New album discussion: After despair comes acceptance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After all of this bullshit they better freaking deliver their best album since Achtung Baby. This has been torture since 2009. No Line was a huge disappointment for me.

Why can't it just be a good album that you enjoy? It doesn't have to be their best since X or Y. It just has to be good, no?

Stingray is cool but the riff is very reminiscent of T Rex's "20th Century Boy" IMO. Then again, Zoo Station has a bit of "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" floating in there. Not a bad place to get inspiration, T Rex that is.

Holy crap.... ur right!

DJ on 104.1 in CT after playing Invisible said he holds out so m e hope we'll have a new disc from U2 by the end of the year.

Holy crap.... ur right!

Of course I'm right! :D

Well, anyway, regarding the talk of "this next album has to be the best ever or else" I think this is precisely the kind of attitude that U2 themselves have and as a result U2 has released relatively little the past 14 years.

Now, if you think the quality of the music from ATYCLB onwards is pure perfection then you are happy. If like me, and some others, you think the quality has been mixed then you're frustrated because you'd rather have MORE music with mixed results than LESS music with mixed results. If the quality is all over the place, you might as well take more shots at goal (forgive the mixed metaphors).

Sadly, more and more I'm beginning to think U2 are finished. :-(

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

They need to stop waiting for god to walk in. Settle for the like the pizza guy coming with pepperoni and extra cheese

Nick66 -- Thank you for saving me the 20 minutes like I requested, though it did take me nearly 15 to read, read again and soak up these Fisher Chronicles.

I find myself on the side of believing a lot of it --not that it matters what I believe, but how could Fisher write that much content that weaves together pretty well and be just some troll trying to gain attention? Maybe this person has a whole lot of time to write U2 fiction on the internet, or maybe a lot of it is pretty accurate? I lean to accurate or at least very plausible.

This part here is a bit hard to believe -- "behemoth that started out as something beautiful but eventually, because of drink, drugs, money, fame, womanising, egomania and endless control-freak b*llsh*t, turned into something dark and destructive"

'Drugs, drink, and womanising' usually ends up in a tabloid somewhere.

The financial pieces make some sense (I never saw the word "broke") but I thought I remember some connection to band members and RIM / BlackBerry stock -- and if that is true, the stock was around $80 right around the kick off of 360, which Blackberry helped present, and has tanked since -- trading as low as $5 and change December 2013.

Other parts that make sense -- tough break-up with Paul; Larry looking and acting like he is ready to move on.

Thanks again for posting this and saving the time.

Hopefully whatever tension exists can be resolved, the band can muster one last hurrah in the form of a solid new album and classy, going away party type of tour... I certainly don't want the final act to be some record selling tell-all book that some or all band members green light to save their pension.

Are they ever in the studio for a lengthy amount of time? Or are they just going to the studio occasionally? There's a difference between pushing yourself for a solid 3 or 4 months vs. a day or two here, then a month later another few days. Speaking from experience, the more time you spend away from a recording that isn't finalized, the more you get the urge to tweak it, mainly because you're just sick of hearing it THAT way. You lose the immediacy of the song in the process, and it ends up being an ongoing project. I get a sense this is what's happening with U2. Of course I have no evidence, but speaking as a musician who's recorded...it kinda seems that way. They need to resist editing themselves.

This part here is a bit hard to believe -- "behemoth that started out as something beautiful but eventually, because of drink, drugs, money, fame, womanising, egomania and endless control-freak b*llsh*t, turned into something dark and destructive"

'Drugs, drink, and womanising' usually ends up in a tabloid somewhere.

Yeah, you'd think that we'd have seen a heck of a lot more kiss-and-tell stories if things had gotten significantly "dark and destructive". With the exception of Adam, none of them ever missed a gig, or were rushed from a hotel room to a hospital due to overindulgence (that we know of). I'm not saying that U2 never dabbled in the debauched world that was accessible to them (that would be ridiculously naive), but these claims sound like someone trying to tease sordid stories that are more fantasy than reality.

Yeah, you'd think that we'd have seen a heck of a lot more kiss-and-tell stories if things had gotten significantly "dark and destructive". With the exception of Adam, none of them ever missed a gig, or were rushed from a hotel room to a hospital due to overindulgence (that we know of). I'm not saying that U2 never dabbled in the debauched world that was accessible to them (that would be ridiculously naive), but these claims sound like someone trying to tease sordid stories that are more fantasy than reality.

Not that I really want to stoke the fire (I really don't like gossip, as it can indeed be destructive), but I think there are many people who have heard various stories about the band members. I get the feeling that no one who has ever been directly involved likes to tell on the band. It seems to always be friends of the people involved who heard something "in secret" -- or people on the perimeter -- who like to talk. I've even heard a story (from one of these friends of friends) about a late 90s incident during the Popmart Tour that I don't want to repeat at the risk of 1) it not being true, and 2), there's nothing good (once again) that comes from gossip. Bono has said he has "tried the slice of the pizza" in regards to the rock n' roll lifestyle, but I really don't think they have spent too much time there…and I really don't think they are there now. All I can take from this is that U2 are probably not as angelic as many believe they are (or want them to be), but that they do try and do the right thing, and they do have a moral conscience -- an extent to which many people who are not even rock stars even aspire.

it did take me nearly 15 to read, read again and soak up these Fisher Chronicles.

I find myself on the side of believing a lot of it --not that it matters what I believe, but how could Fisher write that much content that weaves together pretty well and be just some troll trying to gain attention? Maybe this person has a whole lot of time to write U2 fiction on the internet, or maybe a lot of it is pretty accurate? I lean to accurate or at least very plausible.

You do realize that this is the same poster ("Fisher") that posted fake/false release and tour info, right? That turned out to be absolute rubbish? I guess you missed that part.

According to the standards that have been trumpeted around here repeatedly then, this guy's credibility is completely shot.

And yet then his rambling fantasyland fan fic stories are plausible and believable?

Guess it sometimes really does work both ways! :cute: :lmao:

Can this be declared the biggest impasse in the bands history? even if it came out in June its still been the biggest delay and the storys that are out there. Even if they are 25% true its been a mess. Kinda says something. Not sure what it says. Like I said in another post, this happening in the early 90s before they released AB would have made so much more sense. So many bands have this happen at the mid point at their career.
U2 had SO much more on the line in 1990. I mean they make the wrong move and we are not even on this board. The end of the 90's is even more important then this. Once this band scored a hit with beautiful day and ATYCLB, their legacy was elevated to a elite class . Having hits in now their 3rd decade at that point. HTDAAB and NLOTH just added a bit on to whats already a incredible immortal career. At this point your just gonna be piling on. I mean, if all this bullshit is purely music related, then I just don't get it. They are playing with house money at this point. Your just seeing how close you can come to the stones level at this point. You would think their entire reputation was on the line . Its not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom