New Album Discussion (Is Headache Going To The Superbowl?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, what Satriani thing?

Satriani filed suit against Coldplay for ripping off the melody from If I Could Fly. Coldplay denied deliberately (irrelevant) copying it, and among other things claimed that If I Could Fly couldn't fall under copyright protection because it 'lacked originality'. (lol!!) Anyways, they ended up settling, and while the terms have never been disclosed, a tidy sum must have been involved for Satriani to walk away, given that many analysts held the view that he had a really solid case, based on the similarities and past precedent. For an interesting legal analysis: Joe Satriani and Coldplay Have Settled | Crumpton Law Office

Winter:
G D Em C D C

Viva La Vida
C# D# G# F

I checked these in about 2 minutes, so there may be another minor in there somewhere, but anyone that knows - knows these aren't very similar.

I don't have a guitar handy, but it would most likely be an Fm in VLV, as FM would be the iii of the C#.

Anyway, I'm glad you laid these progressions out to finally put to rest that they have little to do with each other aside from vague, passing rhythmic similarities.

Winter:
G D Em C D C

Viva La Vida
C# D# G# F

Not only are the chords totally different, the progression is totally different.

I checked these in about 2 minutes, so there may be another minor in there somewhere, but anyone that knows - knows these aren't very similar.

It's a similar rhythm and it's synth strings. That's it.

Thank God somebody pointed this out.

Those chords arent all that different but before i go commenting on something Im admittedly not classically trained in, I know someone who will (hopefully, if he has time) do a far more thorough and accurate analysis of the two songs and lay out the full progressions and whether or not they have enough in common to be considered "very similar" or at least similar enough to be mentioned in the same sentence. He's always commenting on why certain chord changes that seem different are actually quite similar because of diatonics harmonics and other terms that make my eyes glaze over lol...I want to hear his opinion he actually teaches this stuff

I don't have a guitar handy, but it would most likely be an Fm in VLV, as FM would be the iii of the C#.

Anyway, I'm glad you laid these progressions out to finally put to rest that they have little to do with each other aside from vague, passing rhythmic similarities.

Until I came in this thread, I never even considered that the two songs were similar. We've already established:
1. The notes/chords are different
2. The instrumentation is different (VLV uses live strings while Winter has synth)

That only leaves "rhythmic similarities." Seriously? Half of all rock songs with a four-on-the-floor beat have "rhythmic similarities." This is a huge non-event.

FWIW, I can certainly hear the similarity between Vertigo and GOYB. Both are uptempo, fuzz-guitar-riff-led songs with no discernible tune to the verses, rather a kind of monotone, breathy, bluesy vocal going on.

Where they differ is that Vertigo has a brilliant chorus people remember.

I actually think GOYB reminds me of Vertigo, but they're not the same thing, not really. It reminds me of it in the sense that it's a (failed) attempt to score a radio hit, and it's basically what Vertigo is to HTDAAB...and Elevation is to ATYCLB, etc. Where it goes off the rails I'm not quite sure, but it doesn't have the oomph, if you will, of it's predecessors. And I'm not really all that fond of them, either, although I like certain live incarnations of both.

I don't think it's a rip off in any way shape or form, but I really have to disagree with you here. It's almost identical, and for a very good reason... I mean, it's clearly got Eno all over it. And it lasts through the entire song (Winter), not just the 20 second intro. Or at least the first 3 min or so..it's clearly still running for almost 3 minutes. After that point the bass kindof runs with it. There are some slight similarities also with the guitar noodling in some parts between Edge and Coldplay also. Very slight.

So I guess I disagree with all you all! lol

(having said that, they were smart to leave this on the back burner. Much as I hate to admit it, Coldplay's song is more accessible for radio consumption I guess)

I'm not even sure this has to be debated. I thought there was an interview with Eno at the time Winter (Linear) came out in which he said that he was responsible for that snippet? He said he likes to bring little pieces of music to working sessions as a jumping off point for bands to get the creative juices flowing, and that he must have inadvertently brought that piece to both bands. If Winter had made the album I assume they would have removed that intro and the only reason it saw the light of day was due to the whole Linear fiasco. Anyway, I found it fascinating that the same intro could inspire the two bands to create two completely different songs. I'd love to see that kind of thing repeated with other bands and other snippets just to get some insight into the creative process and mindset of my favorite bands.

That would be pretty careless of Eno (but it's NOT the same piece of music) to do...as for synth vs strings - I doubt Eno used strings in the demo piece.

Just curious...what instrument (or instrument group) do you think the synth in Winter...synthesizes, exactly? lol

Strings obviously. But everyone here was talking about how "Eno gave U2 and Coldplay the same synth sound" on VLV and Winter, and I was merely pointing out that the Coldplay song doesn't even have a synth sound.

Obviously a producer like Eno is going to bring a certain character to what he produces... that's why bands seek him out. I always thought this song that he produced with James way back in 1993 sounds like a LOT of the Viva La Vida album... especially the synths on the chorus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejU5YAHN3vQ

Until I came in this thread, I never even considered that the two songs were similar. We've already established:
1. The notes/chords are different
2. The instrumentation is different (VLV uses live strings while Winter has synth)

That only leaves "rhythmic similarities." Seriously? Half of all rock songs with a four-on-the-floor beat have "rhythmic similarities." This is a huge non-event.

The chord progression is totally different too.

For anyone that cares, I'll put this plainly.

#1. There are 4 repeating chords throughout VLV and there are 6 used in Winter in DOUBLE the measure. That is a glaring difference.

#2 One song starts in G, one song starts in C#.
That's six steps apart to begin.
The next respective chord in each song is D and D#.
G to D is 7 steps; C# to D# is two steps.
I could keep going. There is no uniformity here at all.
They simply aren't similar.

#3, they aren't even moving in the same direction.
G UP to D, D DOWN to Em, Em UP to C, C UP to D, D DOWN to C.
C# UP to D#, D# DOWN to G#, G# DOWN to F
Winter = Up, Down, Up, Up, Down
VLV= Up, Down, Down

They ARE that different. Period.

#1. There are 4 repeating chords throughout VLV and there are 6 used in Winter in DOUBLE the measure. That is a glaring difference.

VLV= Up, Down, Down

Debate settled forever.

VLV= Up, Down, Down

Yes. If we want to talk about similarities, let's open the Pandora's box of the opening riff of "I'll Go Crazy" mimicking Journey's "Faithfully." :)

My first reaction to listening No Line on the Horizon in general was how much the intro to Crazy Tonight sounds like ABBA.

It says enough of the impression that record had left on me.

how is it that we are this close to an album and we have no leaks? no rumored titles? no Bono blathering?

someone's really running a tight ship over at U2HQ. i'm impressed.

irritated, but impressed.

If they have an album's worth of Ordinary Love's...well, maybe they should go back to the drawing board :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom