New Album Discussion (Is Headache Going To The Superbowl?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meant to type early to mid, not toid.

And I say that... Because it makes sense and fits the timeline as has been reported and rumored ad nauseum.

The Super Bowl is Feb 2nd. If U2/Live Nation are indeed purchasing an ad to help announce the album, we'll know about it in January... as those who buy Super Bowl commercials are not kept secret and announced publicly by The League.

I'm not sure why they would want to go the "super secret" route any further. Every man and his dog knows that U2 have been spending an eternity on an album, Ordinary Love has been out there for a while, there is simply no tangible benefit in keeping a "surprise" element to this album any longer. I was expecting the title, track list and release date in early December. And if they're still nowhere near finished recording - well, that's just plain ridiculous.
Most people have no idea U2 are working on an album outside of this bubble. I talked to a guy the other day who is a bigtime music fan who didn't even know U2 was working with Danger Mouse.

I'm not sure why they would want to go the "super secret" route any further. Every man and his dog knows that U2 have been spending an eternity on an album, Ordinary Love has been out there for a while, there is simply no tangible benefit in keeping a "surprise" element to this album any longer. I was expecting the title, track list and release date in early December. And if they're still nowhere near finished recording - well, that's just plain ridiculous.

Consider the Superbowl ad/announcement. Perfect opportunity to announce a lead single.

thank you. as a linguist major (well, double major with german) i can attest that as there's no governing body for english grammar as there is for some languages, there are no set rules. one person will say you can't end a sentence with a preposition, someone else says you can. basically, academically and professionally, you only should if it would sound awkward otherwise (e.g. the made up churchill quote). stuff like "where you at?" or "can i come with?" is just wrong.

(and yes, i am well aware of the irony of me talking about grammar while typing in all lowercase. you should see my school notes. :love:)

A fellow linguist! :cute:

I'm currently procrastinating while writing my Bachelor on copulas in Japanese!

I've been on this board for a while and can I ask whats with the 'Rush' references? Sorry if its a stupid question just a little lost

I will say this....the music scene needs a jolt of something fresh. U2 is primed to do something big. Music has to do the talking though

I've been on this board for a while and can I ask whats with the 'Rush' references? Sorry if its a stupid question just a little lost

I will say this....the music scene needs a jolt of something fresh. U2 is primed to do something big. Music has to do the talking though

A long time ago there was a guy in here who kept bringing up Rush and how awesome they were in regards to U2. He ended up getting banned after an all out flamewar on the mods, threatening them that he "knew people".

It was pretty hilarious. :wink: Don't think his 'people' ever got down to killing this site after all..

Got a bit of 'possible' news. The Isle of Wight festival promoter John Giddings has released the name of one of the headline acts for the festival next year. He also stated on the radio interview that he wanted to release more information on the lineup but a 'certain' act wanted to wait until 2014 as it tied in with 'their' plans?

There's a lot of speculation it might be U2 but, he's being extremely tight-lipped in a 'wry' fashion.

Got a bit of 'possible' news. The Isle of Wight festival promoter John Giddings has released the name of one of the headline acts for the festival next year. He also stated on the radio interview that he wanted to release more information on the lineup but a 'certain' act wanted to wait until 2014 as it tied in with 'their' plans?

Oh great. Well I suppose this means we have a song called "Isle of Wight" to look forward to.

Oh great. Well I suppose this means we have a song called "Isle of Wight" to look forward to.

I find it hard to imagine that any song U2 produces could be worse than Glastonbury, unless they do a Blurred Lines cover or something.

I know it has nothing to do with U2, but it does has to do with "album promotion" ideas...

Beyonce JUST released an album.
Without warning, without any statement, without anything.

It's RIGHT NOW on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/beyonce/id780330041)

14 tracks, and THEY ALL HAVE A VIDEO !!!
In fact, there's 17 videos, and they all have a 30 secs. preview on youtube: Beyonce - YouTube

It's 2:30 am here. And I KNOW that tomorrow it will be the biggest music news.

Now, what can we learn from that?
Is that the right method?
Is that a good method?

Bowie releases singles and videos out of the blue
Beyonce releases A FULL ALBUM like this

U2 is going the most old fashioned way: buying ad time.

Sure, it's the Superbowl, it'll be viewed by MILLIONS, specially in the US, where they crave for admiration. Because of the US they think POP sucks.

I don't know. I want the music to be good, but I want them to be huge too. ANY Bowie news gets lots of media. Daft Punk's record also was gigantic on twitter.

Can U2 do the same, following the old fashioned way?

What do you think?

