slay begrudgers with a barnstorming set at the Glastonbury festival.

Yeah, but still. I'd rather that than nothing. Even if it's just a means of getting pumped up.

For the record, I want to state that I am excited about U2 working with Danger Mouse. I got nothing against the guy, he's made some good music, and I'm sure he'll shake up U2 in interesting ways.

I just found that blogger guy annoying, not cuz U2 is not his favorite band, but cuz he seemed like the obvious hipster type. 'Tis all.

I don't know much about Danger Mouse other than some Gnarles Barkley stuff (i'm far from the pulse of whats going on today musically), but is he really the Messiah this guy makes him out to be? If there's anything I hate more than the ubermainstream, it's indie morons like this guy. At least the ones in the former camp don't know any better, but the latter...these types carefully cultivate their cool hipster personalities. I live in Brooklyn, I know all about these posers.

stay strong... hipsters can smell your fear.

What are they gonna do, smug me to death? Spill their non-Starbucks-anticorporate coffee on me? (while listening to an Ipod) Actually that coffee thing might hurt.

Too much time on my hands.

Neil McCormick's 2011 preview: Looking up: 2011 is ready to rock - Telegraph

has this blurb, revealing absolutely nothing:
U2 are threatening a new album with hip-hop maverick Dangermouse at the controls. Following the underperformance of 2009’s No Line on the Horizon, the Irish supergroup are widely deemed to have lost some of their swagger, but, if so, nobody appears to have told them. Expect to see them convert critics and slay begrudgers with a barnstorming set at the Glastonbury festival.

I bet McCormick has heard some of the songs.

now, lets dissect the term 'barnstorming'

I bet McCormick has heard some of the songs.

now, lets dissect the term 'barnstorming'

well, i guess that since Glastonbury festival is on a farm, and one of the stages is known as the cowshed, then "barnstorming" is pretty fitting :D

Broken Bells and Shins especially have no rock edge whatsoever and DM is not a rock producer.

No, but the Black Keys sure do, and guess who produced their last album?

Edit: shit, nirniva beat me to it. Missed that in my hurry to come back with my brilliant observation.

Although the video he posted isn't from the DM-produced album (he just produced Brothers, right)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom