New 30/45 sec. previews NLOTH! (Discussion Only!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Magnificent has a rhythm section that blows the Killers out of the water. That's one of the best beats U2 has ever done.

dude... you haven't heard the whole song.

a synth into a guitar is killers like... and the irony is that of course the killers sometimes sound like they're copying u2, so it's a giant circle.

i never said it was better worse or the same... just saying i think the begining has that sorta feel to it, from the clip at least.

The Killers comparison never would have occurred to me because their songs are so treble-heavy that I've never heard that kind of driving rhythm in the mix, even if it's there.

I don't think I'm deaf. Sure, I've heard plenty of synth-rock out of the Killers. But I don't automatically associate a synthesizer intro to a song with the Killers. The most defining part, at least to me, of the short section of Magnificent that we've heard is the bass and drums. That's some of the best work Adam and Larry have done together, going by the 30 seconds I've heard so far.

it's not an accusation... the way bono sings in no line it reminds me of perry farrell... and the synth intro to magnificent reminds of me of the killers :shrug:

white as snow remains my favorite preview clip... haunting. sounds like something out of kill bill

But its not like anything Perry Farrell did is unique to him. I personally find Jane's Addiction to be okay, but in no way groundbreaking or innovative like other people perceive them to be.

As for The Killers, they are in no way the only band to use synth sounds. I mean c'mon, have you listened to any music from the 60's and 70's? I'm just saying....maybe you are making those comments because those bands are the first thing you are able to refer to, to make sense of the unfamiliar sounds that you are hearing. Know what I mean?

I bet in a few months you will associate those unfamiliar U2 sounds that you are hearing now as familiar U2 sounds. I think we are seeing that many people are doing the same thing, especially many of the people reviewing the album.

Hey now, I'm not saying you're a moron. I'm just saying it never would have occurred to me to compare that song to the Killers, because to be the part of that song that jumps out the most is the rhythm section, and not the synthesizer.

Edge has said in the past they take the best parts of other music and make it their own and they seem to do it better then the original because they make innovative sound out of just taking a sample of what has been done before and making it their own.

The difference is that The Killers (and about 98 percent of other bands in popular music) use the same formula every song, U2 mixes colours and sounds out of many different genres and thats why they have been succesful for a very long time.

As for The Killers, they are in no way the only band to use synth sounds. I mean c'mon, have you listened to any music from the 60's and 70's? I'm just saying....maybe you are making those comments because those bands are the first thing you are able to refer to, to make sense of the unfamiliar sounds that you are hearing. Know what I mean?

This is very common. People take ownership of the music they are listening to and feel the need to defend it. This is especially if the person doesn't have much collection in different music over the decades.

This is very common. People take ownership of the music they are listening to and feel the need to defend it. This is especially if the person doesn't have much collection in different music over the decades.

Yeah, we're all guilty of that to some degree.

There's nothing wrong with that either. I've done it many times. Over time the new sounds become associated with that band and don't seem so unfamiliar or "borrowed".

i never said that "omgz the 2 stolez from janz adickshun and da kilurs dey are such rip off artiztz!!!"

it was simply the first things that came to my mind in terms of a comparison. that's all. there's no need to rip things apart and try to psycho-analyze why i chose the comparisons i did. my bad, next time i'll pick an obscure 70s jam-rock band to compare something to, so as not to offend.

OMGZ!!! MAGNIFZIENT!!!

No really, if the song is as good as its intro....I think its going to rank somewhere around the heights of Bad and Streets.

Well, at least this will finally convince all the people who were swearing the Walmart clip was from the end of Magnificent.

Every other album is working and not this one,why the fuck not!?

This really sucks... :grumpy: and now U2 Exit isn`t working...

Wow. A few of these comments are some of the most condescending things I’ve ever read on here.

It is perfectly natural, given the context (you know, circa 2009) for people to associate the Magnificent playful synth intro breaking out into a full blown driving rock song with a dance-ish beat with it’s closest current, top of mind (and charts) reference point, i.e., the Killers. It sounds like the Killers is in no way a suggestion that someone saying that was only born in 2004 and has not yet worked their historical musical collection back past 2003. To suggest that people saying that are that limited or stupid is fucking ridiculous.

I think its sounding like The Killers makes it cool.

It's like, hey, one of those light dance-y electronica songs... this could be a neat twist.

Oh hell no, here comes Larry bringing the roof down, coruscating The Edge guitar work, Bono howls-

and we have liftoff.

U2 at its best.:drool:

Back
Top Bottom