New Album Discussion (Is Headache Going To The Superbowl?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the Larry showcase I'm always hoping for but still seems like a decent song, on first listen. I'm curious how it will stack up in the context of the new album. Was this a leftover from those sessions or something too good to wait for? :hmm:

Dave Fanning: "different version of the song may or may not appear on the new album next year"

More: will "probably" be on the album. will be a "very different version" if it does. band are working on it in New York "as we speak". album should be out March/April next year

Wouldn't surprise me if he had the album already, honestly. He's been the media man for the band ever since the early days, always getting first plays, getting to hear the album early...

Fanning speaking about Ordinary Love?

Interesting :hmm:

Wasn't he the one that said it was "no indication" for the musical direction of the album.

I just hope, IF it should end up on the album, that they don't mess with it too much. It's fine the way it is, actually.

It'd be pretty sweet if OL got the treatment that the 'Please' single got...man that's gotta be my favorite change they made to a previously released recording. By treatment I mean how much closer to the live version it got, more Edge, dramatic solo that didn't overrule the song. There's certainly room in the 2:15-2:40 time frame to work some more magic in, even extend the song some there.

It'd be pretty sweet if OL got the treatment that the 'Please' single got...man that's gotta be my favorite change they made to a previously released recording. By treatment I mean how much closer to the live version it got, more Edge, dramatic solo that didn't overrule the song. There's certainly room in the 2:15-2:40 time frame to work some more magic in, even extend the song some there.

I actually thought there was room for more verse action after the solo - they had just built it up to the point where there is nowhere to gp

Still amazes me how much a U2 song can bring me unabashed joy. I dig it

i'm just sitting here listening on repeat to absorb it, and was just thinking god it's weird how a few little notes and sounds can fill me with such joy haha (the little piano bit at 1:11 and the drums kicking in honestly is pure bliss) :heart:

Dave Fanning: "different version of the song may or may not appear on the new album next year"

That's ... weird, considering he's the guy who said we shouldn't judge the what the album might sound like based on the song. (Unless I read too much into that statement or misinterpreted it.)

If it does appear one the new album, why would they use a different version? That's an interesting question. I'd have to guess that THIS version wouldnt fit on the album, as it would sound out of place.

Does that mean that the album will have a markedly different sound?

What does Allan Cross think about it? He's a program director at Indie88 in Toronto now but I don't think OL will get much airplay on that station.

He mentioned it exists on twitter.

It's a bit adult-contemporary for not-all-that-indie 88.

The song is pleasant enough. That's about it. The singing is awful, the lyrics are trite, but it's a decent character-free, inoffensive Coldplay-esqe pop song. It's hard to believe that U2 are one of the best bands ever, that they used to be adventurous and that Bono at one point did not sing like a dying squirrel. Why is he straining to go so high? Why is he doing a Chris Martin impersonation? So many questions...

I'm already seeing the "It's a soundtrack song so expectations can be lower" qualification, but consider this: we didn't have to say that of Hold Me, Thrill me or the Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Can doo right. U2 doo wrong.

Can - Yoo Doo Right - YouTube

It's too bad they are letting you down so badly. They did what they felt was right to do for this project, and as artists I respect that even if I do or don't like it. But I think you're really coming down way too hard on this Coldplay kick. This is U2's sound. Take it or leave it, but whatever you're fighting to prove, it's not going to change the result.

The song is pleasant enough. That's about it. The singing is awful, the lyrics are trite, but it's a decent character-free, inoffensive Coldplay-esqe pop song. It's hard to believe that U2 are one of the best bands ever, that they used to be adventurous and that Bono at one point did not sing like a dying squirrel. Why is he straining to go so high? Why is he doing a Chris Martin impersonation? So many questions...

I'm already seeing the "It's a soundtrack song so expectations can be lower" qualification, but consider this: we didn't have to say that of Hold Me, Thrill me or the Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Can - Yoo Doo Right - YouTube

Feels like its a bit clipped? Middle and end should be a bit longer? It feels like its a little bit tied down, and a bit more room in the middle and at the end would do it a lot of good.

Im pretty sure you had this post basically written out before you even heard the song

Feels like its a bit clipped? Middle and end should be a bit longer? It feels like its a little bit tied down, and a bit more room in the middle and at the end would do it a lot of good.

I sort of figured the 'Are we tough enough for ordinary love?' part would reemerge at the end of the song.

In fact, doesn't that sort of appear in the movie trailer version? The end is a bit longer, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom