New Album Discussion 1 - Songs of..... - Unreasonable guitar album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My expectations are always low and will remain that way when it comes to this band’s 21st century output.

I guess they are very low because I have had no problem with the last two singles. They’re just ok and suit their purpose - first visit to India and a kids’ movie soundtrack. :shrug:

So to summarise all of these rumours with stuff we knew with decent certainty this time last year and through the SOS release:

- it is possible a new single will be released to coincide with the Sphere dates.
- this may also be the lead single from a new album
- the album is one of three possible recordings the band is known to have been working on - the guitar album, the other Songs of album U2Songs mentioned, or Songs of Surrender.
- in interviews in March for the SOS release, when asked about new music, Bono said “well we can’t play the Spherr if it’s not out yet, can we?”
- the band have been polishing the single (and other songs) in the south of France the last few months and it is being finished in LA as we speak.
- Larry and Adam play in the new song

Now for the speculation - I’m wondering if the Larry injury situation has caused them to rethink holding SOA for after the next album. It’s been 6 years since a U2 album, and if Larry can’t tour the Sphere this year, then it’s unlikely he’s ready for a world tour that would start in March off they released a new rock album this year. The more meditative Songs of Ascent may not necessarily be accompanied by a world tour - there might be one of two songs that translate well live, but maybe the opportunity exists to put this out now, get through the Sphere shows, and release the album the intended to drop when Larry is ready.

Given their recent singles, I'm not holding my breath for something decent. Ahimsa and Your Song Saved My Life are just atrocious.

And given the protracted nature of the development of this 'single', it will probably be another overwrought, overthought, uninspired affair.

Same, the odds on this being atrocious are definitely high.

I actually think U2's best song in the last 5 years wasn't even a U2 song. It was We Are The People We've Been Waiting For. I don't love the song, but at least it's probably the best thing U2 is capable of putting out right now. Much like Coldplay does. Ran out of ideas, let's give EDM a try.

I actually think U2's best song in the last 5 years wasn't even a U2 song. It was We Are The People We've Been Waiting For. I don't love the song, but at least it's probably the best thing U2 is capable of putting out right now. Much like Coldplay does. Ran out of ideas, let's give EDM a try.

I’m in the camp of wanting them to recognise their age and status and just make good music with a purpose. Cobbler once made a post about wanting Bono to lean into the non-commercial side of his creativity the way Nick Cave did in 2013 and it led to arguably his most artistically valuable period and being critically revered again.

Atmospheric music that is not necessarily driven by the sound or hook, but the emotion of the sound created. I’d love Warren Ellis producing the Edge. Forcing him to mine the emotional side of his playing.

I’m in the camp of wanting them to recognise their age and status and just make good music with a purpose. Cobbler once made a post about wanting Bono to lean into the non-commercial side of his creativity the way Nick Cave did in 2013 and it led to arguably his most artistically valuable period and being critically revered again.

Atmospheric music that is not necessarily driven by the sound or hook, but the emotion of the sound created. I’d love Warren Ellis producing the Edge. Forcing him to mine the emotional side of his playing.

Well said.

If there is a new single coming then I think that almost guarantees an album and tour next year. If Larry has been drumming in the studio then presumably he's well down the road to full recovery - nobody actually knows when he actually had his surgery and going by his musical input to SOS, he could have done that much earlier in recovery (for example).

That would also kind of fit with the Sphere thing just coming a bit too early but allowing them to record some music, finish an album and gives Larry another 6 months+ of recovery & rehab before any promo and tour.

Post Songs of Experience? Yea you're probably right. It had a nice hook, a good beat and was a bit of an ear worm.

Ahimsa does nothing for me, but I get why they did it.

I don't dislike Songs Saved My Life as much as most here do. It's not good, but it's not bad, either. It just is.

Whilst their recent output might not have been amazing, I reckon the context is relevant.
'Your Song Saved My Life' was made for an animated kids film, and Ahimsa was recorded specifically because the band was playing in India for the first time. I doubt in either case they were using their strongest material, which I assume would be kept for album/lead single work.

This upcoming track is most likely a preview of their next album (and the first in 6+ years), and isn't linked to a movie or anything else, so has to stand on it's own.

I think the effort involved and resulting quality should set it apart in some way.

... Unless it's just 'The Best Thing' part 2.

Though it wasn't the first single, the first song they put out for SOE was that video with The Blackout. If we get a single (and a whole album, assuming this is the "guitar" album) in that vein, I think we'll be okay.

I am an admitted U2 00s apologist. I’m happy to call a turd a turd (American Soul anyone?) but I also strongly feel that the depths of their recent output obscure the highs for most people. Book of Your Heart is incredible. Little Things is incredible.

Re the singles - Ahimsa is exactly what some people had wanted - a heartfelt vocal, an atmospheric tinge, a more interesting vocal melody. Lyrically clunky at times, but there is nothing wrong with them mining in that direction. Your Song Saved My Life is similar. So is 40 Foot Man (probably the best tune of the lot).

They are victims of their own approaches to creating hits here - they haven’t committed to a more meditative approach so when a random single comes out like that, they cop it from both sides.

It’s like One Step Closer - I doubt anyone had that song in their top 10 from Bomb for a decade, but when you contrast it with what followed on NLOTH and then Joey Ramone - my god did I want them to follow that rabbit hole and create something with some emotion and heft.

If Ahimsa and YSSML are the jumping off points and 40 Foot Man and the amazing Every Breaking Wave take from the Disney special are where they are taking that sound, then this could be a really exciting U2 project. The balls to the wall rock song approach is the one that scares me.

Last edited:
There are a few intriguing questions now about this new single.

Will it be standalone (another 'Invisible') to tide fans over, or is this the start of the next album cycle with a lead single and album announcement?

Will it be the 'fuck off rock and roll' track Bono's been going on about, or something more poppy produced by Ryan Tedder?

Interesting that the u2songs report states the single (and possibly others) were recorded this summer, and include Larry on drums. That implies he's doing well enough to drum, just not necessarily to play an intensive tour just yet. But it could mean he's ready to do so soon, perhaps if an album were to come out this autumn/early 2024, with stadium shows in the summer...

Whilst something relating to Songs of Ascent isn't impossible, I still suspect that album would come later for a few reasons, and I would have thought playing shows in Vegas inside a state of the art venue centered on Achtung Baby would demand a more energetic, rock n' roll kind of sound to match that environment.

It’s like One Step Closer - I doubt anyone had that song in their top 10 from Bomb for a decade, but when you contrast it with what followed on NLOTH and then Joey Ramone - my god did I want them to follow that rabbit hole and create something with some emotion and heft.

I always liked that song. Same with Stateless. And Fez-Being Born. Yearning, moody, evocative. Hell, they even touched that on the brief LIAWHL.

I always liked that song. Same with Stateless. And Fez-Being Born. Yearning, moody, evocative. Hell, they even touched that on the brief LIAWHL.

A meditative compilation of 00s songs would be amazing - and it would include Ahimsa and not be weaker for it.

My attempt is a double album 1999-2023:

1 - Soon
2 - Every Breaking Wave (SOS)
3 - SYCMIOYO
4 - Levitate
5 - Moment of Surrender
6 - Ahimsa
7 - Book of Your Heart
8 - The Troubles

9 - Love is all we have left
10 - Stateless
11 - One Step Closer
12 - FEZ-Being Born
13 - Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
14 - Cedars of Lebanon
15 - The Little Things That Give You Away
16 - 16 (There is a light)

A meditative compilation of 00s songs would be amazing - and it would include Ahimsa and not be weaker for it.

Love is all We Have Left
Disappearing Act
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Stateless
Winter
White as Snow
Fez-Being Born
Cedars of Lebanon
Soon
Ahimsa
North and South of the River
Smile
One Step Closer
Yahweh

There are plenty of drum machines out there that Larry could use to get drum credits and wouldn’t have to lift a stick so that doesn’t say much about surgery progress

Seen somewhere recently again that he has been in Monaco with them and is able to play the drums (in some capacity??). Would there be the possibility of Larry playing some part in the later December Sphere shows, even if only on a few songs or on the encore set or something? You never know ??????

Love is all We Have Left
Disappearing Act
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Stateless
Winter
White as Snow
Fez-Being Born
Cedars of Lebanon
Soon
Ahimsa
North and South of the River
Smile
One Step Closer
Yahweh

Don’t forget “Let Your Love Be Known” ?

I just listened to the new Stones song “Angry” and it’s pretty good — catchy, completely sounds like the Stones, and really all you could ask for from them in 2023. If it came out in 1982 or 1973, it bet it would be a hit. It’s not “Tumblin’ Dice,” but what else is

But I can’t see myself listening to it a second time. I just don’t care? And I don’t mean that in a bad way. There’s just other stuff that’s more interesting to me right now.

I imagine most will have this same reaction to whatever new U2 song comes our way.

It is about the hardcore fans for all these legacy acts at this point.

I just listened to the new Stones song “Angry” and it’s pretty good — catchy, completely sounds like the Stones, and really all you could ask for from them in 2023. If it came out in 1982 or 1973, it bet it would be a hit. It’s not “Tumblin’ Dice,” but what else is

But I can’t see myself listening to it a second time. I just don’t care? And I don’t mean that in a bad way. There’s just other stuff that’s more interesting to me right now.

I imagine most will have this same reaction to whatever new U2 song comes our way.

It is about the hardcore fans for all these legacy acts at this point.

Sadly I know what you mean

Stones fans were waiting for something new to come out and it does, then suddenly its just what it is, another solid song for fans. Nothing to move the needle. Just another Stones rocker. Not sure you saw the youtube interview w/ Fallon, but they seemed less interested in the new stuff.

I feel like that with Songs of Surrender. Very excited, heard the songs a few times, and don't go back to it. Sucks but thats what it is

By some miracles maybe they make something interesting.

They’ll make something interesting when they give up on trying to be relevant and topping the charts.

They have the same chance of relevancy as the Stones. They could create the greatest melody ever, and it wouldn’t get noticed outside of us.

So lean into this space and create music for the sake of it. It’s not like everyone who goes to see them live is hoping for 25-30 deep cuts.

If they want the rush of performing then go for it, I’d just prefer their studio efforts to be less forced and pristine

Yeah it’s probably happening. We know so little about what it might be it’s quite exciting, but I’m apprehensive about their mindset. SOS represented a real step in the right direction for me - understatement and texture. Some of it was a miss, but large parts were very positive. I hope this isn’t a total reversal back into rawk.

When was the last time they did a track that was rock/guitar? I immediately think of All Because of You - was that not one described similarly at the time? And we all know what happened there...

Back
Top Bottom