EDIT: here's the explanation of the album: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153655829445601 , and it's incredible. Hear it, it has all to do with the promotion and music

Beyonce isn't fighting for relevance yet. Bowie is a niche artist and isn't trying to maintain global supremacy. U2, because they're still the biggest band in the world yet have taken another ridiculously long time making an album, have to announce their return in a way befitting that status.

A stealth attack would be "cool" but U2 needs the machine to prove to everyone they're still a big deal. That they can do something like a big Super Bowl PR stunt. The quality of the music itself will verify or dispel the notion that their music still matters.

Yeah, different world. Beyonce can make it into a healthy percent of the worlds 'news' (given what it is these days) based simply on what she's wearing on any given day. A quick glance around my morning-routine world news sites, and this Beyonce story is right up near the top on most of them. If U2 did the same thing right now, it would struggle to get beyond the Entertainment sections, especially given the act itself (!surprise! album) is really no longer unique. They now need to make a far bigger noise to force the attention themselves. U2 need to drop a mint on a Superbowl launch, Beyonce just needs to roll over, grab her phone, snap a photo of herself and her kid, stick it on Instagram and she's got herself half the planets attention.

The only way they'll do a surprise release is if they drop another album 6 months after the next one, as an experimental companion piece.

Why doesn't everybody's spell check or auto complete change Super Bowl into two fucking words? Cause it's two fucking words.
Why doesn't everybody's spell check or auto complete change Super Bowl into two fucking words? Cause it's two fucking words.
writing it as one word makes it sound like the game takes place inside an enormously large bowl. not to mention every other bowl game is two words. uggggh.

You mean "because it's two fucking words."

If you meant to use slang to shorten "because", then you'd write 'cuz or maybe 'cus. I know that's perhaps what you meant, but since "cause" is an actual word that means something else, your spell check didn't pick it up. And spell check isn't perfect. ;)

You mean "because it's two fucking words."

If you meant to use slang to shorten "because", then you'd write 'cuz or maybe 'cus. I know that's perhaps what you meant, but since "cause" is an actual word that means something else, your spell check didn't pick it up. And spell check isn't perfect. ;)
actually, not to nitpick (mostly because it got me legitimately curious as to what was considered the proper spelling), but according to the oed:

y8m5.png

although i gotta say...case?

ftr i spell it as cuz because it's shorter, if you're going to shorten the word then you should really shorten it. plus i guess it's more phonetic, at least to me. of course it varies based on accents but i say it closer to cuh-z than something like cos or cus so i also figure, spell it like i say it.

actually, not to nitpick (mostly because it got me legitimately curious as to what was considered the proper spelling), but according to the oed:

y8m5.png

although i gotta say...case?

ftr i spell it as cuz because it's shorter, if you're going to shorten the word then you should really shorten it. plus i guess it's more phonetic, at least to me. of course it varies based on accents but i say it closer to cuh-z than something like cos or cus so i also figure, spell it like i say it.

I thought about that, but in that case at a minimum it would be 'cause, no? And let's face it, using this chart, in 18xx it could have been spelled 'kase, though I'm not sure we'd say that was correct today.

Though yeah, perhaps he was referring to 16th century usage when he wrote it. :)

I say 'cause, with the full au sound. A regional difference? But also preference because while 'cause is ordinary slang, textspeak like cuz just looks ignorant, IMHO. ;) Maybe we need a Pedantic Grammar Nerd thread?
waits for Nick to point out that Headache forgot the '

Wait no he already did while I was writing! BOOM

I say 'cause, with the full au sound. A regional difference? But also preference because while 'cause is ordinary slang, textspeak like cuz just looks ignorant, IMHO. ;) Maybe we need a Pedantic Grammar Nerd thread?

Well, yeah, I say 'cause sometimes also, but the way we say something doesn't always make for the correct spelling or grammar. For that matter, people don't say SUPER...bowl. They say Superbowl. No one thinks of it as, "Gee, this sunday I'm going to watch the bowl game and it's going to be SUPER". It's kind of become a de facto brand word. Though obviously it's spelled correctly using two words.

And I agree that 'cuz and 'cus look ignorant on the page, making 'cause the only real alternative if you're going to shorten it. But you wouldn't start a sentence using it, because the uppercase without the correct punctuation makes it look all wrong.

But the point is, if you're going to make a post calling out other's spelling and grammar, you better make sure yours is impeccable. :) If his comment wasn't about spelling, I would have let it slide.

I think the Super Bowl ad will work most effectively if a single is available right then and there for direct download from iTunes. People always have their phones right next to them while watching tv. It's an instant gratification society. Unless it's a super cool or funny ad it may not work as well as saying go to iTunes now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom